!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: I need help !  (Read 398 times)

Offline Graham Walters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.com
    • Awards
I need help !
« on: November 09, 2017, 11:55:24 pm »
As in my other post this evening, I am now living in a one bed flat, with what space I do have I rreckon I can fit a layout in the living room, by my standards it's quite small, but I know a lot of you have to contend with much smaller layouts.

I have in mind an 8 x 2 max size area, but I am stuck on what to do, ideally I would like a roundy, with a bit of shunting involved too, twin track would be preferable, with a bit of height, a 2nd level isn't out of the question.

My problem is I just can't visualise it enough to get it down on paper, and then put it into Anyrail to see what it looks like.
Oh and it's DCC

Gimme  some help please lads !
Test Valley Models
info@testvalleymodels.com

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm
Unit 404, The Commercial Centre. Picket Piece. Andover SP11 6RU

Offline weave

• Awards
Re: I need help !
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 01:28:42 am »
Hi Graham,

Have replied to your other post so I'll keep this just trains. Saying that, I probably won't be much help except to say can you make it 2' 6" wide? You might not have the space and you probably know this anyway but just thinking of the curve radii.

Do you have an era and a location in mind? I think that would help me and mainly the much more knowledgeable and talented good Forum folk to stir up ideas.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 08:01:56 am »
Hello Graham

I read your post and my thoughts were exactly as expressed by Chris (Weave) above.  Better with 2'6", or 2'9" width, particularly if you would like a double track main line.  In my view, it is worth giving up some length if space is a constraint.  If you care to look at my Table-Top Railway thread, the Mk III layout is (almost) 2m x 1m.  Whilst a fair bit off the 'Golden Ratio', that length/with ratio has a nice balance to it and I can use Kato 'Unitrack' 315/348 curves.  Something similar would also allow for a separate higher-level line (please see Kevin's 'Windmill Hill' for an example of this, albeit in a wonderfully small area.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 12:18:51 pm »
I can only add that the 2ft width will be rather restrictive.
Could you make it a bit wider (even if only at the two ends)?
And again, an idea of area and era will help us come up with ideas.
All the best
Martin
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 01:06:18 pm »
I can only add that the 2ft width will be rather restrictive.
Could you make it a bit wider (even if only at the two ends)?
And again, an idea of area and era will help us come up with ideas.
All the best
Martin

The era is a bit mixed, I come from the depths of GWR country, and I like the Halls and the Castles, the issue is I have a habit of collecting Class 66's !! ( I don't know why, so don't ask). So there is no particular era to speak of, it's not big enough but I'd like to think I can incorporate a bit of heritage stock into a modern feel layout.

On the matter of board size, why I say 8 x 2 is because I'm being a bit of a skinflint, we have a piece of ply with those measurements left over from a baseboard we built for a client, so it's free, ( we all like the word 'free'), there is another small piece of board left over that would be used to extend it to a max 2'9".
Test Valley Models

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 02:00:40 pm »
The Layout I inherited was 12ft By 2ft, you certainly can get a double track layout on the board, but If you want two levels you'd probably have to sacrifice one, on one side of the board, for a branch to the upper level.
The one problem with such a small width is you end up with a board full of track, hence I'm having to add scenery on a fold up board on the outside of the track.

I suggest getting a piece of graph paper , draw the size of the board on it and then sketch  the track round at each end, join the ends and then you'll find there isn't much space inside the tracks.

It would also probably be a good idea to make it 2X 4ft by 2ft boards, because if you have to move it, 8ft by 2ft is big. Then Try to scrounge another 6 inch board to widen the board, so you can have track both sides of the double track. I find it looks more realistic.

PS your address of Andover brings back memories of marching around the town in the Boys Brigade that was just 47 years ago...

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 02:36:50 pm »
In such a small space your "second level" would seem a bit of a stretch but then you like class 66's so I guess you could put a Diseasell depot on the level.  Perhaps a semi closed stretch of line and run top and tailed weed killer trains.  Actually it could work...

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 06:08:35 pm »
Graham, have a look at http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm#topopage I know it's US themed but it might give you some ideas

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 06:14:33 pm »
Graham, have a look at http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm#topopage I know it's US themed but it might give you some ideas

Funny you should point that site out, I was only taking a look at it last night.

I think my problem is I've actually designed 6 layouts for customers in the past four months and built 3, so I may be going through a bit of writers block, especially as I have another three to do before Xmas
Test Valley Models

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 08:25:49 pm »
I agree to PP's suggestion of making the ends slightly wider to accommodate larger radius curves. You could fix it to the wall to hinge down which would save space and 2 ft  is narrow enough to reach across. So many combinations and permutations. Keeps the grey matter active!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.com
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 08:33:58 pm »
I agree to PP's suggestion of making the ends slightly wider to accommodate larger radius curves. You could fix it to the wall to hinge down which would save space and 2 ft  is narrow enough to reach across. So many combinations and permutations. Keeps the grey matter active!

i live in private rented, so screwing to the wall isn't a goer it ill have to be free standing with beer mats under the legs too !
Test Valley Models

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 08:46:42 pm »
Full of Heath Robinson ideas me!
Get yourself a dining table. Cut 6" off the legs, put the layout on the table top. Get another piece of wood the same size as the table, make a frame to cover the layout 6" above and hinge it. One layout and one dining table.  :hmmm:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 11:15:33 pm »
Full of Heath Robinson ideas me!
Get yourself a dining table. Cut 6" off the legs, put the layout on the table top. Get another piece of wood the same size as the table, make a frame to cover the layout 6" above and hinge it. One layout and one dining table.  :hmmm:

Hate to be damp squib, but I barely have room for a sofa and the computer table  :D
Test Valley Models

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.com
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 11:52:08 pm »
After looking around I quite like this set up
Test Valley Models

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 08:35:27 pm »
And chuck the sofa. You'll only fall asleep watching telly! :sleep:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here