!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Alisgate  (Read 345 times)

Offline MARK1985

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26304
  • Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Alisgate
« on: November 08, 2017, 05:03:22 pm »
 :hellosign:

Been little quiet , lots of life changes and lots of modelling going on but mostly with our club layouts or another members layout  , took step back from my main layout to try and finish off the boxfile I had tried a while back , going to be bit of an update as been making steady progress last couple of weeks. I've used compact kato track in this boxfile

Here is rough idea I drew up getting some inspiration from few boxfiles on here

I wasn't overly confident as some in cutting down the compact track points so instead I went the long way round and extended the boxfile by about an inch in both directions by butchering a second boxfile , then glued and ductaped it all together

I then levelled the surrounding area of the track with cardboard so to hide the kato track and also the wiring for the point

I then started building up the tunnel/hill area

I then found the hill for the road leading to the station would be too sharp so abandoned that and decided to run the road so it was coming from a crossing infront of the point

I then filled in the gaps between the kato track and the cardboard with some filler and alos started to finish off the tunnel area with a coat of black paint

few more pictures , update to come
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:06:12 pm by MARK1985 »

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Alisgate
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 10:07:43 am »
Heres a bit more so can catch up to where im currently at

I used foam and filler to shape the tunnel area with a a bit of a slope

I also have put a flap wihich I hope to hide with scenery so that I can access the tunnel if any of the locos or stock get stuck or derail

the box itself got a coat of paint , but I think will need a second coat , I also started to put an undercoat on the scenery of the box

then came a bit more touching up on the undercoat

I then have started to add some basic scatter to the scenery

and that's where I am at the moment, i'm hoping to give the sky of the backscene a coat of paint so I can then start putting on the backscene that I've started to cut out , I've got some ballast on order to tidy up around the track and to weather so we are slowly getting there

Mark

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:52:13 pm »
Bit more progress yesterday after the ballast arrived and managed to get some blue paint to use for backscene

here is backscene ive used which was free online after I had given the sky a paint , got to touch up where the duct tape is still

I then started to put ballast around the track to blend it in , this ahs to be tidied up when it hopefully should have dried when I get home

so we are slowly starting to get there , still lots to do of course , but im happy where its going

Any questions and thoughts welcome  :thankyousign:

Mark

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 01:33:17 pm »
Good to see the 'terraforming' coming along.
Your 'greenery' looks a bit too uniform to my eyes and could do with some variation (easily done with a lighter shade of scatter) and some bushes/hedges/trees.

I've generally found lighter shades suit N gauge better than darker ones

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 01:41:05 pm »
I agree with NN. Even a bit of good old fashioned mud or soil -just use brown scatter.
And two tones of green provides variation (try the burnt grass version which is a much duller olivey green).
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 02:02:02 pm »
Agree with both comments ,  am going to look at using different scatter or grass so mixes it up a bit

also yes trees and bushes will be added , all my favourite bits adding all the detailed stuff that really makes it come alive  :D

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 03:44:50 pm »
well made a little start at adding some different greenery to the layout last night at the club , including trying out to see how I could hide the access flap for the tunnel , still lots to do including mixing up the scatter and static grass . think I want to start making up the station and pens next aswell as the road

heres a couple pictures anyway

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 10:39:21 am »
Hi All

Some more progress made over last few days , really happy how its taken shape , my first attempt at scratch building something , with the halt station made from plasticard and bits of dow  . the buffer stop and coal merchants were from wordsworth and just scaled down to n scale with some extra details added

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 10:54:48 am »
started then to put few things in place and to see how it looked , really happy how the hill has turned out after adding the greenery

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 11:02:00 am »
went about adding some more little details like coal to the merchants , flower pots and fencing on the halt , given the tunnel mouths a coat of paint aswell

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:03:49 am »
Smashing work, Mark :thumbsup:

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:06:52 am »
here are last couple photos of where im at , few more details added , here is layout with J94 and couple of wagons to test the gaps and a  view from different angle . still lots of touching up ,weathering to be done .

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 11:18:07 am »
Looking great. Nice work. I have a large desk drawer that Iím thinking if adding a layout to in the future. This little layout is a great motivation.

Online Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 03:11:17 pm »
Hi Mark,

I have only just found this thread. I did not know you were modelling a little layout in a box. It looks fab  :thumbsup:

I'm so glad I found this, as at the moment I am just onto the scenic stage, and today I got my backscene bits, so thank you for showing how you blended yours in. This will be a great help to me in what I am doing now.

:beers:

With all best wishes,
Kevin

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 03:41:22 pm »
 :thankyousign: for all for your comments

Hi Kevin , I too have taken inspiration from certain layouts on here and tried a few things myself aswell . one of the joys of being on here is getting ideas and help to put into our own layouts  :NGF:

watching yous last few weeks has certainly got me into gear with cracking on with this as can show what can be done in short space of time

all the best with the backscene and look forward to seeing it  :)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything