Where to start with building kits?

Started by ohlavache, November 08, 2017, 07:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohlavache

Hello.
My daughter told me she wanted to build with me a house kit. She's almost 10.
What kind of model is the best way to start with?
I'm hesitating between Faller, Metcalfe and Sankei.
What do you think?
Thanks.

RailGooner

Maybe start with Metcalfe? You could use safety scissors rather than a (sharp) craft knife, and the adhesives are safer than poly-cements.

koyli55002

For a beginner, perhaps a plastic kit (Kestrel or Ratio) and then progress to card ?

zwilnik

I'd probably go with the plastic kits too. That way the initial focus is on the construction rather than any cutting.

The simpler plastic kits are are lot easier to build than most of the card kits (not having to build up thickness and wrap stuff) so she's more likely to get a good result. They're also easier to reconstruct if anything goes horribly wrong.

Bealman

Definitely one of the Continental pre-coloured plastic kits.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

trkilliman

Like many in my age group I served a model railway "apprenticeship" with Airfix kits during the 60s. Two Shiilings each (10p) lol

I know this is an N gauge forum, but I would suggest an Airfix/Dapol 00 gauge building as a starting point...maybe the Thatched cottage would appeal to a young girl?

I say this as being twice the size of N it would be a bit more forgiving of errors, and perhaps easier to familiarise with the stages of construction?

joe cassidy

I agree with Trkillianman.

When I was 10 I used to spend my pocket money (10p per week) on Airfix kits (or stamps from Woolworths).

Best regards,

Joe

NeMo

The Kestrel kits are cheap and very easy to do. They're a bit crude* -- but they're plastic, so you can do some really fun paint techniques on them without any bother. For example, for the brickwork, paint brick red, allow to dry, then smear on mortar-coloured paint, and rub that off with paper towel at once. The paint left behind in the crevices is the mortar, and the resulting finish is really effective. A bit of dry-brushing, and bang, a beautifully unique bit of modelling. Likewise do the roof with mid grey for slates, dry brush with lighter grey, and again, used a crucial technique in a simple way to produce something all your own.

I also think the Peco 'diesel depot' kit is wonderful. Goes together beautifully, and if you have a couple of spray cans or an airbrush, you can have some fun with the walls before you fit the (pre-coloured) doors, install the clear plastic windows, and hand-paint any little bits and bobs like the air vents.

While the card kits are nice, they don't really give you much scope for painting, so once you're done, they all look very same-ish. Nothing I've described here is hard, and the Kestrel kits especially really can't be beat on price!

Cheers, NeMo

*Compared with, say, the Peco or Ratio kits.
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

port perran

My grandson (aged 9.5) managed ths Metcalfe kit with my supervision and thoroughly enjoyed making it

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

dannyboy

I am a great fan of Metcalfe kits and they can be 'customised' by a bit of dry brushing/substituting some pieces with different card, ie roofs etc. The window frames can be painted a different colour to the white by using masking tape and paint pens. However, as a first attempt, I have to agree that one of the 'cheaper' plastic kits might be better to start with. If it all goes wrong, it is not a lot of money lost and, as we all come to appreciate, mistakes can be learnt from. The second attempt always looks better than the first I have found. Good luck to you both.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

ohlavache

Thanks a lot for all your comments !
I will give her the choice between a Kestrel and a Metcalfe kit, or both...
:thankyousign: :NGaugersRule:

guest6107

Sankei kits are beautiful but can be fiddly. Before sticking things together like two wall skins try the fit first - they will fit but positioning needs to be checked. Also some of the smaller parts can be tricky.

Be aware the instructions are in Japanese but come with detailed drawings. I have yet to find one that I couldn't assemble from the drawings.

I love those kits but they're expensive so for a newcomer or younger person choose a simple one first!

I've been asked to assemble a Fujimi plastic kit. One of the temples. Intricate and rather nice. Everything fits perfectly. (Instructions in Japanese and English).

Wish her well, please, and hope it becomes a hobby!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations