!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: N scale kits  (Read 439 times)

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
N scale kits
« on: November 05, 2017, 04:43:49 pm »
I was finally convinced enough to take the plunge and go buy an n scale kits 53' all purpose spine car kit -mainly because I wanted something different on the layout- and because I've not seen one in rtr form ( I'm sure somebody will either put me right or agree ???. Anyhow it arrived day after I ordered it ( posted same day 1st class no extra charge-its in the kit price ( suspect it's UK only folks? )

It comes with a colour assembly sheet ( it's not that complicated an assembly in my eyes )

Being an ex 1/35th military modeller -i've come up against white metal, etched metal and resin parts before - so no shocks here. The kit is cast in pewter ( no lead involved) which is fairly easy to work with basic tools - my toolkit for this one -

The spine parts are identified on the bottom with letters which is important (a) for the formation of the 5 car set and (b) not all of the spines have the same equipment fitted to the sides !

The main spine parts are one piece castings to which you super glue the wheel troughs and brake cylinder details. The troughs are in two types -two sets for the end cars and 3 sets for the others. Easy to identify by a support arm missing ( it's cast on the spine)  I will say out of the whole kit only one spine had the holes drilled out ready -the others are marked ready for drilling ( don't know if the supplier does it and forgot or what ?) But I need either a 1mm or 1.5mm drill bit and sort it .

So I've set about cleaning up the bits and bobs with my tools -knife to scratch (cut the flash / runners- file to smooth and grit stick to polish ready for paint !

The kit requires you to supply bogies/ paint / decals ( transfers) . Micro trains are recommended and the two types required are on the bottom of the assembly sheet ( one for each end with couplings and 4 without coupling for the connection points. The standard microtrains mounting pin hole is cast into the pine units as are the articulation pins and sockets .

The smaller parts -air tanks / trailer mounting ( fifth wheel to us ) walkways -etched stainless ) are mostly clean -the etched walkways  need bending up - But I'll get to that.

My only other problem is suitable paint - the two recommended paints- badger or polyscale are either not stocked in this country (badger ) or no longer produced due to lead in the make up ( testors/ polyscale ) any way after a bit of viewing the net -vallejo acrylic ( Spain) do a suitable colour -in going to the ipms next week at Telford so I'll shop there ! I have a walthers single twin stack and a microtrains centerbeam car both in TTX yellow for comparison ! 
The bogies are on order as are some trailers to make a loads !

I'll post more as we go !
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
Re: N scale kits
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:22:45 pm »
Had a bit of time today -with the weather being so cold -i couldn't play outside for long -so I went to the cave and had a play ! Managed to clean and fit the the end unit  'A' together with all its bits ! Bit of fettling and all went together really well . Superglue and a bit of patience and Presto one spine done -i'll leave it for 24hrs then treat it to a cleaning job and a nice coat of white Halfords acrylic paint . Managed to get two more done before a bit of cramp set in and finished that for today . But up to now I'm impressed both with the quality and the fit of the kit - decals arrived from Osbourne's this week -still waiting for the trucks and couplings -but no panic yet ! Anyway a few pics of  spine 'A' for those interested .....

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
Re: N scale kits
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 12:59:45 pm »
Good news construction is complete ! :claphappy: Had a bit of time last night so I finished the last bits .

Two are going to have containers on board -(1)45' and (2) 20' and then (3) 45' trailers to complete the setup. A trip thro the degreasing stage -no fairy liquid here ( why would you want to leave a film of goo that paint doesnt like ?? Might make your plates shine !!) It will be a toothbrush -cif cleaner- dry-spray wash with isoprop -dry -Halfords white primer . Many thanks has to go to Rich S of n gauge forum claim who helped me with the paint conversion . Due to the unavailability of polyscale paints these days and a lack of UK stockists of model master paints -i've ended up at Vallejo acrylics 72-705 moon yellow in their game air range ( no thinning req for air series -straight in airbrush ) 😄. Bit of gloss varnish- decals- which have arrived -matt varnish and were done -IF the trucks arrive !!
Will update as we go !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100%