!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coldhill - with much hindsight!!  (Read 1282 times)

12345kevin, paulk and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Masher69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26763
    • Awards
Re: Coldhill - with much hindsight!!
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2017, 06:21:50 pm »
Got round to making a start on finalising plans etc for the station buildings. Couldn't work out how to build up the bay window as it was so have compromised a bit along with some compromising with the windows. Some tweaking of the plans required before building. Also some changes to be made to the platforms. If I decide to take the surfaces off I may take some of the advice re having some foundations so it sits in rather than on the platform. Here is the mock up sat alongside the station masters house:

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 01:17:49 pm »
I have eventually finalised the plans for the station and building should start shortly. In a previous post I indicated that I had built some Metcalfe kits but to me personally they seemed to be a bit overscale compared with other kits but I would use the goods shed as it was similar to the one at Coldstream at least until I had got round to scratch building one. However on my visit to the Newcastle exhibition I saw a shed on the n gauge Newlingham layout by Neil Walker which looked more in scale to the other buildings to go on my layout. I initially thought that it was scratch built but he informed me that it was from the old Hornby Lyddle End.

I managed to track one down on eBay and it arrived in the post today and I feel that it does fit in better. Some photos including one showing the two sheds side by side.

Not trying to denigrate the Metcalfe kits as I think the detailing is quite good and many use them but this is just how I have found them.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 02:54:50 pm »
I believe Metcalfe buildings are claimed to technically to 1:150 so slightly undersize for UK N at 1:148 although I have often wondered this myself.

I know Hornby Scaledale and Farish Scenecraft are slightly more under scale, speculation being that as you can fit more on the layout, you'll buy more!

either way, looks good.

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 07:23:55 pm »
Thank you Black Sheep. When trying to get a gauge of scale i got the GF Oakworth station. After that started to build some Metcalfe kits and they seemed to dwarf the GF. It is probably this that has stuck in the mind.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 07:29:42 pm »
Hmmm....I think the Metcalfe kits vary a bit and certainly the goods shed seems a bit big (although I have one myself and it looks fine to me).
That Lyddle End one looks good though.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 05:14:11 pm »
A bit of progress with the station this week. Slowly getting the hang of fixing the slate strips but a couple of hiccups with glue! One bit to add on and then will try the final detailing, chimneys etc. I can't work out how the station had eight pots unless some were ornamental. Apologies for the quality of the photos taken with phone and the ones on the layout are under halogen lights which must have made them look pink! PS just trying out possibilities for station approach - not the final thing!

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 08:13:48 pm »
can be a bit surprising how many chimneys buildings had when we look around today, but it's very common for chimneys to be removed, either just to get rid of it, during re-roofing or if the chimney is unstable (my house is missing one for this reason, top 3 layers of bricks simply lifted off!)

Each room would have had a fire place and that would have needed a chimney, I believe double sided fire places between adjoining rooms were rare hence how frequent they are along the single story part of the building.

Looks good

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: Today at 10:34:29 am »
After the last few days with the design and construction of the station building will rest the eyes and have a change and have a go at some scenery work i.e. static grass and see how it goes!!

Looking for a bit of help/ideas on the following:
1) What do you scratch builders use for guttering and drain pipes?
2) As I mentioned above I am looking for a solution for the approach up to the station. What I have tried so far are layers of staggered cork covered with filler but not too happy with it as struggling to get a smoother surface. Whilst not trying to achieve an exact model of the station I do need to bring the road gently up to the entrance. This is the only photo I have of the rear (R.M.Casserley):

3) Re the statice grass I have put down some base colour. Is it still worth laying down some scatter materials before the grass?

Thanks for any help  :helpneededsign:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: Today at 11:26:26 am »
I have a pack of these ready for when I put together some Metcalfe buildings.
http://www.petersspares.com/ratio-300-gutters-drainpipes-plastic-kit-n-gauge.ir

Sorry, but I can't help with static grass.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here