!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coldhill - with much hindsight!!  (Read 1332 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Coldhill - with much hindsight!!
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 12:45:13 pm »
Cracking job on the buildings, especially the piggery and the barn :thumbsup:

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 09:57:15 pm »
you mention relief on printed card / paper models being an issue for you, I would argue that the relief on the plastic kits is actually too great, remember, the foot on the end of your leg would be 2mm on your model, so the 5mm deep mortar courses on your house would be 0.0005mm on the model.

took me a while to get used to the idea, I built a scalescenes kit and left it on my desk at work for a couple of months until I got used to it :D

Offline Masher69

• N Gauge Society Number: 26763
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 08:27:09 am »
Black Sheep. More or less agreed. The only plastic kits I have made up are the Peco  signal box and Ratio coal merchants hut which I don't think will be used. I have used the Peco tunnel and bridge mouths. These were used ahead of the Metcalfe kits which had clearance issues.
I have seen photos of the Kestrel kits but have not physically seen one. However from the photos I would agree with you that the brick/stone work does seem a bit over scale.
I have down loaded a couple of scalescenes kits but have not yet got round to building them but will have a go in due course. I have made a start on the station buildings based on Coldstream station using the downloadable sheets as it needs to be scratch built. Also Smart Models seem to have reasonable kits and sheets and I did see some of their kits made up at an exhibition and they looked pretty good. The printing out on the embossed watercolour paper gives a little bit of relief so might try it with the kits.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 09:14:25 am »
I have seen photos of the Kestrel kits but have not physically seen one. However from the photos I would agree with you that the brick/stone work does seem a bit over scale.

The first building shown in my Milliedale on Sea topic: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35646.0 is the Kestrel station, they're old kits that take a bit of fettling to go together, with a plastic kit the relief is useful for being able to actually paint the thing without it looking like a piece of painted plastic!

I've got a couple of the SmartModels kits to build but not done so yet, currently getting through my backlog of metcalfe kits that have been bought for me as gifts :D
Although I can't stand their print for stone and slate, both have so much shading they look like cobbles - having said that it only bugs me on my own models, doesn't bother me on someone elses layout!

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 09:35:15 am »
When we got back to the UK in May we were only back for a few weeks until the end of June so there was not much progress with the layout.
I had not finalised the positioning of the track in the goods yard so worked on that and as it had not been pinned or wired ordered up some flexi track (along with track cutters!) to have a go with it and replace a bit of the setrack. OK it was just a small section but I got the hang of cutting the track, the rail joiners and dealing with a small curve.
I also did some more work on the tunnel hill and got the bridge and road down to the station with some base colouring:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:56:38 am by Masher69 »

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 10:24:10 am »
After a hot summer in Greece we got back to the UK early October. As the weather was quite good got caught up with the garden before returning to the layout.
I was struggling with where to go next as there were quite a lot of chicken and eggs! I eventually settled on finalising the layout of the station platforms and ballasting the rest of the main lines. I did apply some rail spray before ballasting but wished I had put down some black paint before laying the track.
I was not also sure how to progress the scenery lacking inspiration. This was not being helped by the dirty grey of the sundeala. I thought that if I got some base paint down it would help with ideas. This was done and although it will be changed before any scatters, static grass etc it has helped a bit. This is basically the current state of affairs although holes have been drilled for a couple of Dapol signals (ok they are GWR but so what) that I had bought:

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 10:44:21 am »
A start has now been made with constructing the station buildings but alongside this a few decisions need to be made.

As was the case with many rural stations there was an livestock mart situated next to the station at Cornhill. I don't have the space for this behind the goods yard where it was but a small mart could be situated next to the long siding that heads off to the right hand side. I had earmarked this, using modellers licence, for either a sawmill/timber yard or dairy but we will see.

I also need to decide how far to ballast into the goods yard and coal depot and what materials to use for the ground in and around the goods shed etc as this could be part cobbled and part hardened "mud". Any suggestions for this would be gratefully received.

Whilst I have read many articles on ground cover etc I am not sure if I should use scatters to give a basic cover and then apply the static grass.

Coldstream station was sited quite a bit away from the village of Cornhill itself so there are not a a lot of residential properties to be included on the layout. I am thinking of using a bare area next to the goods yard for a small hotel or pub using modellers licence.
The layout is not supposed to be an exact reproduction of the station so I can get away with that.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:14:34 pm by Masher69 »

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 11:20:22 am »
The title for the topic is "with much hindsight"
I think that a lot of the issues That I have met will also have been met by others building their first ever layouts.

Would I use Sundeala again - possibly. I will have to see if my baseboard construction holds. With the amount of wiring underneath it is now quite heavy to say the least.

Oval layout v end to end? A thing to be considered on any future layout.

I would definitely say that I would use flexi track in the future instead of setrack. Code 80 or code 55 we will see.

I have issues with longer locos on the setrack points with derailing. On this layout the longer locos will just be used on the main lines as diversions from the ECML "because of landslips"!! I would use the longer electrofrog turnouts in the future hoping I can get my head round wiring and polarity.

With having no idea about the type and quality of the various materials, kits etc available I have wasted a bit of money on items which have landed up in the "unused" box but I suppose that is part of the learning curve.

Having said all of this I am enjoying the experience of the skills required which I had not encountered before. Because of all of this I am part treating this layout as very much a learning exercise. Unfortunately I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist and if something is not spot on, whilst it might not be noticeable to someone else, to me it sticks out like a sore thumb. I think this is from learning DIY from my father whose motto was "if it's worth doing it's worth doing well". However for this layout if I make mistakes they will be accepted.

As I have said before any comments and suggestions will be gratefully received.

So now to chase up the roofing contractors who are slating the station masters house!!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:13:20 pm by Masher69 »

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 02:05:14 pm »
With having no idea about the type and quality of the various materials, kits etc available I have wasted a bit of money on items which have landed up in the "unused" box but I suppose that is part of the learning curve.
None of it will be wasted, I assure you.  Keep all the bits and use things as the need arises.  You'd be surprised how much will come in handy.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 02:40:15 pm »
Because of all of this I am part treating this layout as very much a learning exercise.

We all started off as inexperienced and, sadly, when I first got into N gauge such wonderful sources of information like this forum didn't exist and I made some pretty horrendous gaffes (sometimes I still do :-[) I would put my trust in the likes of Cyril J. Freezer and then curse him to the bottom most pits when the layout he said would fit a certain size baseboard just didn't. He taught me what I know about electrickery so you know who to blame for all my silly questions :)
Never be afraid to ask what you might think to be a daft question and digest all the answers before taking action.
I wish we could reach everyone who is just starting out.

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2017, 09:42:55 pm »
Progress made with the station masters house. Chimney tops and pots, flashing and guttering still to do followed by some weathering. Not entirely happy with the slates. Altered method as I moved up the roof which can be seen. The tricky station building which adjoins the house next on the agenda!

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2017, 06:26:02 am »
That's a really nice house.  Is it all scratch built?
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2017, 08:51:01 am »
Hi Laurence. Yes, scratch built using scalescene sheets downloaded onto various weights of watercolour paper. Not an exact model of the station masters house at Coldstream Station as I could not find the exact windows so used the nearest and didn't try to do the scrolling on the end of the barge boards. The next bit will be a little trickier with the bay window! A photo of the station and by the look of it after the station closed in 1965.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:40:04 am by Masher69 »

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2017, 10:55:42 am »
Thanks for the tip about Scalescene sheets.  I hadn't come across them before, but I have downloaded the dressed stone sheets and they look really great.  I have built the Metcalfe buildings as a quick and dirty way of getting the layout up and running.  Eventually, I will replace a lot of the Metcalfe buildings with scratch-built ones (when I get to the point of nearly completing the layout) and the Scalescenes sheets look like just the job.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline mitch99

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2017, 09:56:24 am »
That scratch-built station masters house looks fantastic, looking forward to seeing the station buildings and the layout develop

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything