!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coldhill - with much hindsight!!  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Masher69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26763
    • Awards
Re: Coldhill - with much hindsight!!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 05:21:42 pm »
The next attempt with some adjustments to move away from the edges but still with straights in the bend. At this stage I had started to pin the track and start on the back scene boards.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 07:41:35 pm »
This is coming on very well.  I note that you are using No. 1 radius curves.  If you did away with the straight sections in the middle of the curves you could have a wider minimum radius and the trains would probably look better as they negotiated the smooth curves.

The price for this is shorter straight sections and shorter loops and sidings.  My layout is almost 2m long but I am restricted to four-coach trains for this reason.  315mm minimum radius, though.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 08:29:57 pm »
This actually happened with a third attempt. After pinning the track, the straights in the bends just looked wrong. I had by now read about the problems with first radius curves and decided to get rid of the straights and use second and third radius so up came the track again and the first radius curves added to the unused item box!! Also at the same time I found that the Bachmann E-Z command control which came with the "train set" was struggling to power the Dapol Britannia which I had bought for the proposed ECML layout so this made it back into the "train set" box and I replaced this with the Gaugemaster Prodigy 2. After these changes I started to wire up the track and had my first experience of a soldering iron!!

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 09:21:34 pm »
Looks like a fun and promising layout. And thank you for including the details of your mistakes and thought processes - we often neglect to mention where we have had to learn and change things as we go, especially when describing the build in hindsight.

I look forward to reading about further developments.

- Andy

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 09:25:46 pm »
If it's not too late, have a think about this for the top left of the pic and the far right of the pic.........

Your stock will prefer not negotiating reverse 'S' curves and you'll get longer sidings/loops.

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 09:51:26 pm »
NPN. I was subsequently reading about turn outs and potential problems with s curves. I might be able to do something with the fiddle yard on the left as the points are still manual. Not so sure about right hand side but will have a look at it.

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 10:16:58 pm »
The wiring progressed. The droppers were duly soldered to the tracks but under the board having read about snap locks I decided to use these to connect to the bus wires. I was aware that it was recommended that each section of track be wired. At first I tried to cut back on this but after one or two problems in running trains have wired up most of the track. Being setrack there is now a hell of a lot of wiring under the board. At this stage I wish that I had looked at flexi track - again hindsight! At that time I had not thought at this time to install point motors but then decided to do this for the points on the scenic side. On looking under the board I found that two of the points needed to be moved to allow the motors to be installed. So up came track again to deal with this and also to drill for the point rods!!!

Again with no knowledge of point motors I ordered the Gaugemaster point control starter kit which comes with a transformer and cdu and subsequently further motors and switches. and managed to get the points working with only a couple of hitches. There are two sets of opposite points operated by the same switch!! So now a second bus wire system under the board.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 07:55:40 am »

Again with no knowledge of point motors I ordered the Gaugemaster point control starter kit which comes with a transformer and cdu and subsequently further motors and switches. and managed to get the points working with only a couple of hitches. There are two sets of opposite points operated by the same switch!!

It's looking good.  I agree that crossovers are best operated by one switch (and that's how the 'big railways' do it, which is encouraging.)  From your photograph there are four crossovers which would lend themselves to this.  Where practicable, I like to cheat and control the points at each end of a loop from the same switch as well - a (very!) primitive form of route setting.

Incidentally, I second NPN's helpful point about reverse curves through pointwork.

All the best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 08:47:18 am »
It is just the points on the scenic side that have points. The fiddle yard is still manual.

Re the curves I will see what is possible as things have moved on a little since this photo.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:49:00 am by Masher69 »

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 09:37:51 am »
As the baseboard and track laying etc were progressing I had started to acquire locos, rolling stock etc. As regards buildings etc the only n gauge buildings I had seen were at the exhibition in Newcastle - the nearest model railway shop is at least 50 miles away! I therefore ordered a range of Peco/Ratio and Metcalfe buildings, platforms etc.

Having built the Metcalfe tunnel portals and bridge I found that they were too tight for positioning on curves which is where they would go. This maybe because I am using setrack and and wider tunnel and bridge mouths are needed to cope with the double track. Whilst the detailing on the Metcalfe products I thought the lack of relief left them flat and a bit characterless although the latter could well be improved with weathering. I therefore decided to go with the Peco.

I was not too impressed with the Peco platforms decided that I would need to make these myself or kit bash the Metcalfe card kit.

I did build the Peco signal box which is not too bad but will probably not use it. The only product I could find that part resembled the Coldstream station building was the Graham Farish Oakworth station but this would not sit alongside the station masters house.

For the station itself it would have to be scratch built.

I did build up some other Metcalfe kits including Manor Farm and whilst the detailing is ok, as with the tunnels etc, the lack of relief leaves them flat and I also thought they were a little over-scale especially the tractor shed so these have duly made their way into the unused box although I may use the cottage.

The one building I will probably use, at least for the meantime is the goods shed which is similar to the one at Coldstream.

So a few more items headed for the unused box.

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 10:53:04 am »
We were due to head out to Greece early March for a couple of months but I had a little time to make a start on the scenic side. Whilst I know that is aesthetically preferable to have rounded corners on the back scene, in view of the way the track had been laid etc it was left with 90deg corners. I had planned for a hill and tunnel to hide the entrance into the fiddle yard on the left so made a start on that with my first attempt at ballasting - not the easiest thing in the world as I found.

When first built the line from Berwick (Tweedmouth) only ran as far as the small village of Sprouston. Initially built by the Newcastle & Berwick Railway it duly became part of the North Eastern Railway in 1854. The type of ballast used by the NER was a dark ash/cinder:

As can been seen the ballast did not have a uniform shoulder but ran off into the undergrowth and I will try to achieve this. At first I was only doing the ballasting to come out of the tunnel in order to build the tunnel and make a start on the hillside. As the ballast is very dark it is difficult to make out the sleepers so It looks as if a bit pf painting will be needed. I also think I have used a bit too much ballast:

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 10:54:57 am »
I think that ballast looks perfectly acceptable.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 10:56:03 am »
I meant to mention that the tunnel was formed with heavy corrugated cardboard topped with scrunched up newspaper and plaster cloth. It did duly require some further work. It was then off to, but unfortunately not, warmer climes!

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2017, 11:18:16 am »
We arrived in Greece to four days of continual rain followed by five days bitterly cold northerly winds straight down from Russia. The low temperatures continued and we were being confined indoors. I needed something constructive to do and decided to have a go at some scratch building form whatever materials etc I could pick up on the island. With the layout being in a rural setting there were always going to be some farm buildings so I would have a go at these. I didn't have a lot of different thicknesses of card but I did have some watercolour paper of various weights so I had an initial go with these. I built a pig sty coloured with pastels, although this still needs a little further work, and a mock up of a tractor shed which is still presently awaiting to be modelled:

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2017, 11:33:27 am »
I was quite pleased with the way these first attempts had gone. I have already posted my thoughts about the Metcalfe farm buildings. I was aware of the Scalescenes downloadable kits and building sheets etc. From watching videos these were being printed off on paper and then glued to various thicknesses of card. This would mean that buildings would still be quite flat lacking relief. I decided to download some of the building sheets but would print them out on watercolour paper with the stone sheet being printed on Daler-Rowney 'The Langton' 300 g/m2 paper and have an attempt at a barn. I had an idea of how I wanted the barn to look. After a few days or so this is the final product subject to maybe a bit of weathering etc:

So these are the first attempts at scratch building. Thankfully the weather began to improve and turn a bit warmer so we had a week or so of warmth before returning to the UK at the beginning of May.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:36:02 am by Masher69 »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here