!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coldhill - with much hindsight!!  (Read 1283 times)

12345kevin, paulk and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Masher69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26763
    • Awards
Coldhill - with much hindsight!!
« on: November 05, 2017, 04:37:30 pm »
Not particularly wanting to bore I thought to share my initial introduction into railway modelling. Over many years I had considered building a model railway basically inspired by my younger brother who had been into railways and model railways since a young age. I had always imagined a model based on the Tweed Dock branch line but never managed to do anything about it. Having retired in 2012 and living half the year in Greece and spending the winters in the UK this time last year I eventually decided I needed an indoor interest for the winter months and thought again about a model railway.

The Tweed Dock branch seemed a bit ambitious as a first attempt at modelling so started to look at other options and also the practicalities of modelling. I was aware that there were 00 and n gauges available and with not having too much room to spare thought that if I was to go ahead it would be with n gauge and in the late steam era. Knowing virtually nothing about the subject I did some research and thought that DCC was the way to go. To test the waters I ordered a Graham Farish “train set” pack and the Peco setrack pack thinking that if I got cold feet I could take the cost.

A trip to the Newcastle & District Society exhibition encouraged me to go for it. Having done a bit of joinery work over the years I was not too worried about building a baseboard but I had no knowledge whatsoever about the other skills which would be involved i.e. electrics, soldering, scenic work etc etc so (wrongly) decided to go with setrack and insulfrogs as I thought that streamline and electrofrogs would possibly be a step too far. I needed to have something to base my layout on. Having looked at Eyemouth station, whilst it would be good modelling there would limited train movements. Berwick station would probably be too complicated and so initially settled on the ECML running through Burnmouth and started to buy track, locomotives and rolling stock on this basis. And the work commenced. I have some photographs showing the (slow) progress which will be posted and highlight the mistakes and hindsights.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
Re: Coldhill - with much hindsight!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 05:06:11 pm »
Burnmouth is a lovely location.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline G_N_E_R

• Just another N Gauge modeler, focusing on GNER!
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 05:18:11 pm »
Sounds delightful!
I look forward to reading more :)
All the Best,
Philip
If it ain't Blue and Red, something must be wrong!!

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:39:07 pm »
Go for it,  looking forward to your progress.
Wish DCC had been around when I started but being married to the 3rd Mrs "H" I can't afford another divorce  to upgrade now from good old DC.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 06:38:58 pm »
Moving on I chose to go for an oval track on a 6’ x 3’ baseboard. After a bit of research plumped for sundeala on a frame and ordered the appropriate materials. Here the completed frame:

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 06:40:03 pm »
Apologies but not sure how to attach photos. Can someone help. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:41:20 pm by Masher69 »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 07:25:42 pm »
Hi Masher,
On the main toolbar you'll see 'Help and FAQ' and if you click on that the bottom item is 'Uploading pictures to the forum'
If you have trouble still, let us know please.

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:55:39 am »
A second attempt at uploading the baseboard frame photo

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 10:08:41 am »
Having got this far, I read a lot of conflicting views on the use of sundeala. The positives included the ease of using track pins and on the downside its propensity to sag. To get round this I decided to fix an initial plywood top on the frame and then lay the sundeala on top of this. Frame with plywood top:

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 10:13:54 am »
As instructed the sundeala was conditioned, cut and glued and screwed onto the plywood:

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 10:36:48 am »
I think you made a good decision.  Sundeala on top of ply or MDF works for me, unless weight is an issue.

That looks a very nice one-piece baseboard (I'm no fan of baseboard joins!) with neat holes in the cross members to thread wiring through.

A fine foundation for your layout.

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 10:54:02 am »

A fine foundation for your layout.

Wot John said :thumbsup:

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 02:14:01 pm »
Two wooden rails run lengthways under the frame which enable it to sit securely on the two heavy duty saw horses which act as the legs. With the board made I started ordering up the peco setrack needed.

I was having second thoughts about Burnmouth Station and started looking at the Berwick to St Boswells line and particularly at Coldstream (Cornhill) Station. The goods yard was more extensive and as well as the regular passenger and goods trains running there was also the branch which went down through North Northumberland to Alnwick. Whilst the line was closed to passenger traffic in 1930 goods trains continued to run down to Wooler until the final closure in 1965. A decision was made to base the station on Coldstream and as there would be quite a bit of fiction involved it would be named Coldhill. Coldstream lies on the Scottish side of the River Tweed but the usual landowner effect resulted in the station being built on the English side at Cornhill. Originally named Cornhill it was changed to Coldstream in 1873.

The naivety of the beginner began to step in and whilst I did use a computer program the layout plan was developed more or less as the track arrived still based on an oval layout and using first and second radius curves. I had also found that the Farish track was not entirely compatible with the peco setrack so that found its way back into the “train set” box and replacement peco was ordered.

The initial ideas with the first and second radius curves with straights in the bends and the track almost off the ends!!

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 04:33:22 pm »
Looks good to me. Might I suggest that some of the track is mighty close to the edge. That’s a fair distance for a loco to fall. It would be prudent to fit some sort of boundary wall . Or - move the track in a tad.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:34:56 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 05:10:11 pm »
The layout does change a bit as I realise my mistakes.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here