Suggestions for Forum for THAT Other Gauge...

Started by jrb, November 05, 2017, 09:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrb

I know it's heresy, but I'm planning to build a shunting puzzle layout in OO gauge (I'm not changing scales, just doing this one small project).

:sorrysign:

Which forum would people recommend for sharing info/getting advice in OO? I've had a look at rmweb, but not been too impressed - is there an equivalent to the N gauge forum in OO?

njee20

What's unimpressed you about RMWeb? It's far and away the biggest forum, and among the elitist morons there are some incredibly talented and helpful people.

jrb

Quote from: njee20 on November 05, 2017, 09:14:15 AM
What's unimpressed you about RMWeb? It's far and away the biggest forum, and among the elitist morons there are some incredibly talented and helpful people.

I think it's those elitist morons that left me unimpressed. I'm interested in using the new Peco bullhead points, and both threads on them descended into moronic and irrelevant arguments that ended in the threads getting locked.

Chris Morris

Quote from: jrb on November 05, 2017, 09:08:19 AM
I know it's heresy, but I'm planning to build a shunting puzzle layout in OO gauge (I'm not changing scales, just doing this one small project).

:sorrysign:

Which forum would people recommend for sharing info/getting advice in OO? I've had a look at rmweb, but not been too impressed - is there an equivalent to the N gauge forum in OO?

That could be the thin end of the wedge! Don't tell anyone but I'm doing a small Christmas OO layout.

I think RM web has many contributors who make useful comments as well as a few people who are sometimes somewhat negative. Don't let them put you off. I think this forum is better though; it achieves a family feel which probably can't happen on a bigger forum. I don't think anyone on RM web likes my Christmas layout (still under construction) so far but I have to admit it isn't serious modelling.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Buffin

njee20

Quote from: jrb on November 05, 2017, 09:52:00 AMI think it's those elitist morons that left me unimpressed. I'm interested in using the new Peco bullhead points, and both threads on them descended into moronic and irrelevant arguments that ended in the threads getting locked.

Ooo, I dunno, I was annoyed I couldn't wade in to the second one. Martin Wynne is definitely wrong - it's "fewer sleepers per metre", not "less".

It is a decent forum, I'm not quite sure why those threads have been so decisive, I guess because there's no actual product to discuss yet, so they go totally off topic.

Edit: indeed there's now a thread showing a production point, which does look very good, whilst not being my thing at all. I do like the idea of Unifrog.

Western Exile

Quote from: njee20 on November 05, 2017, 09:14:15 AM

Ain't that the truth....
(not Dr.) Al

silly moo

I'm a member of RMWeb and have learnt a lot from being there, having said that I wouldn't put any pictures of my layout onto RMWeb for fear of negative comments whereas I would happily post pictures on this forum.

There have also been occasions when I've asked questions and had no response at all.

There isn't much N gauge content on RMWeb and I'm often tempted to send people here but I'm not sure whether that is considered good form or not.

texhorse

I was also once a member of RMWeb, but I came off there because of the petty bickering that was going on among some of the members.  I don't even remember what the subject was, it was that petty.  I do remember thinking that if these people have so much time on their hands that they can belittle and destroy other people's confidence, I want no part of them.

That was about three years ago, and I haven't even logged in since.

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

railsquid

I hang out there mainly for the prototype info, some nice historical (and more) photo threads, though there are some modelling threads which are interesting. OTOH it is the only forum where I've seen individual threads being discussed on other forums...

JanW

If you're put off by rmweb you could try the model rail forum.
A lot smaller than rmweb but there seems to be regular activity.
Just read a thread on dc vs dcc and there was some good advice.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showforum=8

Jan

Tank

I'm happy for you to make a thread in the Hobbies section on here, but if you're asking loads of questions then it may be best elsewhere.  I have a thread on here for my 5" gauge garden railway, but I try not to put too many photo's or posts on here in case it upsets the N balance!  :D

BobB

I think Tank has just demonstrated why we like this forum !

njee20

Would be a bit draconian to flat ban discussion about other scales, and whilst allowed there are obviously a minority of people here who have experience in OO Gauge.

I'd say it depends on your questions OP. If they're technical about hand building track and what not then I'd give RMWeb a go. If they're more generic about track layout, or which points to buy etc then here's fine, there vast amounts of transferable skill/knowledge between scales. The fact is though that there's a lot more traffic on RMWeb, so you may get an answer quicker there. It may also be more belittling. 

jrb

Thanks to all. I've registered on rmweb now, and I'll give it another try. I'll have a look at modelrailforum, too.

I think, in all honesty, the problem with all new forums is that they look and operate differently to what I'm used to. I'm active on quite a few, and they all have a completely different feel to each other; I think I resented all of them when I first began using them, as they all seemed slightly strange to me at the time!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations