!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Evercombe Junction - Somewhere on the Somerset and Dorset  (Read 714 times)

Offline mitch99

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Evercombe Junction - Somewhere on the Somerset and Dorset
« on: November 04, 2017, 11:56:21 am »
Hello

I've been a member of the forum for a good few years now admiring the many fine layouts, after a number of false starts I finally have the beginnings of a layout to share. I have been banished to the loft, an area of which has been boarded, carpeted and insulated, to "play trains" by SWMBO.

Evercombe Junction is a fictional location somewhere on the Somerset and Dorset, I am hoping to give a feel of the area through the scenery and scratch building a number of structures from various locations on the S&D, and of course through recreating some of the trains to run over it including 'The Pines Express'

The layout itself is 6ft x 5ft with an operating well in the middle and a 10 road fiddle yard. In addition to the double track mainline there is a 3 platform station, a small goods yard (which doubles as an inglenook shunting puzzle) a branch line and a small shed for servicing the branch line trains and pilot engines. Hopefully if I've got the hang of this there will be a track plan below....

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I look forward to sharing my progress with you. Any comments / suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andy 

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Evercombe Junction - Somewhere on the Somerset and Dorset
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 12:39:45 pm »
 :wave: Good looking plan there Andy. Looking forward to watching the development of what promises to be a great layout.

:thankyousign:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 01:04:47 pm »
Looks a fabulous plan with plenty of space. I like the idea of a proper 'Station Road' leading up to the station itself; such a classic part of many Somerset villages -- Station Road at Bishops Lydeard is a very good example that you can explore on your way to the WSR.

What era do you plan to model? The S&DJR isn't entirely easy to model in N because of one or two crucial gaps, but we do have new 'Jinty' tanks and 4Fs from Farish, the Midland 2P from Union Mills, and the BR 9F from Dapol, so there is potential. It's the absence of the 7F that stands out in my opinion.

Freight rolling stock shouldn't be too hard, but if you were really serious, you'd want some coal wagons appropriate to the Somerset coalfields. Not sure I've seen any Farish ones recently, but did Mathieson Models have some? Peco did a nice premium-priced 1970s HAA and 1930s PO-wagon twin-pack commemorating the closure of the Somerset coalfields in the mid 70s, but you'd need a lot of these to make a full train!

What's the passenger stock situation like? Am I right thinking Stanier and Bulleid stock would be too 'modern' to be used during the 1930s and 40s, the S&D tending to get palmed off with the older Southern or LMS coaches during that time period? Presumably Mk1s get used from the mid 50s, but would these be SR, LMR, or a mixture of sets?

Definitely looking forward to seeing how this develops!

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 01:07:29 pm »
That's a superbly drawn plan, Andy.  I really like the curved platforms in the station.  Two signal boxes as well; excellent! 
What kind of track do you intend to use?

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 01:30:29 pm »
Welcome aboard.
That looks a good plan to me and itís a railway I love.
Looking forward to updates.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 01:56:46 pm »
Love the curved platforms :heart2: What radius curves will they sit on please?
A suggestion for the top line of the 'Mainline Fiddle Yard' - following the curved points at each end add a straight point at each end to create the top loop as (a) you'll have a longer loop and (b) it does away with the reverse 'S' curves of the current pointwork.

Please bear in mind we drive on the left so the outer oval runs clockwise and is usually the 'Up' line.
This means the 'Down' line (inner oval travelling anti clockwise) has no easy entrance to the goods yard.
Run an imaginary train around and you'll see what I mean.

Love the combination of Templecombe and Evercreech Junction too :thumbsup:

Offline fisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 04:11:19 pm »
def  has  an S and  D look !

plenty of   engines.. Union mills  2p..Stannier Black  Five and  Std  Five to add to  the list.

'Country'  scenery  should be an  easy  build too.
<o({{{<<

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 04:24:41 pm »
To add to Nemo's stock list, it should be possible to find a Black 5 and Standard 5 from Farish and an Ivatt 262 Tank from Dapol,  And a Union Mills 3F would be important for the branch as would a Collett Goods from either Peco (second hand) or Union Mills.  A Poole based farish West Country would not go amiss either.  These are good times to model the S&D in N.  Even the Stanier 8F (former Farish but some on FleaBay) was seen on locals in the final days.

I recall seeing at one of our own shows a Dapol M7 being used as a basis for the Johnson Midland  044 Tank used on the Burnham branch at least up to the earlier 50s. And I am sure sometimes on the 6.05pm Bath to Binegar local.

If you are prepared to kit build, you can still find the Langley Standard 4 460, which is an easy one to attempt.  You need a Poole/early Chinese Black 5 chassis underneath it.  I still see those on FleaBay.

Recalling the books I had in the past, in the 50s, the locals and internal semi fasts often seemed to be formed of Southern stock of various types, based on set 3 coach formations but often with additions.  I would suggest scouring second hand stands for Ivo Peters and Robin Atthill's books.  Also Peter Smith, a former footplate man.

Offline mitch99

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 04:29:52 pm »
Looks a fabulous plan with plenty of space. I like the idea of a proper 'Station Road' leading up to the station itself; such a classic part of many Somerset villages -- Station Road at Bishops Lydeard is a very good example that you can explore on your way to the WSR.

What era do you plan to model? The S&DJR isn't entirely easy to model in N because of one or two crucial gaps, but we do have new 'Jinty' tanks and 4Fs from Farish, the Midland 2P from Union Mills, and the BR 9F from Dapol, so there is potential. It's the absence of the 7F that stands out in my opinion.

Freight rolling stock shouldn't be too hard, but if you were really serious, you'd want some coal wagons appropriate to the Somerset coalfields. Not sure I've seen any Farish ones recently, but did Mathieson Models have some? Peco did a nice premium-priced 1970s HAA and 1930s PO-wagon twin-pack commemorating the closure of the Somerset coalfields in the mid 70s, but you'd need a lot of these to make a full train!

What's the passenger stock situation like? Am I right thinking Stanier and Bulleid stock would be too 'modern' to be used during the 1930s and 40s, the S&D tending to get palmed off with the older Southern or LMS coaches during that time period? Presumably Mk1s get used from the mid 50s, but would these be SR, LMR, or a mixture of sets?

Definitely looking forward to seeing how this develops!

Cheers, NeMo

Thank You NeMo, I'm glad the sense of space comes across I do like the idea of modelling some rolling hills and see the trains running through the landscape, I have been to Bishops Lydeard and agree the road is a nice feature and really adds to the setting.

I'm looking to model mid 1950's through to the mid 1960's, which gives me a good excuse to run a variety of stock, I've managed to put together a bit of stock over the past few years including a Union Mills 2P, a Union Mills 3F, the new Farish 4F, a Farish BR Standard 5, a Farish Black Five, a Farish Rebuilt Battle of Britain Class and I've also built this...

My first attempt at building a kit, its a Fleetline S&D 7F kit on a Farish 8F chassis, it still requires some finishing touches but I think it does the job.

I have a number of coal wagons in the form of 16t Steel Mineral Wagons and the Peco Butterley kits, I'm also planning to put together a mixed freight.

From my understanding a wide variety of coaching stock could be found on the S&D, I have Mk1s, Staniers, Bulleids, Gresley Teak Bodied Coaches and a Hawksworth, sets were often mixed designs and liveries.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 04:32:29 pm »
Thats a great job on the 7F. No S&D layout would be complete without one.
Looks smashing.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline mitch99

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 04:37:25 pm »
That's a superbly drawn plan, Andy.  I really like the curved platforms in the station.  Two signal boxes as well; excellent! 
What kind of track do you intend to use?

With best wishes.

John

Thank You John, the plan is AnyRail which I have detailed in AutoCAD to give an idea of the scenery. I do like signal boxes! These will be scratch built with the one near the tunnel portals based on Windsor Hill (where the main S&D line passed either side and each line into a single bore tunnel)

I am using Peco code 80 track, with medium radius points in the main and a few curved points in the station area. I have most of the points i need left over from a previous aborted layout.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 04:44:41 pm »
For the 50s you will need the (hopefully) soon to be released Maunsell 3 coach sets, 39x series; the rebuilt West countries will put the date post 1958, before that you would need the "air smoothed" spam can; You also need a Jinty. You can also use BR 3 & 4 MT tender and tank locos in the later 50's/60's. The Maunsell coaches were replaced by Bullieds towards the end. LMS stock for the through trains from north and midlands, Farish Staniers should suit.

If you were to choose 1930s then obviously the BR stock is out but also the black 5 prior to 1938 when the first arrived at Bath shed, war years more SR stock, T9, S11, M7 etc, but also some LNER stock on ambulance and troop trains .
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:48:33 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline mitch99

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 04:52:47 pm »
Love the curved platforms :heart2: What radius curves will they sit on please?
A suggestion for the top line of the 'Mainline Fiddle Yard' - following the curved points at each end add a straight point at each end to create the top loop as (a) you'll have a longer loop and (b) it does away with the reverse 'S' curves of the current pointwork.

Please bear in mind we drive on the left so the outer oval runs clockwise and is usually the 'Up' line.
This means the 'Down' line (inner oval travelling anti clockwise) has no easy entrance to the goods yard.
Run an imaginary train around and you'll see what I mean.

Love the combination of Templecombe and Evercreech Junction too :thumbsup:

Thank You newportnobby, I believe the platform curves are 74cm / 29 inches at the tightest point, although I may be wrong! I think thats a great suggestion for the fiddle yard and certainly something I'll look to incorporate.

Also a very good point about the goods yard, I'd planned to back trains in from the outer loop but not really given any thought to how it would be accessed from the inner loop.

The name is definitely a nod to Evercreech Junction and Templecombe, I would love to have built Evercreech Junction but I don't have the space to do it justice! 

Offline mitch99

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 05:01:03 pm »
To add to Nemo's stock list, it should be possible to find a Black 5 and Standard 5 from Farish and an Ivatt 262 Tank from Dapol,  And a Union Mills 3F would be important for the branch as would a Collett Goods from either Peco (second hand) or Union Mills.  A Poole based farish West Country would not go amiss either.  These are good times to model the S&D in N.  Even the Stanier 8F (former Farish but some on FleaBay) was seen on locals in the final days.

I recall seeing at one of our own shows a Dapol M7 being used as a basis for the Johnson Midland  044 Tank used on the Burnham branch at least up to the earlier 50s. And I am sure sometimes on the 6.05pm Bath to Binegar local.

If you are prepared to kit build, you can still find the Langley Standard 4 460, which is an easy one to attempt.  You need a Poole/early Chinese Black 5 chassis underneath it.  I still see those on FleaBay.

Recalling the books I had in the past, in the 50s, the locals and internal semi fasts often seemed to be formed of Southern stock of various types, based on set 3 coach formations but often with additions.  I would suggest scouring second hand stands for Ivo Peters and Robin Atthill's books.  Also Peter Smith, a former footplate man.

Thank You Portpatrick, I agree there is a decent selection of ready to run stock out there now in N I wasn't aware that there was a Standard 4 kit available, something I will look into. I recall seeing the Johnson Midland 044 on the Binegar local in one of Ivo Peters books.

I have amassed a decent collection of S&D books over the years, plenty of good reference material and I'm currently reading Peter Smith's Mendips Engineman which is a fascinating read.

Offline mitch99

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 05:06:46 pm »
For the 50s you will need the (hopefully) soon to be released Maunsell 3 coach sets, 39x series; the rebuilt West countries will put the date post 1958, before that you would need the "air smoothed" spam can; You also need a Jinty. You can also use BR 3 & 4 MT tender and tank locos in the later 50's/60's. The Maunsell coaches were replaced by Bullieds towards the end. LMS stock for the through trains from north and midlands, Farish Staniers should suit.

If you were to choose 1930s then obviously the BR stock is out but also the black 5 prior to 1938 when the first arrived at Bath shed, war years more SR stock, T9, S11, M7 etc, but also some LNER stock on ambulance and troop trains .

Thank you Dorestmike, I've been looking for an excuse to get my hands on some of the Maunsell coaches! I've already got my hands on a Rebuilt Bulleid Pacific so just need to add an original air smoothed version, I do have a real soft spot for the West Countries.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here