!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Another Arduino starts up  (Read 890 times)

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Another Arduino starts up
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2017, 06:01:27 pm »
Well, I can't seem to easily put my mits on the box with the parts for my shuttle line so here
I found that it 'sort of' worked. So, I removed the IR led and mounted it remotely on the other side of the track and facing the receiver.
Much like my experience so far :(
I have been playing with the TCRT5000 IRreflect sensor but sadly the reflectance of a Farish black loco at IR is little! even at a close approach of a few mm it only drops (the associated phototransister Vce) signal output by a volt or two from Vcc :(
 An even closer approach of a mm or 2 cuts off the IR from the LED altogether. All compared to a 'finger from out the sky' which takes the o/p down by several volts and a white card just about zeroes it !

When I get to code on the Arduino that small drop may be ok to set a threshold, but there will not be much margin for false/interference.
As is with my discrete bistable I cannot get a loco to generate a sufficiently consistent transition to pulse the state of it :(

The good news is that the housing of the TCRT5000 is only that, a housing, so I can pull the led and pt out and mount them across the track as you are experimenting :( but I had hoped to hide it all in the bufferstop as with my mechanical switches, without having to write a back-story for all the infrastructure either side of the track !!

Drawing boards and back to, are significant words !

Meanwhile, back at the heath-robinson inglenook mit zee mechanical buffer stop switching (bluepeter cardboard and sticky copper foil) I can run 3 locos back and forth by switching just the two points at intervals. great is the simple amusement ;)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:03:32 pm by MalcolmAL »

Online Zogbert Splod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
Re: Another Arduino starts up
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2017, 12:06:28 am »
... but I had hoped to hide it all in the bufferstop as with my mechanical switches, without having to write a back-story for all the infrastructure either side of the track !!!
I don't have the station area built yet, but I intend to place the sensor/sender pair under the opposing platforms, just above track top level.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything