!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: dc layout will this work  (Read 248 times)

Offline broadies

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
dc layout will this work
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:35:13 am »

looking at this track plan on n guage for my grandson he will only be running one loco at a time on dc   will this plan work with the power where positioned all manual points i may add i know other locos will need isolated hence the head shunts to isolate them   thanks for looking

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: dc layout will this work
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 10:54:15 am »
To be sure it will work all of the time it needs a second power feed on the far right hand side (midway on the length by the 2.4m measurement) and all of the loops with an isolation break.  That will provide power feed on all loops and sidings without the risk of any shorts etc.  Assuming you are using 'insulfrog' or dead frog points the sidings will isolate if the points are against them.

Any other views chaps?

Offline broadies

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 11:08:28 am »
so would the second power feed wire into the same controller

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 11:09:43 am »
As drawn you have no head shunts

(Diagram linked from RMweb)

The head shunt is a sort of escape road, to prevent a loco running from a siding to foul a running line when points are not set correctly.

I would agree with Jeremy that a second power feed may be necessary and the suggested position.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:12:43 am by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline broadies

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 11:16:53 am »
As drawn you have no head shunts

(Diagram linked from RMweb)

The head shunt is a sort of escape road, to prevent a loco running from a siding to foul a running line when points are not set correctly.

I would agree with Jeremy that a second power feed may be necessary and the suggested position.
  sorry was meaning siding of a siding to isolate the loco if you get what im meaning

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 11:36:13 am »
@broadies :  one of the basic rules for power feeds is to position the feed at the toe of a formation of points that are all leading off from a single place (like branches on a tree).  Avoid trying to feed power into the frog end of points.

The feed you've drawn fulfills this rule in part, for the group of sidings next to your power feed, and it can also power the left hand end of the top loops.   

As @Jeremy Edwards suggests, a second feed somewhere on the right hand vertical track can then feed the rest, but you will almost certainly need isolating gaps somewhere in the loops.  Make sure you connect the two feeds to your controller such that the same rail goes to the same terminal.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 11:52:44 am »
Sorry I didn't get a chance to mark up your diagram with the feeds as suggested but I think we have, between us, covered all of the pints you need to know.  You can either connect both feeds directly to the controller (simple solution and suitable for the purpose quoted) or fit a switch into the separate feeds if you want to have two locos on the main loop and have the ability to have one running on one side and the other isolated.

Offline broadies

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 12:01:25 pm »
both to one controller sounds best to novice like myself  thanks again

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 02:34:16 pm »
Unless you already have the track I'd suggest you avoid reverse 'S' curves in sidings as (a) stock will run better and (b) you get longer sidings. See below............

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything