!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.  (Read 2467 times)

Online Phoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 02:53:21 pm »
At last..... The windmill !

This was the first model I made and was going to be on a big grown up layout, until I decided on this one. However, it had a 16v AC motor, which was no good here.

This meant going back to Osborns, and getting a new one to build, which I did, and it went together well. To give it a bit more texture, and take away the plastic look it had even after painting, I covered the top section with sand.

Next was to find a way of powering it. I found this 5rpm motor from China on e-bay, and it runs off 3v.....Ideal  :)

Grrrrrr  >:(  Not ideal. Tested with a couple of batteries taped together, the motor works fine, and the speed is good, not too fast for it to take off ! Unfortunately it won't fit in the windmill.....I need a change of plan.

What I had to do was mount the motor underneath the mill, which meant it having to go through a hole in the top baseboard. I can see there may be trouble ahead ! The white plastic tube is a drive shaft glued to the motor drive, at one end, and the gearing for the sails at the other.

The little wooden wedge holds the motor at the right angle to connect with the sail gearing, as the sails are not vertical. They are at a slight angle to stop them fouling on the building walls.

Here it is all connected and ready for action

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:01:25 am by Phoenix »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 05:43:35 pm »
Great improvisation, nice touch with the sand

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 08:25:30 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Nice work! 

But the pictures intrigued me as I thought, why would the sails turn (in real life) when they are just an open framework with no surface to catch the wind?  I have come across windmills with "shutters" before, but not one like you have. 

I then found this by Googling which shows the framework like on your windmill, but with canvas sails to convert the framework into an aerodynamic surface:

http://www.goingplacesuk.com/waking-the-windmill-weekend-at-avoncroft-museum/

You might well know all this, but I learned something!  Are you going to add the canvas to your sails?

Cheers Jon  :)

PS: Looking forward to the MedVends!!
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Online Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2017, 11:56:46 pm »
Hi Jon.

I really have no idea how these things work.

My Mothers family  were all from Sussex, and as a child the Windmills I watched all looked like this, and when I lived and worked in Brixham, Devon I lived on Windmill Hill, so this layout is a little tribute to my friends there. The Windmill there was like this, so I am a very confused bunny.

Also I Googled "Windmills, Southern England" and found none with canvas,  but as you say, with no surface area as such, how does it happen that the sails turn, let alone provide a useful power .

"It's  a kinda Magic !!"

All kind regards
Kevin

Online Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2017, 01:03:29 am »
Putting the upper level together....

These were the buildings I had to accommodate...

The Windmill

The Pub

And the Boathouse

So with those buildings ready, and knowing where the track was, This foamboard template was attacked with Cider fuelled felt tips  :claphappy:

I am far better with felt tips and crayons than set squares and compasses. I do believe you get a far more natural feel with broad strokes, and once you have that organic plan, the fine details will work out later.

so........

1. A country road behind a dry stone wall. A bus will run along the road, and thanks to a lovely photo from someone here for inspiration. When I recall who I will give all due credit.

2. The Windmill.... on a hill !

3. A little barn, on the entrance from the road to the main scene.

4. Room for Greenhouse....Allotments maybe ?

5. The Pub, with patio for outside tables.

6. Access road to get into the inside of the oval, and reach the pub.

7. A Boathouse with facilities on the lake.

8. Rocky outcrops. Scenic effects to try and disguise the fact that the little oval is just that no more, and the engine driver will have severe problems with giddiness !!

9. Not sure yet... maybe a bridge for the access road to go over the track, or maybe a crossing. Favouring a bridge.

10. Boating lake.... Scenic pond ..... Just a bit of a puddle..... lets see what space we have.

11. Camping.... Tents..... towed caravan ?????????

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:18:42 am by Phoenix »

Online Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2017, 01:44:08 am »

Yay! ....  might work  :hmmm:  :worried:  :hmmm:

With kind regards
Kevin

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:45:48 am by Phoenix »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2017, 07:50:20 am »
Cracking stuff, great detailing ... long live the Sharpie :)

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2017, 08:37:10 am »
Why not pack the oval into a tunnel reaching from the leftmost "stone" to the road-crossing, there you could combine the tunnel-and the bridge.
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2017, 09:17:40 am »
More on Windmills:  You have aroused my interest!

Doing some Googling it seems there are two main types "Common sails" which are like yours, which need canvas sails to work.  In the Wikipedia entry for "windmill sails" there is a useful diagram showing how the sails are set.  They can be "reefed" - different ways of folding them to reduce area for strong winds.

I have found one with common sails  in Sussex - Halnaker near Chichester. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halnaker_Windmill

There are also quite a few around where I live, judging from the photographs, Lacey Green, Brill and Pitstone. A good excuse for a cycling route next weekend.

The other slatted type either "Patent" or "Sprung" which seem to be the majority of windmills in the UK - I guess that as technology advanced old windmills were converted to these improved  types.

An interesting windmill is at Great Grandsden - this has two common sails and two slatted types, so you can easily see the difference!

http://www.nationalmillsweekend.co.uk/pages_wind/greatgransden.htm

It seems quite rare to see windmills with common sails with the sails actually set in the UK, though there are lots of pics on the internet of examples in other countries.

Hope this is of interest

Cheers. Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Online Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2017, 12:02:48 pm »
Hi Jon,

I was a bit tired last night after I posted, but this morning I have been following up your info re windmill sails. Thank you so much. It has been really interesting to read, and I feel bad, as I should really have done the homework myself  :-[

I guess I should add the canvas on my "common sails" as they will be moving. It should not be too difficult as the sails are not yet fixed on the mill as I did not want them to get damaged.

I think tissue paper, or baby wipes should work. I will look on the threads for tarpaulins, and see what people are using. A similar technique should work here.

Once again thank you for your input  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also the controllers should be with you today. I posted them Monday afternoon so you should receive them today...I hope they will be OK for you.

With all best wishes
Kevin.

Online Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2017, 12:16:22 pm »
Hello Alexander.

That is what I may do. I don't want to enclose too much of the track, but I have the Sculptamold out this afternoon to model the embankments and the top level, so lets see what happens.

I have some cork bark for rocks that I have been playing with, but I was not too happy with that, so I bought these foam rocks .....

Anyway... off to find a mixing bowl, and I will keep you posted on how things work out  :)

With kind regards
Kevin.

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2017, 12:21:44 pm »
I was a bit tired last night after I posted, but this morning I have been following up your info re windmill sails. Thank you so much. It has been really interesting to read, and I feel bad, as I should really have done the homework myself  :-[

Hey Kevin, don't feel bad, I am really interested in this kind of thing so I enjoyed doing it and enriching my own knowledge. I'm really pleased if it has been helpful.   I will view the windmills I pass when cycling in a slightly different light now.

Post lady just called and dropped a couple a parcels; but they were bicycle parts not controllers.  Fingers crossed I'll get them tomorrow.

By the way, I love all your detailing work.  The pub looks great, the people in very realistic poses and finely done; it looks like it could be a much bigger scale.

Cheers Jon  :)

Offline JanW

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2017, 01:00:32 pm »
Living in Holland I'm quite amused by this conversation about windmills  :D
I'm afraid Faller don't produce British windmill models, this one is clearly based on a Dutch prototype!
And it seems we have magical winds blowing through our country which can set windmills without sails in action :claphappy:

To be a bit more serious: Dutch windmills only use sails when there is not enough wind.
As you can see the wings are profiled with wooden boards that catch the wind. Possibly the white parts on your model were intended to represent these boards?

Jan

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2017, 01:34:57 pm »
Living in Holland I'm quite amused by this conversation about windmills  :D
I'm afraid Faller don't produce British windmill models, this one is clearly based on a Dutch prototype!
And it seems we have magical winds blowing through our country which can set windmills without sails in action :claphappy:
To be a bit more serious: Dutch windmills only use sails when there is not enough wind.
As you can see the wings are profiled with wooden boards that catch the wind. Possibly the white parts on your model were intended to represent these boards?

Interesting....as you say this windmill has an aerodynamic surface for the first part of the chord which is somewhat like the aerofoil-shaped masts of some modern racing yachts.  The ones on Kevin's model look more like they are at 90deg to the airflow, so they would act as airbrakes rather than wings...at least from the photos...

Cheers. Jon  :)

Online Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2017, 03:52:05 pm »
 :claphappy: Yay !   :claphappy:

Confirmation from Holland ....... Windmills are Magic !!!!

That is a great video Jan, thank you for posting that, it seems to be just the same as the Faller model, and will certainly help with the detailing, and as you say, it looks like the white parts on my model are the boards shown in the video.

Thanks again for your help

With all best wishes
Kevin

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here