!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Intermountain trains  (Read 197 times)

Offline ngaugepaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8105
    • Awards
Intermountain trains
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:03:16 pm »
Thank you to all of those who responded to my earlier post when I expressed an interest in American N.

Since then I have weakened and bought a Kato Canadian National loco and I must admit I am really impressed with it. I note that you can by a new board to convert to DCC but it doesn't as far as I can see have a sound option which is a route I may wish to go down in the future. Do Kato offer a sound option on their locos ?

I have come across Intermountain products which seem to offer the DCC / sound option. I would appreciate anyones thought regarding their locos and products in general.

Thanks again.

Paul

Offline Gyppy101

• Awards
Re: Intermountain trains
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »
i did own two of their locos and found them to be excellent. Well up to Kato and Atlas standards.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 04:34:59 pm »
Kato seem slow to adapt to DCC, and in general they have large chassis blocks which take up most of the area within the body. This means they’re heavy, and run well, but means you’re not getting a speaker in without fairly major surgery on your loco!

Intermountain stuff seems nice in my limited experience, I keep half an eye out for an AC-12 cab forward!

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:17:23 pm »
Hello Paul

I don't have any Kato loco  :'(
But it seems that there are some sound decoders available for Kato.
http://www.digitrax.com/products/sound-decoders/

Dats  :camera:

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 08:13:12 pm »
I've got more than a few kato locos and three atlas -(well awaiting delivery of one !) These all been dead easy to convert to dcc using either tcs or digitrains replacement boards -ive done a kato one in 5 mins -its that easy ! Ive seen some done with dcc sound -but they all require the chassis block to be machined for the speaker -not something i could do or realy wanted !
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:25:45 pm »
In fact Paul -go onto my posts under n gauge mine based layout in this section -im sure i posted an Atlas going dcc -failing that go to you tube and search with kato n gauge with sound and you can see what I'm mean with the machining required ! Anything else ( coupling changes etc just ask !! :NGaugersRule:
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 09:23:55 pm »
Yep, if you're happy filing your chassis block down then you'll get a speaker in there. Quite honestly it's similar for a lot of UK stuff, sound is just still in its infancy in N gauge.

I've converted a Eurostar using a Digitrax decoder, IMO they're not all that easy, certainly not a patch on sockets, and actually harder than hard wiring a decoder IMO.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 12:44:33 am »
Hi Paul

I've just taken delivery of two Intermountain SD40-2s with DCC + sound

I have a post in the NGF on the following page which shows a couple of photos and a short clip of one of them:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6331.new;topicseen#new

They stuttered a bit when I first took them out of their boxes, but Spookshow tells me that this is due to the factory blackening of the wheels which will soon wear off. This seems to be the case as they are already running much better after a short time on the rails. They'll soon be running perfectly I'm sure.

I have two other DC Intermountain locos that I've had for a while (FP7 and an F7B). Terrific running, detail and paint jobs on these two.

I've got a whole lot of Kato locos and two of these SD40-2s have been equipped with sound by dropping in MRC 1806 replacement boards. No milling of the chassis block required, but I did need to solder on the two electrical wipers on the sides. This was pretty easy so this sound conversion was straightforward. These particular locos were pre 2007 and I gather that the later mid-production SD40-2s have a different chassis. In any event, I would guess that your CN Kato is an ES44AC which would require a different drop-in board. Some people swear by the MRC boards while others swear at them.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything