!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: PJ's first layout  (Read 565 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
Re: PJ's first layout
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 06:44:53 am »
That looks like stern stuff!  It should do the trick nicely.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 09:41:46 pm »
Not as much progress as I'd have liked over the last couple weeks. With a week of man-flu followed by a work trip to Germany I've not managed many evenings in the man cave.

Just a quick update on a couple of hours this evening.....

The profile framework is up and fixed;

I'm happy with this as it was a bit of pain to cut to size and fix. Working both sides of a wall on your own isn't easy. With the aid of a broom, some lengths of timbre and weights I got there in the end. Getting this done has allowed me to measure up for the baseboard which I'll get cut next. It's pretty solid too which s good.

Whilst I was out there I painted the second half of my trial piece for the back scene;

On the left is Dulux "Nordic Sky" and on the right is Colours (B&Q) "Sky". I wont decide until I've painted the clouds but for now I think the Nordic Sky is too dark. It's quite a big area so I'm favoring the lighter colour.

Next job will be to get the baseboard on and get some foam to start laying out the track and scenery. This will allow me to mark the cutouts in the wall and then build the shelf on the hidden side. I'll be in Germany every week for a few weeks now so progress will be slow. The biggest downside to this is too much thinking time. I've already changed the layout in my head a dozen times....... who knows what it will end up as!  :confusedsign:

All good fun  :D

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 02:27:17 pm »
A few hours in the man cave today. Made a start on the baseboard and scenery structure.

First was the incline..... I've been debating with myself for weeks about the best way to construct the incline. I think  I must have watched every single youtube video and seen a hundred different methods and in the end I did it in a way that I've not seen done before!  :confused1:

The bottom small piece to the right hand side is a single cut piece.

The rest of the foam you can see is a single piece with "slots" to provide the slope. This makes the transistions between slope and flat really smooth. It is also quite structural and solid. I will fill the gap under the incline at a later date.

I now have flat areas to build on. Starting with the right hand side I have made the "cliffes" that will eventually have the tunnel portal fitted once it's been glued and shaped.

Before gluing and shaping I need to do some more planning. There will be a bridge to the left of the incline... somewhere. The scenery needs to be modular and built off of the baseboard due to the height. I also have the issue of the layout being the entire width of the room so bringing it down whole will be difficult as there wont be enough room to work on it. My plan is to split the baseboard at the bridge with the final height of the river being below the board. This will give me 2 baseboards to work on on the workbench and add some dimension to the layout and keep the height down. I can add the river last when the 2 boards are finished and in place. I hope that makes sense!

I enjoyed cutting up the foam. My plan is still quite loose so it was nice to get things in place and see how they look. Once everything is glued and shaped (with foil peeled off where required) I can cut the hole through the wall. Still undecided on what the middle and left hand side will look like so who knows what might happen! The only plan I have so far is to add height where possible to aid the viewing angle. No specific era, region, country etc.... just having fun doing it.

Thanks for looking!
Paul

edit - The pictures make it look very "enclosed". The plan is to shape the cliffs faces at a good angle so it will open it up quite a bit.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:29:49 pm by Pjlons83 »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything