!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: PJ's first layout  (Read 566 times)

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
PJ's first layout
« on: October 15, 2017, 10:09:24 pm »
Hi All,

After introducing myself in the welcome forum, a few people asked about my plans so I thought I'd start a progress thread here. I have posted similar on another forum so sorry to anyone who may have already seen it. I'm currently still in the planning stage with just a few decisions made so I'm still open to ideas and of course - advice!

The layout is my first as I'm completely new to model railways. I arrived at N gauge based on the space I had available. I wanted a continuous loop and only had around a foot in width to play with so I'm going with a "shelf" with the loop split in half by a dividing wall. The side on view is in my "man cave" with the other side being the garage.

The board on top of the white unit is where the base will sit.

To give a better idea of the room/space I have mocked it up in basic form in sketchup;

(The split in the shelf was an early idea to add a floating bridge between the 2 as a feature. Not sure whether that will actually happen or not....)

The height of the shelf means that not a lot will be visible other than the front edge;

This is to scale to show what the viewing angle looks like. I will consider this during my design by adding height and features.

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
Re: PJ's first layout
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 10:24:47 pm »
I'll be controlling things using an Arduino. The basic idea is DC with a few sensors to add some features. More on this later when I've got it all worked out....

Controller just mocked up for now with only the speed control pot working.

Indecently, the picture of the clouds in the background was me practicing for the back-scene.

Now I have the basic speed control working I can start building as I have a means of testing the track. I took a little video tonight............. just because I got a bit excited at making something move  :D !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIQbftD2hG8

The engines were very kindly lent to me by a member on another forum.  :beers:

Thats all I have for now, I have the material to make the shelf framework and hope to start mounting/painting over the next week or so. The final look is yet to be decided but I'm not aiming at a specific era or area just something with height like a cliff scene (with the white pass and yukon route in mind) or english countryside hills with small scenes on each end outside the bends.

Thanks for looking.
Paul

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:33:43 pm »
Hello.  If I understand correctly you plan to build the layout at above head height and have half of it in your room and half in an adjacent garage.  This is certainly an interesting arrangement but it could potentially lead to certain difficulties for access and operation.  You might obtain more pleasure with a layout a little bit lower to give you a realistic viewing height without needing to stand on a step stool or similar.  It will probably be more convenient to operate if it is all in your room, rather than half in the garage.

As this is your first layout, it might be an idea to start with a simpler plan and build up some experience before building something like you suggest.

I hope you get lots of fun and enjoyment from the wonderful hobby that is 'N' gauge.

With all good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 10:45:16 pm »
Hi John,

Thank you for the comments. you do understand correctly. The bookcase against the wall under the shelf is actually a door through to the garage side so access is no problem. I like the idea of the shelf being out of the way but visible as a feature. The track will run along the front edge so will be visible and I will be elevating it slightly to aid the visual aspect further. The scenery will be quite basic as not much can be seen, so it will be an ideal place to practice I think.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 10:56:28 pm »
I would really suggest some form of clear barrier fronting the baseboard as a certain law will say something derails and you don't want it plummeting to the floor, especially not from that height!

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 11:15:02 pm »
The height of the shelf means that not a lot will be visible other than the front edge;

This is to scale to show what the viewing angle looks like. I will consider this during my design by adding height and features.

I've considered a high-level shelf layout myself. I thought of fitting the shelf at an angle - such that the outer-edge of the shelf was lower than the edge abutting the wall - to allow a better view. I imagined that use of DCC Concepts' Powerbase might help prevent what would otherwise be very expensive derailments.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 12:02:04 am »
I thought of fitting the shelf at an angle - such that the outer-edge of the shelf was lower than the edge abutting the wall - to allow a better view.

Hi RG,

I am picturing a similar viewing angle, but with the scenery providing the slope. Imagine this kind of scenery with the sea wall being the front of the shelf;

Picture from www.worldtravelguide.net

Thank you to everyone for the ideas.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 12:12:39 am »
A very interesting concept. As NewportNobby says, though, you are going to need some sort of barrier to prevent expensive locomotives and stock taking the plunge.

I speak from experience!  :'(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline colpatben

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 08:26:29 am »
Oohh and the OP is a Mamod fan.

N Gauge live steam anyone?
We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 08:34:45 am »
Well spotted! Now that's bringing back memories!  :beers:

Thanks, Colin, and....

Good on ya, PJ!

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 09:16:04 am »
Well spotted indeed!

Luckily from that angle you can’t see that it needs a repair. I bought it with the whistle missing and generally in bad shape. The whistle hole had been bunged so it ran..... it just needs the new whistle fitting and seals replacing and it will run again.......

It’s in the list!  :-\

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 09:51:03 am »
Cool! I was going to say I had one as a kid, but it wasn't mine!

Me mate kept bringing his round to my house, and with the big metho flame, I felt sure he was gonna burn me bedroom down!

In hindsight,  that's probably why his parents sent him around to my place with it  ;D

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 10:15:28 am »
At risk of going off topic - this was the day it was delivered - https://youtu.be/2-sCF7bjgbg. I know what you mean about the meths flame, there’s no way I’d risk running in the house.  :no:

It looks a lot better now, just need to get round to fixing it.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 10:45:49 am »
That video is really good, and brings back a ton of memories!

But you are correct.... getting off topic.

But it would  be great if you started a Mamod topic, under other hobbies! I'll wager we'll  get some adherents,  including Mamod live steam loco fans!  :beers:

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 09:20:46 pm »
I bounced lots of ideas around for how to best build the shelf strong enough but without big brackets below it and then thought about the “Bosch profile” that we use at work. I managed to scrounge a few lengths destined for the skip and had them cut to size so £0 spent which is always a bonus!

I bolted the first half together tonight and it’s solid so it should take the weight no problem. They build industrial machines out of this stuff! Before I mount them I need some longer “T” bolts that go through the 20mm wall for a nut and spreader washer in the back.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:23:16 pm by Pjlons83 »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here