!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ais Gill on a standard internal house door  (Read 3425 times)

AR and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Ais Gill on a standard internal house door
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2017, 11:14:35 am »
I see what you're saying. That's what I was thinking.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline jools1959

• N Gauge Society Number: 27226
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2017, 11:30:21 am »
This was the original track plan by Alan Cooper, the Chairman of East Beds MRS and the baseboards were going to be 12ft x 4ft.  As you can see, the layout footprint almost matched it's prototypical footprint as well.  Trouble is, events and circumstances have forced me to scale back my plans.

As I'm not a great fan of "roundy round" layouts, I was going to have staging tracks with a turntable at each end, so the loco could be turned and then head back looking as if the train had gone to Carlisle, Glasgow, Leeds, London etc and returned with a different loco.  Also, the use of turntables reduced the danger of drops, derailments etc.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:42:57 am by jools1959 »

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2017, 12:01:05 pm »
I agree that gentle curves will look much better than straight tracks. I obviously don't know how much spare space, if any, you've got at the ends of the baseboard, but I managed to ease the curve at one end of my layout by adding a small hinged drop-down extension baseboard. It adds just 10" to the length of the baseboard when in use and when folded down it's just an extra inch and half. But it made a big difference to the look of the curve as it approached the end of the baseboard proper. There's a photo in this post:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg463500#msg463500

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2017, 12:20:00 pm »
Hi Jools,

I'll say the following before someone else does!

The double-ended design with turntables means of course that you must have good access to the back; in fact, if you are operating single-handed then all operation must be from the back.  Otherwise it's a two-person job.   It would be a good idea to consider where you will operate from if you haven't already, as wiring approach will follow.

I would put in a cross-over in the fiddle yard so you could run round-roundy for testing, running-in etc.

The raised ground behind the signal box allows an option for point-motors - they could be under the sides of the cutting, and accessed from the rear though a cut-out in the back scene.  The one limitation that I concede about flush doors as baseboards is that it is hard to use solenoid point motors under the baseboard in the conventional way.  This has never bothered me as I don't like this type of approach anyway, but if you are going to use them it means a bit of forethought as I have intimated above.

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2017, 01:30:55 pm »
Hi Jools,

I'll say the following before someone else does!

The double-ended design with turntables means of course that you must have good access to the back; in fact, if you are operating single-handed then all operation must be from the back.  Otherwise it's a two-person job.   It would be a good idea to consider where you will operate from if you haven't already, as wiring approach will follow.

I would put in a cross-over in the fiddle yard so you could run round-roundy for testing, running-in etc.

The raised ground behind the signal box allows an option for point-motors - they could be under the sides of the cutting, and accessed from the rear though a cut-out in the back scene.  The one limitation that I concede about flush doors as baseboards is that it is hard to use solenoid point motors under the baseboard in the conventional way.  This has never bothered me as I don't like this type of approach anyway, but if you are going to use them it means a bit of forethought as I have intimated above.

Hi Jon,

For now, I think I'm going to go for the "roundy round" option for now as I doubt I'll have space to put in a turntable.  Had I been going for the larger layout, then I will have put in the two turntables and operated the layout from the rear.

My friend who had the "cunning plan" had already suggested that the point motors went behind the back scene and operated by rods in tubes.  He beat you to it  :P :P :P

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2017, 02:59:47 pm »
Here are some pictures taken in 1983 (I think) when I went on a SLOA trip from London St Pancras to Carlisle via Sheffield, Leeds and over the S&C.  It started behind a Class 45/1 Peak (I can't remember which one) and changed at Sheffield to LMS Black 5 5305 to Leeds.  I remember it was such a great run and then the highlight at Leeds, we changed to 46229 "Duchess of Hamilton".  We had a terrific and spirited run over the S&C, stopping at Hellifield and Appleby for water and photo stops  The run back from Carlisle was with another Class 45/1 Peak back over the S&C but in darkness this time. 

They may not be of great quality as I had to scan them from prints, so I hope you like them.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2017, 03:20:48 pm »
A great set of pictures!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2017, 04:34:36 pm »
Here's a horribly drawn and very basic suggestion. The outer oval would be 12" radius which would give a very small amount of board each side. Note there are no crossovers or pointwork other than a basic fiddle yard in each direction. I still have concerns about larger locos running on the inner oval, especially Dapol ones which do not seem to have the same 'slop' in their drive trains as Farish (my latest Farish Duchess will do 9" radius)

Offline Buffin

• N Gauge Society Number: 27205
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2017, 04:37:23 pm »
It won't let me Thank You for those pictures, but I do  :greatpicturessign:

Offline signalman1

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2017, 05:00:08 pm »
Here are some pictures taken in 1983 (I think) when I went on a SLOA trip from London St Pancras to Carlisle via Sheffield, Leeds and over the S&C.  It started behind a Class 45/1 Peak (I can't remember which one) and changed at Sheffield to LMS Black 5 5305 to Leeds.  I remember it was such a great run and then the highlight at Leeds, we changed to 46229 "Duchess of Hamilton".  We had a terrific and spirited run over the S&C, stopping at Hellifield and Appleby for water and photo stops  The run back from Carlisle was with another Class 45/1 Peak back over the S&C but in darkness this time. 

They may not be of great quality as I had to scan them from prints, so I hope you like them.

You can't beat a Duchess on the S+C.  :thumbsup:

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2017, 05:05:53 pm »
Here's a horribly drawn and very basic suggestion. The outer oval would be 12" radius which would give a very small amount of board each side. Note there are no crossovers or pointwork other than a basic fiddle yard in each direction. I still have concerns about larger locos running on the inner oval, especially Dapol ones which do not seem to have the same 'slop' in their drive trains as Farish (my latest Farish Duchess will do 9" radius)

Are you sure you have the right width of board there Mick?  Deansmoor uses R3/R2 end curves at one end and there is a good 5" between track and board edge...at that end

“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2017, 05:09:34 pm »
It won't let me Thank You for those pictures, but I do  :greatpicturessign:

Shame, it won't let me do the same either.  Not sure why ??? ??? ???

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2017, 07:33:42 pm »
I suspect NPN knows the answer.... :no:
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2017, 10:27:48 pm »
A very interesting project, I look forward to seeing your progress.

The Duchess of Hamilton is my all time favourite Loco, so those pictures are wonderful.

Cheers, timmo

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2017, 10:23:46 am »

Are you sure you have the right width of board there Mick?  Deansmoor uses R3/R2 end curves at one end and there is a good 5" between track and board edge...at that end

I must admit to being over cautious as I'm never quite sure what the quoted radii are based on i.e. outside of track, centre of track etc and I'm also paranoid about plummeting stock :worried:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything