!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ais Gill on a standard internal house door  (Read 3426 times)

AR and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Ais Gill on a standard internal house door
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 10:06:34 am »
Cool inspiration, NpN, even though I've only just seen them in mags, and the cool videos you've just posted.  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 10:11:36 am »
Check out also David Fearns 'Blea Moor' and Andy Calverts 'Moorcock Junction'

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 10:15:16 am »
Yes indeed. I'm falling asleep with Rails in the Fells here in Oz tonight!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline signalman1

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 10:20:03 am »
Great videos, they have certainly inspired me. :)

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 01:15:38 pm »
Must admit a door wouldn't be my choice for a baseboard at all - too thick for easy mounting of point motors, and depending on how it's made it could be no more than a thin surface and block wood around the edges but with horrible interior filling.   Also too large for easy man-handling, and too much plain flat surface which limits scenery contouring.

Just to save going over old ground, this thread thoroughly discusses all the reasons why flush doors are a bad idea for baseboards!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=15085.msg149699#msg149699

I think it is one of those Marmite topics, people seem to either love them or hate them, no amount of reasoning will change either side's position, so best to let lie.

Jools; ntnpntpntp does bring up a good point about point motors; you need to think about how you will operate the points before track laying; let's see your plan when you have it and can advise.....

Cheers. Jon  :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:21:32 pm by PostModN66, Reason: typo »
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline jools1959

• N Gauge Society Number: 27226
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 03:20:21 pm »

I've done a quick "dry run" of the track plan and to my eye and looks like reasonable representation of Ais Gill, albeit very condensed.  Once I have the Woodland Scenics trackbed which I have on order, I'll make a start of nailing it all down lol.

The signal box is being kept in it's box for safe keeping until ready.

Offline signalman1

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 03:44:30 pm »
Great start.Keep the progress pics coming buddy.  :thumbsup:

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 03:53:25 pm »
I tried to post a couple of pictures of two of the loco's that will run on the layout but unfortunately they are jpeg and they need to be pdf, so if someone can tell me how to change the files, I can't post them.  Both are Graham Farish, DCC fitted and renumbered and weathered beautifully by TMC.  The Jubilee is 45562 "Alberta" in it's 1967 condition and the WD is 90243 which is also sound fitted.  Shame that sound couldn't be fitted to Alberta.

I also have a Farish 45596"Bahamas" which will be kept as is and I have two more Farish Jubilee's which are due to arrive soon and will be sent up to TMC.  One will become 45593 "Kolhapur" but the other will become either 45647 "Sturdee" or 45675 "Hardy". 

Maybe I should buy another and have five in total.  It's a good thing I live alone  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You can never have too many Jubilees

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »
Whoah Jules.....

Before you pin the track down, how are you going to operate the points.....

Cheers

Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 04:11:49 pm »
I tried to post a couple of pictures of two of the loco's that will run on the layout but unfortunately they are jpeg and they need to be pdf, so if someone can tell me how to change the files, I can't post them.  Both are Graham Farish, DCC fitted and renumbered and weathered beautifully by TMC.  The Jubilee is 45562 "Alberta" in it's 1967 condition and the WD is 90243 which is also sound fitted.  Shame that sound couldn't be fitted to Alberta.

I also have a Farish 45596"Bahamas" which will be kept as is and I have two more Farish Jubilee's which are due to arrive soon and will be sent up to TMC.  One will become 45593 "Kolhapur" but the other will become either 45647 "Sturdee" or 45675 "Hardy". 

Maybe I should buy another and have five in total.  It's a good thing I live alone  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You can never have too many Jubilees

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 04:16:21 pm »
Whoah Jules.....

Cheers

Don't worry Jon, I'm not "nailing it down", rather gluing it down and using pins to hold it it place as it drys.  Behind the scenes, it's going to be the "finger of god" method but for the scenic side, it will probably be with either Peco or Seep motors.  I had a chat with a friend of mine and he thinks he has a cunning plan to install the point motors.

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 04:44:49 pm »
Whoah Jules.....

Cheers

Don't worry Jon, I'm not "nailing it down", rather gluing it down and using pins to hold it it place as it drys.  Behind the scenes, it's going to be the "finger of god" method but for the scenic side, it will probably be with either Peco or Seep motors.  I had a chat with a friend of mine and he thinks he has a cunning plan to install the point motors.

Cool.....

My suggestion for the point motors is to keep them top-side, either using the side-mounted motors or operating via a length of wire-in-tube; I would take the W-i-T to behind the back scene to make the motors super-easy to maintain.   Interested in your friend's cunning plan....

Cheers. Jon  :)

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 06:00:23 pm »
Some of the loco's that will grace the layout (eventually).

East Coast A1's were rare on the S&C but I just had to have one as I got this at a great price.  It will be sent off to TMC and renumbered and renamed 60154 "Bon Accord" which travelled over the S&C in 1964 on a Summer Saturday Special from Leicester to Gourock.  If possible, sound fitted.

Again, another East Coast interloper but I'm reliably told the Deltic's appeared from time to time, usually on diversion.  This will be DCC, sound fitted then sent to TMC to be breathed on as one of the last to be in green as all of the class were repainted in blue by the end of the 60's.

Two of my Jubilee's, 45596 "Bahamas" and my favourite, 45562 "Alberta" in it's 1967 condition.  Not sure if Bahamas will get the TMC treatment.

Dapol Britannia 70028, formerly "Royal Star" in run down 1967 condition, minus it's nameplates.  This is another TMC weathering and renumbering job.

I doubt ever any East Coast A2's ever ventured onto the S&C during their working lives, but as preserved 60532 "Blue Peter" was working over BR lines in the late 70's, early 80's, no reason not to say it wasn't a substitute loco on the Cumbrian  Mountain Express.  Another whimsy of mine.

A recent purchase, Graham Farish's lovely Ivatt 2MT.  This again will be going to TMC to be renumbered as 43036, the last one to work over the line in 1967.

Another whimsy, prototype Deltic probably never ventured over the S&C but in my world, it worked some of it's last miles over the route and lasted a little longer.  Again this will be weathered, DCC and sound fitted.

Black 5 45110, the starting and finishing loco of BR's last steam run in 1968, the "Fifteen Guinea Special" from Liverpool to Carlisle over the S&C.  I'm planning to recreate this train and I have another Dapol Brit, 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" at TMC having the tender crests changed and the nameboard fitted.

Another favourite, Graham Farish WD which has been renumbered to 90243 and is DCC and sound fitted.  It's is just awesome to watch and listen to it clank away and can't wait to get at least one circuit up and running and watch it in proper action.

Offline signalman1

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 06:30:33 pm »
Great collection of locos, I went to see the recreation of the "15 Guinea Special" at Appleby station where it had a water stop a few years ago.

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 07:24:13 pm »
Here is a model of the train that started it all.  In 1984, I had haulage over the S&C behind 46229 "Duchess of Hamilton" and the SLOA Mk I Pullman coaches, so when Graham Farish produced the Cumbrian Mountain Express set, I had to have it recreate the train.  I was nearly finished in recreating the train as the loco had been DCC and sound fitted, when earlier this year I got burgled and the complete train got taken  :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

Anyway, I've started again but here are pictures of the train which was being used to mark out my former clubs Aylesbury layout.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything