!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ais Gill on a standard internal house door  (Read 3401 times)

Offline jools1959

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27226
    • Awards
Ais Gill on a standard internal house door
« on: October 14, 2017, 07:16:39 pm »
I've been scratching for ideas on how start building my 1960's S&C Ais Gill layout as my wood butchery is not great and after several attempts, I nearly gave up.  I attended the the Great Electric Train Show and spoke to Jon, the owner of "Deansmoor" and he told me how he build his layout on a standard internal house door.

After picking his brains, I decided to take the plunge and bought a 6ft x 30ins door and two steel trestles from Wicks and about to make a start on building the layout.  The trackwork will be Peco Code 55 laid on Woodland Scenic's underlay as I've used that in the past and had fairly good results.  The outside radius curves will have to be 14 inches and will hopefully handle the biggest steam loco's I have (Duchess and 9F's).

I know that the track plan will be highly condensed as it really needs to be twice as long to look realistic, but as this is a first build,  I can learn from the mistakes I make on this and learn from them if I ever do a Mk II layout.

I will be posting pictures of any progress I make and would welcome any constructive criticism on the layout's build.

Julian Sprott
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:32:30 pm by jools1959 »

Offline signalman1

• Awards
Re: Ais Gill on a standard internal house door
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 07:26:33 pm »
Looking forward to this build buddy, One of my favorite stretches of line. :thumbsup:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:10:07 pm »
The trackwork will be Peco Code 55 laid on Woodland Scenic's underlay as I've used that in the past and had fairly good results.  The outside radius curves will have to be 14 inches and will hopefully handle the biggest steam loco's I have (Duchess and 9F's).

Although no two locos are the same as they are hand built, I use code 55 with 11-12" curves and my Duchess and 9Fs traverse the curves with no issues, as does every loco I have.
What will help for a model of that area is the 'less is more' concept. Where you have trees don't have them standing vertically - it's pretty damned windy up there!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:24 pm »
Looking forward to seeing more of this project.

You've prompted me to dig out my trusty Rails in the Fells by the late David Jenkinson!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 10:42:38 pm »
Although no two locos are the same as they are hand built, I use code 55 with 11-12" curves and my Duchess and 9Fs traverse the curves with no issues, as does every loco I have.
What will help for a model of that area is the 'less is more' concept. Where you have trees don't have them standing vertically - it's pretty damned windy up there!
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice on radius and it's encouraging to know that my Graham Farish Duchesses (I have 3) and Dapol 9F (one for now) with go through hopefully with few problems.  As you wrote about "less is more", I'm planning on using the "KISS" (Keep it simple, stupid) principle and hence apart from the signal box, there will be very few structures.  I never thought about the trees and I'll certainly take a close look next year to see how distorted they are when I go up to the area around Ais Gill, probably late spring/summer next year to get some pictures for the back scene.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:06:57 am by jools1959 »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 11:15:42 pm »
Must admit a door wouldn't be my choice for a baseboard at all - too thick for easy mounting of point motors, and depending on how it's made it could be no more than a thin surface and block wood around the edges but with horrible interior filling.   Also too large for easy man-handling, and too much plain flat surface which limits scenery contouring.

Will be interested to see how you get on?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 11:16:05 pm »
I tried to post a couple of pictures of two of the loco's that will run on the layout but unfortunately they are jpeg and they need to be pdf, so if someone can tell me how to change the files, I can't post them.  Both are Graham Farish, DCC fitted and renumbered and weathered beautifully by TMC.  The Jubilee is 45562 "Alberta" in it's 1967 condition and the WD is 90243 which is also sound fitted.  Shame that sound couldn't be fitted to Alberta.

I also have a Farish 45596"Bahamas" which will be kept as is and I have two more Farish Jubilee's which are due to arrive soon and will be sent up to TMC.  One will become 45593 "Kolhapur" but the other will become either 45647 "Sturdee" or 45675 "Hardy". 

Maybe I should buy another and have five in total.  It's a good thing I live alone  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 11:20:04 pm »
Must admit a door wouldn't be my choice for a baseboard at all - too thick for easy mounting of point motors, and depending on how it's made it could be no more than a thin surface and block wood around the edges but with horrible interior filling.   Also too large for easy man-handling, and too much plain flat surface which limits scenery contouring.

Will be interested to see how you get on?

I ask Jon about that on his layout Deansmoor when I was talking to him, and he said it wasn't a problem.  As I said earlier in my post, my wood butchery is truly appalling and even worse since my minor stroke, so I've opted for the easiest option (In my opinion).

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 11:25:42 pm »
As I said earlier in my post, my wood butchery is truly appalling and even worse since my minor stroke, so I've opted for the easiest option (In my opinion).

Fairy nuff.  You didn't consider contacting one of the firms who'll build baseboards for you?  I'm sure that would give you various options for size, style, with or without legs, and maybe two smaller and more manageable boards rather than one large lump?  Would cost a bit more than a door of course, but I think you'd end up with something far better.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 11:44:38 pm »
unfortunately they are jpeg and they need to be pdf,
Something gone wrong there then because the forum should accept jpeg, I upload jpg normally but just done a quick jpeg test and that went ok.
What error are you getting?

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 11:45:12 pm »
As I said earlier in my post, my wood butchery is truly appalling and even worse since my minor stroke, so I've opted for the easiest option (In my opinion).

Fairy nuff.  You didn't consider contacting one of the firms who'll build baseboards for you?  I'm sure that would give you various options for size, style, with or without legs, and maybe two smaller and more manageable boards rather than one large lump?  Would cost a bit more than a door of course, but I think you'd end up with something far better.

I did consider all options but I got the door and two trestles for less than one 3x4ft baseboard from a builder (and I'd still have had to build it); also as I would have then needed two, it was a bit of a no-brainer to use the door.  Also space was an issue and after weighing up all the options for my situation, using the door was the optimum solution.

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 11:49:12 pm »
unfortunately they are jpeg and they need to be pdf,
Something gone wrong there then because the forum should accept jpeg, I upload jpg normally but just done a quick jpeg test and that went ok.
What error are you getting?

Hi there,

I used the "attachments and other options" instead of "add image to post and upload to gallery".  It must be getting late.  My excuse and I'm sticking to it  :P :P :P

Offline jools1959

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 11:57:52 pm »

The Farish Jubilee was renumbered, renamed and weathered by TMC to 45562 "Alberta" in it's 1967 condition and the Farish WD was also renumbered by TMC to 90243.  This loco has been sound fitted by Digitrains and has to be seen to be believed as it clanks along.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:04:06 am by jools1959 »

Offline signalman1

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 08:09:17 am »

The Farish Jubilee was renumbered, renamed and weathered by TMC to 45562 "Alberta" in it's 1967 condition and the Farish WD was also renumbered by TMC to 90243.  This loco has been sound fitted by Digitrains and has to be seen to be believed as it clanks along.

Cracking locos buddy, especially "Alberta" :drool:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 10:00:15 am »
A couple of my favourite layouts, which may give you some ideas (plenty more on YouTube)

Batty Moor

Dentdale (they do run transition era sometimes!)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here