NPorium messaging (Facebook)

Started by davecttr, October 08, 2017, 11:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

I think you can be a very passive consumer on the Facebook group - people are on Facebook all the time and stuff just pops up. The audience is far greater, most of the names on there aren't people I recognise from here (accepting that I don't know everyone's name). The N'porium here requires that not only do you visit the site, but you either happen to be looking at 'all recent threads' when someone posts something, or you actively seek it out. Considering you see the same items time and time again it can be a little stale. I also get confused when trying to find things that there are buy now, auctions, and then other places where it's all lumped together.

Personally I don't think there's the volume to separate it all out by 'type'. I wouldn't do auctions, you'll never match eBay for user friendliness, and again there's not the volume, so sellers will be put off as there's a high likelihood of things going for the start price.

I've bought a few things through the N'porium over the years, all of which have been good, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be my place to sell, I'm still an eBay kinda guy - I think for selling the volume is traffic is key. However, I fear the lack of traffic is a bit chicken and egg.

I've linked to this site before, as I really like the layout, and I fully accept it's the total antithesis of here, but Singletrackworld, which is ostensibly a cycling forum has an incredibly active classified page, with many people just posting as 'classified users' and never going on the forum. Looking at the first page of items as I write there's a Volvo XC60, some Beats headphones, action cameras and tools among the bike stuff for sale.

Just my £0.02, which I know isn't always welcome :)

Webbo

If you want to sell stuff, I think EBay is the way to go. It has a huge audience and search engines that work really well for connecting buyer to seller. When searching for a particular item through Google, I'm usually provided with one or more EBay sellers so Google is certainly in on the act. I don't like EBay and PayPal charges any more than anyone else - EBay is often referred to with derogatory terms on this forum (FleaBay etc.). However, one is more likely to sell an item and for a higher price than through the free channels. EBay provides a big service, but I'm afraid it doesn't come for nothing.

My strategy would be to start listing things with N'Porium and if that doesn't yield results in a reasonable time then transfer your listings to EBay. A key consideration is how much of a hurry you're in to make a sale.

Webbo

davecttr

Which N'porium, there are two of them  :confused1:

Railwaygun

Quote from: davecttr on October 10, 2017, 11:25:09 AM
Which N'porium, there are two of them  :confused1:

Nporium is Facebook

N'Porium is NGF (change it to NGFporium??)

Simples!!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

njee20

Quote from: Railwaygun on October 10, 2017, 11:52:30 AM
Nporium is Facebook

N'Porium is NGF (change it to NGFporium??)

Simples!!

Both have apostrophes and are styled identically, I do agree it's a little confuddling!

Tank

They both have the same name, it's just the URL's don't let you have apostrophes. 

emjaybee

Why the heck are we discussing FaceBurp on here?

I can't see the problem. Don't use FaceAche, use the NGF N'porium, I have the lowest user transaction rating - 1 (still loving those Staniers @newportnobby), it's simple, straightforward and doesn't involve me being bombarded with random crap from other users showing me what their dog barfed up when it came back from it's walk.

NGF Rules!

:laugh3:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Tank

Absolutely nothing wrong with Facebook.  It's how you as an individual use it.  I have zero problems, keep in touch with friends, family, all absolutely fine.  It's just another website.  Don't like it, why comment about it?!  :)

Quote from: emjaybee on October 11, 2017, 04:13:40 PM
NGF Rules!

:laugh3:

Thank you!   :thumbsup: :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations