!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New..But Old!  (Read 338 times)

Offline Old Crow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
New..But Old!
« on: October 07, 2017, 12:20:15 am »
Don't laugh but it's nearly fifty years since I last had anything to do with model railways but now I'm retired and looking for a quiet hobby where I can exercise some of my modelling skills --- and wallow in nostalgia.
I'm old enough to remember Hornby Dublo 3-rail with the metal track and centre conductor - anyone else? I believe it used to stop at Stonehenge!
For reasons of space it's got to be N-gauge now and whilst I may be interested in digital eventually, for now, for simplicity it will be dc analogue.
Perhaps my seminal experience with steam rail was watching the Coronation Pacifics on the UK West coast main line hauling out of Lancaster and beginning the climb up to Shap and Carlisle on route for Glasgow.
To that end I'll be looking for a Graham Farish Princess Coronation hauling Maroon Mk 1 stock. Who knows, eventually I may even do a miniature model of my own self, aged 10, peering over the fence of my aunt's back garden in 1960, whilst standing on an N-gauge dustbin!
I intend to use flexi-track and there is a lot I don't know about laying this, plus wiring and isolation, points, power controllers, locomotive technicals etc, so please excuse idiot questions from time to time. I hope to benefit from the huge wealth of experience here.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
Re: New..But Old!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 01:00:42 am »
Don't laugh but it's nearly fifty years since I last had anything to do with model railways but now I'm retired and looking for a quiet hobby where I can exercise some of my modelling skills --- and wallow in nostalgia.
I'm old enough to remember Hornby Dublo 3-rail with the metal track and centre conductor - anyone else? I believe it used to stop at Stonehenge!

Shap and Carlisle on route for Glasgow.
To that end I'll be looking for a Graham Farish Princess Coronation hauling Maroon Mk 1 stock.

Welcome aboard !

Yep, me, and still got all my Dublo 3-rail in the attic, one of these days I might even clear a space and lay it all out again ! Meanwhile I am also experimenting with N. How long my eyesight and dexterity will allow is another matter (see your 1960's and raise you a few lol! :)  )

I was 1/2 way above you in Carlisle (see nostalgia post in the Waverly route topic !) during LMS and BR days and have a Duchess hauling maroons. We were fortunate that LNER passed through from Edinburgh and Newcastle so I will also add A4 's etc to my 4F 's, later perhaps,  (Sir Nigel in Dublo is still up there in the attic)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:03:23 am by MalcolmAL »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 01:05:23 am »
G'day from Australia, mate, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Yeah, there a few of us around this parish who remember the Dublo.... I started out with Hornby wind-up tinplate!   :-[
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 07:49:53 am »
Welcome aboard from another former Hornby Dublo modeller.
Good that you have got back into modelling. Hope you enjoy it.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 08:53:16 am »
Welcome aboard, Old Crow :wave:
I would heartily recommend Brian Lambert as a reference guide for wiring although even the simplest things are beyond me. Show me a simple wiring diagram and it might as well be Klingon speak.

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk

Online Ditape

• N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 09:25:33 am »
 :hellosign: :welcomesign:
I also remember Dublo I started out with Tri-ang on the grey series 2 track.
Diane Tape

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 09:29:45 am »
Sort of like an 00 version of Kato!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 09:38:04 am »
Welcome aboard and to the hours of fun that is 'N' gauge.

You'll find lots of help on this Forum.  If you can't find what you are looking for, please ask.

In the first instance, I recommend this, which was written by a very knowledgeable and helpful member (I see he has already replied to you):

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.msg416493#msg416493

Best wishes

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 10:48:30 am »
 :welcomesign:

You will find lots of friendly and helpful people here. I seem to have done things back to front, I started with N gauge and now have a small collection of Hornby Dublo as well   :)

The new Peco - 'Your guide to N gauge modeling' is a very useful handbook. As to be expected it has a lot of good information about track and getting that right is essential to avoid wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 02:50:26 am »
Thanks guys for the reference links, any help like that gratefully appreciated.
an economical way of changing points will be an early issue.

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 12:42:10 am »
Help! Out of control!!!
I started just thinking I'd run some trains on a board on an existing workbench!
And Now! Having joined this forum, it's all expanding exponentially! The small portable board has grown into a major engineering project, a permanent platform over seven feet long, with an L-shaped extension and scope for major landscaping. And- like it's full scale counterpart, it's late, running into technical difficulties - and way over budget!
I can see me really getting into this!

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 04:42:37 am »
Hi Old Crow,

Many of the members of this forum have standard pieces of advice they dish out and here is mine:  Start out by making a really small simple layout so you can learn key skills. Something you can finish in a few weeks and feel a sense of accomplishment. I'm talking about something really small; a little shunting plank with two or three points maybe.

In the meantime you might change your ideas about what your "big" project would be. Typically beginners go for a large "train set" style layout, then half way through realise they would prefer a more realistic approach and rip it up and start again. 

Here is a relevant thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=16753.msg166029#msg166029

As for economical point operation, consider wire-in-tube.  Here is a thread on this: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19227.msg196658#msg196658

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Old Crow

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 05:14:13 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I can see that you are right. Currently I'm preparing a fairly large space in my spare room but I intend to install and operate a small part of it, in order to get to grips with the technical aspects and the fact that it shall certainly evolve.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 07:53:04 pm »
Welcome to the forum there are plenty of better qualified people than me, who will give you advice.
There were military railways very close to Stonehenge, but that was before hornby 3 rail...

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything