!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: North West England - Modern Image Layout planning  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
Re: North West England - Modern Image Layout planning
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2017, 08:36:15 pm »
If you're looking for an overhead line layout with pantographs that run on the wire, there is one here:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Cleaning the track under the wire isn't a problem using a track cleaning wagon but you do have to be careful around the odd derailment!

Video link here: https://youtu.be/Wz33UVdDr-o
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:40:41 pm by Cooper, Reason: Added link. »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2017, 09:51:41 pm »
If you're looking for an overhead line layout with pantographs that run on the wire, there is one here:

@Cooper
see reply #6 :P :)

Offline Cooper

• N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2017, 09:56:59 pm »

@Cooper
see reply #6 :P :)

Well done that man! Hadn't spotted it going through the thread.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2017, 10:23:12 pm »

Hi Rich,

You asked about couplers.

On Horseley Fields, the club layout of the Northants and Cambs Area Group of the NGS, we use Dapol Easishunt couplers to uncouple and couple wagons in the steel terminal - this is the only shunting carried out in the visible part of the layout.

There are two sidings - one inside the terminal and one outside, and wagons are shunted into both sidings and uncoupled remotely.  The end of the row of flat wagons next to the terminal shows the position of the magnet. 

We can't see the magnet inside the terminal of course, but we have found in exhibition conditions the uncoupling in both sidings to be close to 100% reliable.

The Dapol Easishunt couplers are designed for NEM pockets, so are suitable for nearly all modern models.

Also, I have found a better photo of the points painted by Only Me (Paul) on the layout extension.  This shows it before ballasting was done, so may be more useful.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline NW2017

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2017, 10:48:53 pm »
You asked about couplers.

On Horseley Fields, the club layout of the Northants and Cambs Area Group of the NGS, we use Dapol Easishunt couplers to uncouple and couple wagons in the steel terminal - this is the only shunting carried out in the visible part of the layout.
We can't see the magnet inside the terminal of course, but we have found in exhibition conditions the uncoupling in both sidings to be close to 100% reliable.

The Dapol Easishunt couplers are designed for NEM pockets, so are suitable for nearly all modern models.

Thanks Ben,
Thats really useful. You don't happen to have a closer view of a wagon or loco fitted with the Easi-shunt couplings do you?

Rich

Offline porkie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20857
    • My Layout build so far.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2017, 10:55:00 am »
Hi this sounds like a stunning layout you are planning.  Like it's already been said, nice to see another wcml modeler.
Looking forward to seeing this develop

Phil
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1985 - 2000
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Offline NW2017

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 12:35:46 pm »
Hi this sounds like a stunning layout you are planning.  Like it's already been said, nice to see another wcml modeler.
Looking forward to seeing this develop

Phil

@porkie Thanks for the comment. Your depot looks good and a nice era too!

Rich

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2017, 11:32:44 am »
 :hellosign: Looks a very good space, looking forward to developments
     regards Derek.

Offline NW2017

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2017, 05:31:58 pm »
Derek,
Many thanks for popping in, and your comments. Iím currently debating whether to drop part of the moorland/Fells section and model a very small part of the entrance to Basford Hall Yard, to provide some variety in the operations.

Food for thought I think.

Rich

Offline NW2017

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 12:05:50 am »
Evening all,
Well I cannot get my head around SCARM at all, personally I think Iím missing something as I can work Templot, and my brain says if I can deal with that, SCARM should be easy!

Think it might be back to printed Peco templates and a tape measure!!

Rich

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 09:33:26 am »

Hi Rich

Sorry - just remembered your request for an image of the Dapol easishunt couplers. At the moment I am away, so don't have anything I can easily show you.

Having said that, they basically look like Microtrains buckeye couplers but because they are designed to fit NEM pockets they sit slightly lower and therefore the trip pin is a little shorter...

cheers

Ben A.

Offline porkie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20857
    • My Layout build so far.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 12:04:48 pm »
Not sure if this helps. I found anyrail a great help when designing Milton Grove Tmd. As I was able to print off a full size plan which helped me out no end.
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1985 - 2000
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Offline Vonzack

• N Gauge Society Number: 20933
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 02:24:48 pm »
It may be worth having a look at XTrkCAD too, once you get to grips with it, it's quite an effective app.

Also, if you're looking for pics of Dapol Magnetic Couplings there's a thread running on here you might want to look at - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=33396.0

The topic discusses fitting them to older stock, but very clear pictures of them.

Offline NW2017

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 12:05:48 am »
@Ben A : No problem, I've taken a look at the thread that @Vonzack suggested, and thats answered my questions I think!  I've settled on the Dapol couplings for locos and the outer ends of fixed sets, and both ends of shunted wagons/vehicles.  Couplings in N gauge always seem to stick out like a sore thumb, but I've realised that that is just one of the compromises in modelling, but the Dapol versions do seem to accomplish everything else I'm looking to do!

@porkie & @Vonzack : Thanks to both of you for your help and support - I'll have a look at Anyrail and XTrkCAD.  The ability to print a full size plan could be really useful, especially as I'm fortunate enough to have the size for a 'big' run. 

I've got some rough sketches sorted out now, and because the space is around 11 foot wide, by 19 foot long, there's a lot of potential (and an awful lot of track laying!). I have to say I'm possibly looking at a couple of other options along with the WCML idea, as sitting with the rough sketches running through things in my mind, I'm a little concerned as to whether it has enough 'interest' factor.  There are times I like to recreate the operational side of the railway, which is shunting etc, but other times I like to see things having a run - especially when doing something else like scenics.  So playing around with a couple of options.  The amount of work involved in fitting DCC to a Farish 90 (as @Vonzack commented back on post #11) also concerns me a little, although I guess its possible that other people/companies could undertake that work for me.

I quite like my electronics, and one aspect I want to achieve is block sections, with fully working signalling, all manually controlled from a powerbox style NX panel, so a few different things into the mix.  The one thing I am sure on is that I think N gauge is the best option - the ability to replicate a 32 wagon MGR train for example in a length of 7 foot appeals, because with those kind of dimensions on 2' wide baseboards, the railway can really be made to be part of the landscape (rather than the other way round).

A couple of queries, we've spoken on this thread about grades before now, but what is the minimum (and ideal) radius for curves?  Given the space, things don't need to be tight, so I'm thinking that 36" radius curves (giving a 6' diameter) should allow smooth flowing curves without too much bogie movement - but am I right in that thought?

Also another DCC query for you guys, as your all far more knowledgable than me .. I've learned from wandering around the web that things like the Farish 08 and 20 can be DCC sound fitted, this relatively new MX696 chip from Zimo being so small seem to deal with some issues, but can a small capacitor be fitted to smooth out running, or is there simply not the space?

Rich

Offline NW2017

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2017, 07:44:46 pm »
A couple of queries, we've spoken on this thread about grades before now, but what is the minimum (and ideal) radius for curves?  Given the space, things don't need to be tight, so I'm thinking that 36" radius curves (giving a 6' diameter) should allow smooth flowing curves without too much bogie movement - but am I right in that thought?

I've asked this question previously, but I think I've answered it myself.  Can anyone tell me what 2nd/3rd Radius is in Peco Setrack please?

Richie

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here