!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NJT ALP46 electric  (Read 139 times)

Offline 70000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
NJT ALP46 electric
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:50:23 pm »
Having spent the past week travelling behind quite a few of these........

....is anyone aware of any conversion jobs that have been carried out on N gauge DB class 101 electrics to transform them into the Bombardier New Jersey Transit version?

Looks quite a tempting conversion, though suitable stock to run with them would appear to be more of a problem (without resorting to anything on Shapeways, as I believe the Comet series single deck cars are available on there)

Offline Intercity

• Awards
Re: NJT ALP46 electric
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 02:14:48 pm »
It would be interesting to see how well a conversion would go, RTR is probably a million miles away, there have been cries for an AEM7 from many modelers yet it still seems fruitless, the AEM7 fills in a gap nicely between the GG1, and ACS64 (we have the HHP8 from Bachmann), the ALP46, ALP46A and ALP45DP would be nice additions although used mainly by NJT (AMT in Canada has the dual modes as well)

I currently have access to the last working AEM7s in the country but our new units are in the process of being built so not long left before that book closes.

Sorry I rambled more about other stuff rather than answering your question  :sorrysign:
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 02:42:15 pm »

I currently have access to the last working AEM7s in the country but our new units are in the process of being built so not long left before that book closes.

I saw a couple of the SEPTA ones stabled between the peak hour workings when I was in Philly last Monday, but didn't bother with my usual stint on Temple U station in the afternoon to photograph some of them.

I'm surprised nobody has done an AEM7 (and its variants) in N as well, given their use by Amtrak, MARC, SEPTA & NJT. I know there was an HO version produced, but that appears to be unavailable now.
The Bachmann HHP-8 models seem to be out of production (Kleins in Baltimore were selling them off very cheap a few years back) and even the Acela models appear thin on the ground - other than in train set packs.
Still haven't got round to bying a Kato ACS 64 yet though.....

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 03:00:16 pm »
Having spent the past week travelling behind quite a few of these........

....is anyone aware of any conversion jobs that have been carried out on N gauge DB class 101 electrics to transform them into the Bombardier New Jersey Transit version?

Looks quite a tempting conversion, though suitable stock to run with them would appear to be more of a problem (without resorting to anything on Shapeways, as I believe the Comet series single deck cars are available on there)

Can't help, but just wanted to say look at those catenary masts  :goggleeyes:
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:12:01 pm »

Can't help, but just wanted to say look at those catenary masts  :goggleeyes:

The ones in New Brunswick are rather OTT, even for the rather generous style of the PRR gantries....

They appear to have had an extension added (where the colour of the masts change) above the original catenary/power transmission line masts for even more transmission lines !

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 03:40:51 pm »
They appear to have had an extension added (where the colour of the masts change) above the original catenary/power transmission line masts for even more transmission lines !

I bet they were like "Yo dawg we heard you like catenary masts so we put catenary masts atop of your catenary masts with extra catenary masts:goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:41:54 pm by railsquid »
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 03:58:56 pm »
They "rent" the tops of the masts to the electric companies, those high voltage wires at the very top are high voltage transmission lines owned by electric companies such as PECO, PSEG among others, if you look closely you can see the joins where the masts were extended, I'm not exactly certain but I think they are 220Kv wires at 60Htz, there are also railroad supply lines slightly under those that are also high voltage and running to the substations for step down to useable voltage, and below that on the regular mast is the familiar catenary that we can't model properly in N Gauge!!!
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything