!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Vancouver shop?  (Read 204 times)

Offline bbdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Vancouver shop?
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:13:55 pm »
Hi my dad's off to White rock near Vancouver in a couple of weeks and he's interested in finding an n gauge train shop are there any reccomendations if there are any to visit?.

Dave

Offline Jon898

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Vancouver shop?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 09:24:25 pm »
I'm several thousand miles away, but you might want to check out these links:

http://vancouvertraingang.ca/d7/node/9

and

http://modeltraingeek.com/model-train-stores/vancouver-train-stores (the text says Montreal, but the locations are actually in BC)

and

http://www.caorm.org/hobbyshops_pacific.html

Can't endorse any, but Central Hobbies seems to come up often.

Jon

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 02:03:33 am »
Dave

It happens that Pacific Western Rail Systems is located in Surrey right next door to White Rock. They are one of the major web suppliers of N and HO scale in Canada if not in North America. PWRS is not really set up as a retail shop, but they do have premises that allow you to look at more N scale stuff than you can dream of. I visited them less than two weeks ago during my recent visit to Canada and had a most enjoyable chat and a cup of coffee with the president Dan Huberman. Mind you, I estimate that I have bought 75% of all my railway stuff from them over the last 10 years. Look up Pacific Western Rail Systems on Google and you'll get the goods on them.

White Rock is a nice little town by Boundary Bay. Even better a BNSF railway line runs right along the main street. I stayed there with my nephew for a night and was treated to the passage of two coal trains, a mixed freight, and two Amtrack passenger trains.

Webbo

Offline bbdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 07:56:56 am »
Thanks i have passed the info. onto dad and he's arranged a visit to PWRS and there is a model show while he's over so he'll be visiting that. Thanks for the info guys.

Dave

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 12:34:27 am »
Dave

I'm glad to hear that your dad has set up a visit with PWRS. The president (Dan Huberman), whom he will likely meet, is a very interesting person and has a lot to say about the current state of model railroading from the sales and manufacturing perspectives. The hobby has certainly changed a lot in these respects since I started in N scale.

I hope he has a great time visiting Canada - and am interested in hearing how he gets on at PWRS.

Webbo

Offline anaes20

• N Gauge Society Number: 20766
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 08:38:38 pm »
It is a bit late I know as I have not been on the boards for a bit.  I can nonetheless strongly recommend Central Hobbies on Grandview Highway as a great shop for N scale trains, especially Canadian.  The range of stock they carry is enormous and the staff are very friendly and helpful, always up for a chat about things.  They also have an N scale layout in store.  The main line into Pacific Central Station runs just alongside so you can also do some railfanning in the area.  Even better yet, you can take the SkyTrain to Renfrew station and walk to the shop, crossing the main line.  It's a must do if you are in Vancouver and love model trains.

Omar / anaes20.

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 08:55:57 pm »
No idea if it is still trading but there was certainly a model railway shop in Vancouver in 2002 - we were there on a trip[ on the Canadian to celebrate our Silver Wedding.  I had its details but saw it as we drove along that main street past the gas clock.  As soon as we walked in and bade good morning, the lady in charge asked what part of the London area we came from, speaking with a South of London accent!  I purchased a CP loco and a wagon.  Her late husband had started the business when they emigrated there.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 09:18:37 pm »
No idea if it is still trading but there was certainly a model railway shop in Vancouver in 2002 - we were there on a trip[ on the Canadian to celebrate our Silver Wedding.  I had its details but saw it as we drove along that main street past the gas clock.  As soon as we walked in and bade good morning, the lady in charge asked what part of the London area we came from, speaking with a South of London accent!  I purchased a CP loco and a wagon.  Her late husband had started the business when they emigrated there.

I remember this shop as Railway World in the part of Vancouver called Gastown. I was in Vancouver a couple of months ago, but sadly there was no sign of the shop then.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here