!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Long Valley Branch  (Read 338 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Long Valley Branch
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 09:44:09 pm »
Rich

Welcome to the Forum and that's a very nice layout you have built.  I hope you post more photographs in the future.

With regard to the 'Fireman's side', it appears that the US railroads were more consistent than the UK ones.

Over here, it could be either side according to the railway company or Locomotive Superintendent!

Having tried both sides, I prefer to drive from the left and fire from the right.  And I'm right-handed!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 11:25:55 pm »
Rich

Welcome to the Forum and that's a very nice layout you have built.  I hope you post more photographs in the future.

With regard to the 'Fireman's side', it appears that the US railroads were more consistent than the UK ones.

Over here, it could be either side according to the railway company or Locomotive Superintendent!

Having tried both sides, I prefer to drive from the left and fire from the right.  And I'm right-handed!

Best wishes.

John

Hi John, Thank you with the warm welcome and the additional information about locomotives in the UK. After watching several videos I had wondered which side of the cab the fireman and engine driver sat on? Here in the States, 99% of all railroads had / have right hand running so the engineer (train driver) can see the signals located along the railroad right of way. Are there any times in the UK when you have right hand running but the engine driver is on the left side of the cab? and does this cause issues with the engine driver being able to properly see the signals along the right of way?

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 09:41:44 am »
Are there any times in the UK when you have right hand running but the engine driver is on the left side of the cab? and does this cause issues with the engine driver being able to properly see the signals along the right of way?

Hello Rich

That's a good question!

British Railways historically run on the left on double track, not on the right.  In recent times bi-directional running has been introduced in certain locations.  In some historical cases, what looked like a double track was actually two separate single tracks, normally owned by different companies.  Perhaps other members of the Forum will provide further interesting exceptions to the general left-hand running rule.

I can't think of any instance of right-hand running with the driver on the left, on conventional double track in steam days (say until the mid 1960s), so, hopefully, that's my answer to your question.

What there was a lot of was left-hand running with the driver on the right!  The best known example is the former Great Western Railway which located its signals with this in mind.  This meant that signal sighting from a locomotive with the driver on the left could be difficult.  Here's a couple of other examples far from Great Western territory:

On the former North British Railway routes of the post-1923 LNER, the driver was on the left (in the Drummond family tradition).  When the LNER introduced the D11/2 'Scottish Director' 4-40s, of basically Great Central Railway design, with the driver on the right, there was consternation.  The LNER later standardised on left-hand drive which included converting some Gresley 'Pacifics', built as right-hand drive, to left hand.  That's why the reversing rod on some locomotives switched sides during their time in service.

On the former Glasgow & South Western Railway, right-hand drive was the norm during the Stirling and Manson years.  Then Peter Drummond was appointed as Locomotive Superintendent and the driver was on the left in his designs.  The drivers were not happy!

Much of what was preferred was probably based on what the drivers were used to.  It's fair to say that the typical platform on a double track line, or a single track line with passing loops was (and is) on the left.  Therefore, left-hand drive normally made it easier for the driver to see the guard.  Obviously, the opposite applies in the case of island platforms.

I understand that most firemen, being right-handed, prefer to fire from the left which means that they prefer the driver on the right-hand side!

I hope this helps.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 10:27:03 am »
I prefer to drive from the left and fire from the right.  And I'm right-handed!

Presumably you're a better shot that way round, John ;D

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 01:51:52 pm »
I also want to add my admiration for your layout Rich.  It looks great!  You've managed to get a lot on there with regard to the industries you can switch.  Very nice!

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here