!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Long Valley Branch  (Read 337 times)

Offline Rich_S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Long Valley Branch
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:53:01 pm »
Hello Everyone, Being an apartment dweller without an empty closet (Hi Dats) I only have room for a 24" x 80" Hollow Core Door layout. The name of my layout is the Long Valley Branch. It is a fictional branch line that serves the town of Long Valley. Along the branch line is an active interchange with another railroad and a coal loader. The town of Long Valley features a box manufacturer, a Medusa Cement storage facility and a steel fabricating company. My primary prototype railroad interest is the Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway. I also follow the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie railroad, Conrail, Ann Arbor, Lehigh & Hudson River, The Southern Railway and the Western Maryland Railway.
Now some photos of my layout, which is still a work in progress.

Here is a basic track plan of my layout

Poorly aligned panoramic view of my layout, but hopefully everyone will get the general idea.

A Photo of my P&WV FM H16-44 working Medusa Cement. This is a Bachmann model, that I custom painted, decaled and added Micro-Trains couplers.

Another view of the #90 showing the fireman's side of the locomotive.

Another overall view of my layout.

From time to time many different types of locomotives see service on the Long Valley branch.

Thank you for looking, more to come.

Cheers,
Rich S.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Long Valley Branch
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 11:56:31 pm »
G'day from Australia, Rich, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

That's a fine looking layout you have there!   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Evans

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:41:00 am »
Thanks for the pictures, it's always great to see other people's pride and joys in the train layout world  :)
Chris

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 12:43:03 am »
Rich, Just superb!!
Usually close up pictures reveal some roughness on a layout.
Especially our small N world.
But your layout is just nicely executed.
All I can see is very natural scene everywhere, even on zoomed in photos.
Your ballast and track work are just stunning!!
I also impressed how effectively used both sides of the layout!!
I think you achieved the best track arrangement for giving space!!
How can you do it so well?
Nice engines too!

I'm glad that you started a thread here, Rich.
Now please show us (mostly for me) detailed tour on your layout, section by section and a lot more!!

Dats

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 02:05:36 am »
Hi Rich,

Great looking layout. Thanks for sharing.

You've probably seen their posts on other layouts but just to warn you that the 'track too close to front without some sort of protection' brigade will be waking up in about 5/6 hours time and may get on your case  ;)

Forgetting them, I agree with everything Dats has said.

Super stuff and looking forward to more.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 02:13:59 am »
Rich

I too much like your layout. It is well executed and nicely laid out. Even though it is not big, it has an uncluttered look and  has an arrangement of businesses and industries that could easily be real.

To add to what Weave has said, for some, running track in straight lines parallel to the baseboard edge is a sin. Personally, I don't have a problem with it as real railways tend to lay tracks in straight lines where possible and having a track close to the edge does allow you to get up close at eye level to a train running by. Of course the risk of locos taking a flying leap off the edge is there. 

Webbo

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 02:27:06 am »

You've probably seen their posts on other layouts but just to warn you that the 'track too close to front without some sort of protection' brigade will be waking up in about 5/6 hours time and may get on your case  ;)

Wonder who that could be  :hmmm:

Let me guess.... forum name start with N?  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:02:57 am »
If folks want to risk their prized rolling stock then it's their decision. I just know I wouldn't :nerner:

Welcome to the forum, Rich, and thanks for the pics of your very good looking layout.
Gotta love those steamers! :heart2:

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 10:13:35 am »
Hi Rich,

Welcome and I love the pics.  Just wondering what the "Fireman's side" of the loco is?

Graham.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 10:48:05 am »
Not very knowledgable about North American railwaysroads myself, but that's a fine looking layout for a small space. The repaint job on the loco is excellent.

Cheers,

Chris
Sometimes I sits and thinks. Sometimes I just sits.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 11:32:42 pm »
Hi Rich,

Welcome and I love the pics.  Just wondering what the "Fireman's side" of the loco is?

Graham.

Hi Graham, Here in North America, the locomotive engineer (you would call him the train driver) sits on the right side of the locomotive cab and the fireman's controls on a steam locomotive were on the left side of the locomotive cab. When the railroads dieselized, the fireman position was not eliminated because you had to hold the rank of fireman for x number of years, depending on the railroad, before you were promoted to engineer. Sometime during the mid 1970's, they began calling fireman, apprentice engineers. Today the position has been eliminated and new hires on the railroad start off as freight train conductors. For most of us old timers, the left side of the cab will always be known as the fireman's side of the cab, to the younger generation it's known as the conductor's side of the cab.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 11:36:28 pm »
If folks want to risk their prized rolling stock then it's their decision. I just know I wouldn't :nerner:

Welcome to the forum, Rich, and thanks for the pics of your very good looking layout.
Gotta love those steamers! :heart2:

Thank you all for your kind comments on my layout and the warm welcome.  :thumbsup:

Newportnobby, rest assured my branch line is a slow speed operation, plus the room is carpeted. To date, no trains have been harmed during the operation of my layout  :smiley-laughing:

Cheers,
Rich S.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 11:39:34 pm »
Not very knowledgable about North American railwaysroads myself, but that's a fine looking layout for a small space. The repaint job on the loco is excellent.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris, You bring up an interesting point, here in the states both terms are used by the different companies. For instance, my models are of the Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway. But the other hometown line I model is the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad.

Cheers,
Rich S.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 11:45:18 pm »

I'm glad that you started a thread here, Rich.
Now please show us (mostly for me) detailed tour on your layout, section by section and a lot more!!

Dats

Hi Dats, You are too kind, thank you for the nice compliments on the layout. I must admit the coal loading tipple and interchange track side of the layout is still mostly unfinished. As I progress on that side (remember my other hobby - staring at my computer screen is winning out over my model railroading hobby  :laugh: )  I'll be sure to post update photos  :)

Cheers,
Rich S.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Dr. John

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 09:30:13 pm »
Great looking layout! Hollow core doors work well in N scale. I built a 30" x 80" N scale layout back in the 90's and had a lot of fun with it.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here