!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 625 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Tiree
« on: September 18, 2017, 09:17:19 pm »
Good evening, this is the start of an occasional thread, of my layout Tiree.

This layout was built into a room in the upstairs of a cottage on Tiree in the inner Hebrides  by a Mr D.H.Clarke. When he died it came to his sister in Norfolk, and then Mr Harry Nudd a member of Broadland MRC bought the layout. When I joined ( rejoined) the club I became involved sorting the electronics of this layout.
Sadly almost two years later Harry died, I offered to buy the layout from Harry's widow as her interest is London overground,  she has generously has given this layout to me.

So this layout is now dedicated to the memories of Mr D.H. Clarke, and Mr Harry Nudd.

Hopefully below are a selection of pictures given to me by Harry's widow Hazel, taken of the layout when it first arrived in the club house. They were not taken for display but to show where every thing fitted.

There are several more pictures to follow once I've got the hang of posting them...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:25:03 am by The Q »

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:33:19 am »
This looks like it could be a very interesting thread.  I look forward to more pictures.  Further info would also be appreciated, like a track plan and details of the electronics.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 08:24:10 am »
Yes more pictures and some details of the electronics will be forth coming, there are about a dozen "as arrived" and a couple of the scenic work  / rebuild I have been doing..

Unfortunately My home computer which is windows 10 has taken a dislike to the N gauge forum and will not allow me to post pictures, so yesterdays pictures were downloaded from the email I received them on, onto the main computer. From there to the Network disk drive on the router, and from there to my Tablet computer. Once in the tablet I found the N gauge forum didn't at first find the pictures, but found lots of stuff I thought were deleted and according to the tablet are deleted..?!! Eventually I sorted that out and got those posted yesterday, very late for me...

As for a track plan I'll have to draw that up, one as was, and then as I intend it to be. So it may be sometime.

Back to the layout.

When I came to it, the entire undersides were covered in circuit boards, but nothing worked. There were however two A4 ring binders  of documentation. Wading through them it became clear that the layout had gone through several generations of electronics, and at the time of His Passing Mr Clarke was in the process of converting to DCC. At one time all those PCBs on the underneath of the layout had been in a separate box on the floor.

There were 11 power supplies in two control panels, every time he needed another supply he added another transformer and regulator. Also every supply to the layout had it's own negative rail none were tied together, which must have caused some interesting side effects.
So the first thing was to rationalise PSUs. I eventually got that down to 3 PSU's, (plus a DCC controller) and one control panel.

Then it came to the point motor system, it is a 5v switch on the control panel going to a PCB on which there may be up to 5 individual CDUs one per point motor. but if I pressed a switch then a point motor somewhere on the layout might move, but not the one indicated. I found out someone else had, had a play trying to get the layout to work. After much rewiring I got the right point to move with the right switch.

During this I removed many boards, track sensing had been incorporated in Mr Clarkes work, tying in points and signals. Unless you got everything right nothing moved.

We then exhibited the layout at the club open day and it worked well, but there are some odd
 "navigational problems"

After that show Harry decided to start rebuilding the layout for proper exhibition use, as it was only built to be used at home. He then discovered the scenery was built from layers of a Sundela like material, no wonder it was so heavy!! Harry spent some time sawing away many layers, and then replacing them with polystyrene.

He also wanted the layouts 2 main boards and upper sub-board cut into 6 pieces so it would fit into their car.  This required some rewiring and I found some wires were wandering all over each board coming back to near where they started. I also used the opportunity to rationalise all those extra negative rail wires down to the minimum required. After checking it still ran ok, I cut the rails where required, Harry inserted the necessary extra bracing, cut the boards and started working on replacement legs..

Sadly at that point Harry left us.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:18:51 am »
Sounds like you have your work cut out sorting a few things but glad progress is being made.
Nice of you to dedicate the layout to Mr. Clarke and Mr. Nudd (for some reason the name Harry Nudd is ringing a bell in my memory bank :hmmm:)
More pics will be nice but that is a convoluted route to get them onto the forum! :o

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:54:00 am »
Sad and poignant story, pleased to hear that the layout will live on in the memory of these two gentlemen.  Your story about trying to fathom out the wiring sounds a bit like me when I need to work out an excel spreadsheet built by someone else!  Also a timely reminder to keep an up to date wiring diagram for my layout!

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 12:14:50 pm »
It's unlikely you'll have come across Harry, a proper Norfolk Marshman he was, working all his life around the Norfolk Broads.

As for Excel Spreadsheets I have currently 7 up on the computer down from 14 a couple of minutes ago, I'm waiting for a resistor value to settle, so I can import the value into 6 Spreadsheets and then see if the graphs work out OK. Once the standard deviation gets below 1ppm then I can take the reading...

Ah... 0.6ppm

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 08:25:07 pm »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 08:28:37 pm »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 08:30:05 pm »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 08:31:30 pm »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 08:32:41 pm »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 08:34:00 pm »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 08:42:05 pm »
And finally two photos after I've been getting at the layout, further layers of Sundela have been chiselled away and replaced by polystyrene coated with J cloth/ polyfilla mixed with PVA and water.
You can see the back scene board and behind that the back board which provides some of the box for the layout.
On the front is a hinged down board with a lift out section so it can close. I'll try to get a photo of that so you can see what I mean.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:49:20 pm by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 09:00:49 pm »
And now a pretty picture of Scarinish on Tiree.

As you can see there never was a chance of a railway there but I hope to get the scenery looking a bit more like Tiree.

And a picture of the abandoned radar building which is on the hill behind Scarinish. ( To the left of the pretty picture)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:01:54 pm by The Q »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here