!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Warrington Bank Quayish  (Read 840 times)

Offline voltan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23753
    • Awards
Re: Warrington Bank Quayish
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 02:47:08 pm »
Last night while watching some terrible Norsk comedy TV I started making a few trees using the twisted wire and liquid latex method, I have come to the conclusion that while it is quite fun to do, I need a lot of practice at it before I think I make ones of a decent enough standard for on the layout, below is a picture of the trees with the latex still drying and one which is primed ready to start the painting of it.

I've been making a lot of trees like that myself recently, though for wargaming rather than my railway, but I will make some smaller ones for that eventually, it's very relaxing.  Hardest thing I've found is learning when to stop twisting so the branches and trunk don't end up too long.

Offline KiraKat

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »
Yes that is what I found, it is far too easy to zone out and just keep twisting and end up with no branches  :laugh:

Offline KiraKat

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 01:12:53 am »
Update 4.

It seems that the insulation that I bought was far too thick to be useful so I spent a couple of days pondering and have managed with the help of my father in-law to create a reliable way of slicing them in half length ways.

later today will see me cutting them to shape, but now I should really sleep!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 09:16:59 am »
Great trees in the making there - like the innovative solution to cutting the insulation - is it a hot wire rig up?

Don't know the area at all, but look forward to seeing your layout progress

Offline KiraKat

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 11:50:47 am »
Great trees in the making there - like the innovative solution to cutting the insulation - is it a hot wire rig up?

Don't know the area at all, but look forward to seeing your layout progress

Hi Milton, Thanks! It is indeed a hot wire rig, using a heavy duty battery charger, wire and some other bits and pieces we had laying around, it worked much better than we both thought it would!
I love getting updates on Perthshire its already a great layout and enjoying seeing it progress too!

Offline KiraKat

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 08:10:07 pm »
Update 5.

The last week has gone slowly for modelling due to being busy with other unavoidable tasks, however all the foam has now been cut to both the right thickness and rough shape

You can see where the lower track section will run, in the next few days I will be cutting out and lowering the baseboard around there so it is even lower.

And I have even glued down the first two pieces of foam just ten minutes before I wrote this and have assorted to using anything that was not bolted down and heavy in the surrounding area to try and weigh it down, time will tell on how well the glue works as I've never attempted to glue foam before apart from a few trials over the last couple of days.

If all goes well I hope to start laying the track in the week or maybe next weekend depending on how the glue works out, also on the topic of track I need to find somewhere else that stocks Peco code 55 as Hattons don't even list the wooden sleeper flexi track anymore on their website and in Norway the cheapest I can find is near £200 for a box of 30 which blows my budget massively!

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 08:26:58 pm »
Hi Kirakat,

All looking good. Sorry can't help with the Peco track as only know about Kato Unitrack but sure someone else can help.

Good luck with the sticking. Pity you drink so much Captain Morgan (or whatever it is) as you could of had a bit more weight  :D.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline KiraKat

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 08:38:17 pm »
Hi Kirakat,

All looking good. Sorry can't help with the Peco track as only know about Kato Unitrack but sure someone else can help.

Good luck with the sticking. Pity you drink so much Captain Morgan (or whatever it is) as you could of had a bit more weight  :D.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Hi Weave,

It is indeed Captain Morgans and while the extra weight may been useful, I'm not brave enough to tell the wife she can't have any  :P

Offline ColinH

• N Gauge Society Number: 24448
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 09:09:59 pm »

If all goes well I hope to start laying the track in the week or maybe next weekend depending on how the glue works out, also on the topic of track I need to find somewhere else that stocks Peco code 55 as Hattons don't even list the wooden sleeper flexi track anymore on their website and in Norway the cheapest I can find is near £200 for a box of 30 which blows my budget massively!

Try 2kTechnologies http://www.2ktechnologies.com/  they appear to be only listing concrete sleeper as well at £4 per length but I bought 30 lengths of wooden sleeper from them last year at much less than that. A very well stocked shop an email to them would not harm.

Interested in seeing this develop as my daughter lives in Warrington and I am slightly familiar with the station, spent a very sleepless night back in 1997 listening to BR relaying the station trackwork. :'(
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 09:22:20 pm »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 09:54:43 pm »
Surely for a modern layout you need concrete anyway for the vast majority?

A few places seem to not have wooden sleeper, I wonder if itís because of the disproportionate cost of shipping.

Offline KiraKat

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 10:42:15 pm »
Many thanks for the links guys! I have some options to explore now.

Interested in seeing this develop as my daughter lives in Warrington and I am slightly familiar with the station, spent a very sleepless night back in 1997 listening to BR relaying the station trackwork. :'(

Hi Colin, I know the feeling I was caught there over night in my teens due to missing the last train although I cant remember any trackworks being done when I was there!

Surely for a modern layout you need concrete anyway for the vast majority?

A few places seem to not have wooden sleeper, I wonder if itís because of the disproportionate cost of shipping.

Hi Njee, thanks for pointing that out for me, I don't know why but I thought WBQ has alot more concrete track than I thought! I guess I should find some of the concrete sleeper track instead!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:46:10 pm by KiraKat »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here