!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Warrington Bank Quayish  (Read 841 times)

Offline KiraKat

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Warrington Bank Quayish
« on: September 14, 2017, 04:58:39 pm »
I thought it was about time I made my first proper post about my new layout, it is going to be based upon Warrington Bank Quay, although time will tell how an exact copy of the station and surrounding area it will become.

the layout will be 4.4 metre by 1 metre in size consisting of 3 individual baseboards so that it can be moved or stored away, currently all three boards have been made and I'm working on making the legs for each one, I also need to decide if I am going to have the station section raised as it is with the prototype, I'm unsure if my rather rudimentary carpentry skills are up to the task! Below you can see the current state of the base boards, they need a bit of sanding but otherwise im pretty happy with my first bit of woodwork in more than 10 years!

Below is the current track plan, it will possibly change in the coming weeks as I'm not happy with the current fiddle yard but it is using points that I already own and can't find another use for currently.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone with pictures or information of the surrounding area could link them to me, being nearly 700 miles away in a different country hampers my ability to get a lot of the details of the station today accurate!

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Warrington Bank Quayish
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 05:25:27 pm »
Looks good! There's a thread on RMWeb here from someone doing the northern end in OO, some photos in there that may be of relevance.

Offline KiraKat

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 05:33:59 pm »
Oooh I shall have to look at that, thanks for the info!

Offline chris86200

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 05:40:28 pm »
hi kirakat

The station consists of two island platforms.Passengers enter the station at street level through a functional modern entrance containing an information office and ticket office, and proceed through a subway, reaching the elevated platforms by stairs or a lift. There is a buffet on the eastern platform.

Platform 1 is serves arrivals and departures to Liverpool Lime Street with this service terminating at the platform, and occasionally for North Wales services.

Platform 2 is generally used for North Wales services, and southbound services to Birmingham New Street and London Euston.

Platform 3 serves northbound trains to Edinburgh and Glasgow Central. Platform 4 for services from North Wales to Manchester.

The station's best known landmark is the huge Unilever detergent manufacturing plant which stands overlooking the site. Warrington Bank Quay is the town's WCML station, situated next to a giant soap works and slightly to the north of Arpley yard. part of the station bridges the 'Low Level Line' used to take coal to Fiddlers Ferry Power Station. i like the plan

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 07:00:58 pm »
I pass the station each week when I go to the club, so I will watch this layout develop with interest

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 11:17:52 pm »
good luck!

what era is it?

there is a train dvd called 'this is Warrington bank quay 1987-2008' so if that's your era I would buy it!  I've only seen it advertised by the way so no idea what it's like.

Tim

Offline KiraKat

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:21:15 pm »
good luck!

what era is it?

there is a train dvd called 'this is Warrington bank quay 1987-2008' so if that's your era I would buy it!  I've only seen it advertised by the way so no idea what it's like.

Tim

It is set around present day, although I have some older stock that will run on  a rule 1 basis! And thanks for the info I will look to see if i can find it online somewhere.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 12:01:27 am »
Hi,

Looking forward to the build.

Hope this helps....

http://www.videoscene.co.uk/this-is-warrington-bank-quay-1987-2008.html

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline simonprelude

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 12:40:24 pm »
Warrington Bank Quay is one of the stations I've always thought about doing but mainly for the variety you have there with the depot on the lower line; maybe you could work that in later?

It's the only place I ever saw class 20's working in pairs (apart from top and tailing the weedkiller trains) so always holds a special memory.

Offline KiraKat

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 01:42:46 pm »
Warrington Bank Quay is one of the stations I've always thought about doing but mainly for the variety you have there with the depot on the lower line; maybe you could work that in later?

It's the only place I ever saw class 20's working in pairs (apart from top and tailing the weedkiller trains) so always holds a special memory.

That was the idea, but im going to have to wait until I find a bigger place to live to be able to expand this as this thing already takes up a big chunk of the room!

Offline chris86200

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 02:05:32 pm »
i have memories of seeing the arpley yard on the right which is the fiddle yard at the top. arpley could be seen on the right coming in from the london / crewe direction. if one turned right outside the station front by the taxi rank and followed the road down to the B and Q store this was wehere one found a sweeping ben into a stabling point and the palisade high fencing. you could see pairs of class 20s on the latchford branch reversing mgr hoppers.

the latchford line went under the station to fiddlers ferry / croddfields / and the uilever
HOWEVER, Arpley Junction is adjacent to Warrington Bank Quay Station, but is located on the goods line that passes beneath. The line used to continue to Manchester but due to structural damage on a bridge over the Ship Canal, it was truncated at Latchford Sidings in the 1980s, just past Arpley Junction to the east.

The main freight passing beneath Warrington station are coal trains to Fiddlers Ferry Power Station. These follow a complex route from Liverpool Docks. Most workings reverse at Edge Hill, before proceeding via Rainhill and Earlestown and through Bank Quay station. They then run round in Arpley Yards, before passing Arpley Junction to Latchford Sidings. They then run round again to pass Arpley once more to head to Fiddlers Ferry.

Occasionally they can be routed via Widnes to Liverpool instead of via the reverse of the above route, which will entail them exiting Fiddlers Ferry, passing Arpley Junction to Latchford, running round and heading back past Arpley and Fiddlers Ferry to Speke. Generally a train will take 30-40 minutes between passing through Bank Quay on the main line to heading under the station to Fiddlers Ferry. They will take about 90-120 minutes then to return.

Other freight trains also use Latchford Sidings to reverse when Arpley Yard is busy.

Offline KiraKat

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 03:38:21 pm »
Update time!

I've not been able to work that much on the layout lately due to illness, but I have managed to get some stuff done in the last few days, for the first time the layout has been put up on its recently made legs (which still need to be painted) the base boards have been smoothed with filler and sanded and then painted.

I have laid out the printed track plan out on the base boards and is starting to give a scale on how big its all going to be.

In the next few days I'm going to cut in the lower section for the tracks that pass under the station, I only remembered I needed to do it after I placed the track plan on the boards...
I'm also planning on getting the rest of the track I need I currently have only around 70% of what I require along with other needed items.

Hopefully I will be able to do more frequent updates now the boards are built!

Until next time!

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 03:48:59 pm »
Hi Kira

Given I've spent so much time at Bank Quay I thought I would have more photos (I'm sure I do - just a question of where I have saved them!) but here are a few online: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ukrail/albums/72157631921391161

HTH, Mike

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 08:18:47 pm »
I don't wish to rain on your parade but I have grave doubts you'll be able to access all lines in the fiddle yard once the backscene is up :worried:
A certain law dictates that's where something will derail or grind to a halt for some reason :uneasy:

Offline KiraKat

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 12:55:49 pm »
Update 3!

Hi Kira

Given I've spent so much time at Bank Quay I thought I would have more photos (I'm sure I do - just a question of where I have saved them!) but here are a few online: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ukrail/albums/72157631921391161

HTH, Mike

Thanks for the pictures Mike, I've downloaded them and put them in my small library of photos of WBQ for research! I can't wait to get my Pendo from you guys and have it running on hear!

I don't wish to rain on your parade but I have grave doubts you'll be able to access all lines in the fiddle yard once the backscene is up :worried:
A certain law dictates that's where something will derail or grind to a halt for some reason :uneasy:

Thanks for bringing that up Nobby I must admit the thought never crossed my mind I will have to have a think on this problem, this is my first layout in 10 years + and my previous one did not have a back scene or fiddle yard a lot of things have changed since then!

Last night while watching some terrible Norsk comedy TV I started making a few trees using the twisted wire and liquid latex method, I have come to the conclusion that while it is quite fun to do, I need a lot of practice at it before I think I make ones of a decent enough standard for on the layout, below is a picture of the trees with the latex still drying and one which is primed ready to start the painting of it.

I also have taken my rolling stock out to look for things that might need fixing since they have spent the last couple of months in less than ideal storage after moving houses, luckily everything is fine except for a few detail parts needing to be reattached (the 91 is being converted to DCC thus the missing chassis)
A few pics of the assembled fleet.

And my current favorite train, a dapol Voyager I converted to represent the project Thor which sadly never happened.

The plan for the rest of the day is to start marking out and cutting the polystyrene insulation that i will be using to recreate the raised surface of the track, and having a go at some more trees!

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here