!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Making a fresh start  (Read 822 times)

Offline Kaian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26669
    • Awards
Re: Making a fresh start
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 11:12:05 pm »
This does look like an interest challenge, I think the dc wiring for the big bundle of points might be a nightmare, but I have only done dcc wiring so can't start to think how dc would work over that. Re you using electrofrog points?
Craig

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 09:47:50 am »
This does look like an interest challenge, I think the dc wiring for the big bundle of points might be a nightmare, but I have only done dcc wiring so can't start to think how dc would work over that. Re you using electrofrog points?

DC will be fine with the correctly placed insulated joiners, a few switches and a little bit of cab control...  To be fair I've not looked at the electrical side yet to any of the plans I've come up with, so they may get simplified if things get too complicated.  That said my previous attempts have all been single track with a station as a passing place or single track  ending at a terminus.

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 01:04:01 pm »
 :hellosign:
Here is another take on the dog-bone principle.  I've taken out the left hand drop down board and gone with something more conventional and moved the return loops over to the right hand side.  This will make life a little easier, without needing to deal with the drop down section in the doorway.  With the return loop now on a permanent board there is scope to hold a train at that end if desired In fact I could include a third loop using 9 inch radius curves.  One of the reasons for the dog-bone idea is to minimise handling of the stock and another to accommodate a couple of impending new arrivals.  I have a couple of CJM class 50's on order that will have front end detailing and the dog-bone idea means the loco's will not need to be turned.  Another use of the dog-bone also gives 20 trains to circulate rather than 10 on the outer circuit and 10 on the inner circuit.  The trains can go down to the end of the line and return later.  The thinking at the moment is that this is the penultimate station on the line and that the return loop at the bottom right would represent the terminus.  Nelly representing the rest of the line / network.  I'm thinking that the outward journey from the Nelly can be disguised by removable landscape of some sort, something to cover the loop and a removable low relief scene in front the long straight run in front of Nelly.  This will allow access for track cleaning and recovering the inevitable derailments that will happen once access is blocked...  The stabling point is pretty much a rule one feature.
John

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 02:34:23 pm »
Yup. That works, and I can see lots of operating potential with that :thumbsup:

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 04:12:13 pm »
Thanks Mick, I have to say it is growing on me.  There are a few compromises in it but nothing that I can't live with.  Operationally I feel I may have got what I want.  It has taken a lot of time, a lot of  :censored: and :veryangry: but, I think I may be there now!
 :bounce:  John

Offline georgehgv

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 05:04:41 pm »
John, a word of warning, try and use Nelevator as a storage siding rather than through lines. I didn't and since altered mine and it is now much improved. Have a look at my layout thread there are some similarities with your plan. I am moving shortly and working on an extended section to the left similar again to your original plan by the door. I have to trim 400mm off my existing layout to fit the new room but can see vast improvements on the horizon. I will try and post a proposed plan on my thread later. Good luck with it all.
Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from Geominster this is the new project.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

The original layout progress here
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18319.msg184399#msg184399

Visit my new website here
http://georgehgv.wix.com/geominster

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 05:32:30 pm »
Hi George, under normal operating I wouldn't have the same train running around in circles.  However you raise a valid point and I witnessed at least one derailment with a train departing from the Nelevator at their display at TINGS.  That said of course the display is a temporary set up so is subject to the disruption of being moved around and needing some tweaking to it's settings.  There will be times when I may just have a train continuously running round for the fun of it.  I'm intending to remain with conventional DC control as well.  Time to revisit the plan and make a slight adjustment!
I'm looking forward to seeing your revisions for your new home, when you have got yourself settled in. 
John

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 06:06:53 pm »
That looks like a very interesting plan.

I note that you are going to use DC control, as I do.  I sort of semi-understand it (on a good day)!

The trailing crossover at the left hand side of the station has the potential, I think, to create a reversing loop which will presumably need cunning electrical work.  Maybe I'm havering (Anglice: talking nonsense) and I'm sure wiser counsels than me will help if required.

Best wishes for what looks like a super layout with lots of train watching potential.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline georgehgv

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 06:13:35 pm »
Should be ok with insulfrog points, no issue with my crossovers.
Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from Geominster this is the new project.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

The original layout progress here
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18319.msg184399#msg184399

Visit my new website here
http://georgehgv.wix.com/geominster

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 06:19:19 pm »
That looks like a very interesting plan.

I note that you are going to use DC control, as I do.  I sort of semi-understand it (on a good day)!

The trailing crossover at the left hand side of the station has the potential, I think, to create a reversing loop which will presumably need cunning electrical work.  Maybe I'm havering (Anglice: talking nonsense) and I'm sure wiser counsels than me will help if required.

Best wishes for what looks like a super layout with lots of train watching potential.

John
Thanks John,
The trailing Crossover shouldn't be too much of an issue.  Insulated joiners and a bit of cab control should keep things in order.
John

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 07:05:34 pm »
Following the tip from George, here is a slightly revised plan that allows for a train to run continuously without the need to run through "Nelly".  It works in AnyRail so hopefully it will work in reality, when the time comes.

John

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:08:54 pm by 25901JFM »

Offline GreyWolf

• Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 10:12:59 am »
... It works in AnyRail so hopefully it will work in reality, when the time comes ...

Am watching with interest ... and the same hope for my own layout!

Cheers  :beers:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything