!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The shed  (Read 1436 times)

Online Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: The shed
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2017, 01:23:53 am »
Old engine oil and paraffin mixed about 50/50 is a good substitute for the old creosote of yesteryear for coating your shed. Disadvantages are A- It does stink a bit for a couple of days, B- It will need at least 2 coats a couple of weeks apart and C- it comes in a limited range of colour's (dirty dark brown). The advantages are A- itís cheap, B- rain and moisture will just skate off, C- no mold or mildew will be able to live on it. My Dadís old shed lasted 52 years with this treatment and was still as solid as new when we had to get rid of it although he did give it another coat every 5 or 6 years. You may want to look at some of the newer preservatives that require less coats (if you only want your shed for 5 or 6 years) or want a trendy colour.

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2017, 07:44:00 pm »
As I've built my own shed I built it with polystyrene sheet below the wooden floor but above a damp proof membrane.
The problem with the tin foil bubbles is the possibility of popping bubbles, I don't think you will lose anything by putting the foil down I'm just not sure how effective it will be.

My shed floor is partly 150 year old yellow pine flooring recovered from a warehouse, this has been sanded and varnished. Sadly my source dried up before I had enough for all the floors. The  rest is a water proof 3/4 inch particle board, this will be covered in those interlocking rubber mats. Not just insulating but soft on the feet.

As for the outside, genuine creosote is the best, but only obtainable if you have a friendly farmer or qualified person who can still obtain it. I've not much left but it will be topped up with old engine oil.

My own shed is fibreglass covered meaning no more maintenance,  the commercial part of the wooden shed, was sprayed with the wax based coating, the north and east side stayed ok but those facing south and west seemed to fail in the sunshine after a couple of years. So I Could have resprayed but instead went for more fibreglass..

For inside I've just used cheap white gloss paint for baseboard framing / supports, where I wanted a varnished surface I used a quality varnish, as varnish is more fragile especially if in the sun. For baseboard I'd use the same, ( only I'm using foam baseboards so don't need to)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2017, 09:25:47 pm »
Diesel fuel is used here as a preservative, agricultural is cheaper. Smells and increases the fire risk but effective.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything