!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 9863 times)

NinOz and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2017, 03:14:04 pm »
Many thanks, again, for another inspirational set of excellent photos. of your lifelike scenery. I'm a big fan of using balsa wood for station platforms and raised areas but would never have thought of making hedges from it they way you described. (I bought all mine.)

Are the pavements, at least, bought? 8-)

The ballasting is, as to be expected, superb, too. You seem to have finer material than me.

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2017, 03:31:22 pm »
Many thanks, again, for another inspirational set of excellent photos. of your lifelike scenery. I'm a big fan of using balsa wood for station platforms and raised areas but would never have thought of making hedges from it they way you described. (I bought all mine.)

Are the pavements, at least, bought? 8-)

The ballasting is, as to be expected, superb, too. You seem to have finer material than me.

Thanks Chris. The pavements are home printed. I'm not really very happy with them but couldn't achieve anything better. I tried photographing the real thing but, just like the crazy paving in my garden, the results weren't great. The cracks between slabs are too darn small to show up in N!

Some areas are made up of small sections of 'straights' in order to get round all the curves. My last batch (coming in a later post) were done by first making a template the shape of the required pavement. That was scanned into Photoshop and the pavement was then shaped to fit the resulting image.

The ballast is Woodland Scenics fine grade.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2017, 09:18:38 pm »
YET MORE GARDENS AND A FARM YARD (September and October 2016)

The buildings along the far side of the road were fixed into position and their gardens developed. Here's a general view of the result.

The scenic module was put on the layout again.

The next view shows where the road continues over a bridge - this area will be developed when the module is permanently in place. Having hidden the road behind trees at the other end of the layout here I took the alternative approach of running it over the front edge of the baseboard in full view.

Hereís the view looking up the station approach road. The war memorial sits on a small green, behind it the Fox Inn. On the right are the two railway built cottages. These straddle the joint between two baseboard sections and are therefore not fixed down. The near cottage was leaning a bit when the photo was taken! Beyond is a rather neglected cottage.

Here's that neglected cottage again. It has been on the market for a while but has now been sold and the new owners have been staying at the Fox next door for a few days while they've been cleaning the interior and putting up curtains. The removal van has arrived with their furniture.

Two more views of the green.

A view down the road looking towards the left end of the baseboard.

Two houses on the other side of the Fox...

...and an aerial view of their gardens.

To finish off the road there's a farm house and surrounding buildings. The farmer's wife is a keen gardener, but she must be in the kitchen at the moment.

A closer view of the house. One of the farm hands has just brought a tractor out and is now closing the gate and having a chat to one of his colleagues.

Meanwhile, in the yard, the farmer is chatting to his horse.

And finally for this rather lengthy post a look back down the road.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2017, 09:29:21 pm »
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing the pics!

Matt

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2017, 10:24:15 pm »
LEFT HAND SCENIC MODULE FITTED TO LAYOUT (November 2016)

I fitted the scenic module to the baseboard and added more scenic material to blend it in. How nice it feels when an area of baseboard is finally covered over!

The next shots show how Iíve installed the station masterís garden and the car park, both rather smaller than originally planned.

Views from the back of the layout. The sky and background bushes/trees are on a piece of ply that I can stand against the layout when shooting towards the front of the baseboard.

And with the final shots we reach the end of 2016ís work. The layoutís one signal so far makes an appearance. At the time of posting, signals are still absent from the rest of the layout. Iím not sure what should go where, so may be asking for help in due course.

By the way, the 4MT in the foreground is weathered by TMC. The J39 is a factory weathered sample. Not much doubt which I prefer!

Offline Candy Apple Head

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2017, 10:44:51 pm »
I think this is the best N gauge layout I have ever seen.

The buildings are unbelievable. I don't know whether to feel inspired or to weep with feelings of low esteem!

Look forward to more pics!

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2017, 08:00:37 am »
I think this is the best N gauge layout I have ever seen.

The buildings are unbelievable. I don't know whether to feel inspired or to weep with feelings of low esteem!

Look forward to more pics!
I agree!
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2017, 08:18:11 am »
I tend to think you have formidable skills as a photographer, too, Roger. The lighting is brilliant.

I have had to look twice at the pics to convince myself they're not real.

You've set the bar high, mate, and I expect MRJ will be knocking on your door before long.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2017, 08:32:28 am »
Thank you very much for these photographs of your extraordinary layout.

You have maintained a consistently high standard across all the elements of 'Wrenton', which is a significant achievement.

With regard to signalling, I'm sure that you'll get any help you need here on the Forum.

Your starting signal with its 'Rule 55 exempt' plate looks ideally placed to me.

With many thanks and all best wishes.

John

PS I agree with George about MRJ!
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2017, 09:57:46 am »
Knit one, purl one.
Knit one, purl one.
Damn, I've dropped a stitch. Seems even knitting is beyond me :'(

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2017, 11:07:37 am »
I tend to think you have formidable skills as a photographer, too, Roger. The lighting is brilliant.
George
Lighting is a real battle! There's not much space between the front of the layout and a row of fitted wardrobes. The earlier shots (track laying, ballasting for example) are pretty poor, done with a point-and-shoot camera and available light. I now use 400w security lamps, the non-PIR ones. I have a couple of old lighting stands which get the lamps to a fair height and I bounce the light off the ceiling. For the most recent pics I've taken, not yet on the forum, I've added a third lamp which gives direct light, the other two filling in the shadows. This gives a better impression of sunlight, but wouldn't light the whole layout evenly. So with three light stands, an old mic stand supporting my moveable sky background and the camera tripod itself that space in front of the layout gets pretty crowded. Luckily the health and safety people don't come and see the mess of cables.

And thanks everyone else for the comments.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2017, 11:10:33 am »
Cool reply! Thank you!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2017, 01:02:53 pm »
THE CENTRAL SCENIC MODULE (February Ė May 2017)

Itís time to fill in the gap in the village, another 3í2Ē run of houses required. Fortunately I almost had enough already built. I collected them all together and found that I needed just one more to complete the road on the middle baseboard. This one fills the gap.

The base of the middle scenic module was made from layers of foamboard just like the earlier modules and the following photo shows it on the baseboard and with the buildings installed, the path of the road roughly painted in, most of the garden fences in place and trees placed temporarily along the back. I numbered the holes for all the trees on the back edge of the foamboard and when I removed the trees I put them into numbered bases so that I could put them back in the same locations later.

With most of the garden fences in place the next job will be to complete the back gardens.

The road and pavement part company about half way up the picture and the space between them, painted brown in the photo above, will be grassed.

The buildings which bridge the joints between baseboards will, of course, be removable as will large trees at the back of the baseboard - these hide part of the joints between the backscenes.

Once the scenic work has been completed away from the layout the module will be glued to the baseboard and the area between the road and the goods yard will be developed.

The gardens were constructed during April and early May. I've kept them fairly simple but made them as different as possible without spending too much time on them. Paths are a mix of printed textures, fine sand and painted surfaces. The flowers are home made clumps and some bought ones. Pots are also commercial products. The walls and fences are a mix of home made and bought.

The area behind the gardens has a rough layer of Woodland Scenics turf ready for further development. The road surface has yet to be painted.

The building seen above now has some pots and other plants along the front.

The construction of the cottage on the right in the next picture is described here: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38690.0

The same two buildings seen from behind.

The same cottage again, with its other neighbour. I think figures in static poses look better than those supposed to be moving. So a chat at the garden gate and a meeting further up the road.

Going a bit further along, where the road and pathway part company. The area between has now been grassed.

The backs of the same buildings.

A couple of ladies stop for a chat outside a shop.

Here are some of my earliest buildings, now with some greenery around them.

Next I planted the four bar fencing which borders the goods yard. I described how itís made in an earlier post. Thereís no pavement between it and the road so I added some static grass on the far side of the fence Ė that area will be harder to reach when the scenic module is fixed to the baseboard.

Back at the station approach road Iíve made a start on the gardens of the railway cottages. Iíve also added belisha beacons to the road crossing. They were made from pins with the head cut off and a small bead araldited on.

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2017, 02:12:17 pm »
I think I'll join NPN's Knitting circle   :wonderfulmodelling:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline rogerdB

• Awards