!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 10272 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #300 on: November 13, 2017, 01:35:12 pm »
 do you know when pallets were first introduced?

They've been around since the 1st millennium BC if not earlier.

I think itís earlier. How else did they deliver the materials to build the pyramids?  :hmmm:

:sorrysign: Roger, only joking. Iíll slink off down the drain now and stop the thread hijack.

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: November 13, 2017, 02:13:46 pm »
No problem Keith! But getting back on topic - I tried taking some more photos of the village buildings over the weekend. Here's the cottage that I showed being built on http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38690.0.

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #302 on: November 13, 2017, 02:57:02 pm »
Roger,
Nothing short of amazing. You may have already stated this, but how long would you reckon it would take you from having printed/cut out the cottage to actually fitting it into place on the layout?
Cheers Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #303 on: November 13, 2017, 03:46:24 pm »
Roger,
Nothing short of amazing. You may have already stated this, but how long would you reckon it would take you from having printed/cut out the cottage to actually fitting it into place on the layout?
Cheers Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. It obviously varies from building to building and I don't rush the job. I tend to do somewhere between two and four hours a day. For this little cottage I guess about three hours doing the drawings. Next day I'll do the cutting and assembling the walls. For a building like this with a painted finish probably two to three hours work, but one with a brick, i.e. printed, finish might take a bit longer. The chimney stack and roof structure the next day, then covering it with tile or slate paper might need another day. I'd hopefully do any painting that day, too. And one more day for details - gutters, down pipes, etc.

I think my diary would show some buildings taking a month - the Guildhall comes to mind as a particularly tricky one. The longest jobs were the station buildings and the church. I worked on drawings for the latter for weeks, in odd moments. The actual construction took seven weeks, and I think some of the days during that project were rather more than four hours.

Thank goodness for retirement!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2017, 02:05:01 pm »
Not making much progress at present, so here's another picture of a village building. Hope your screen isn't too large as this is being pretty cruel to an N gauge model!

Offline Masher69

• N Gauge Society Number: 26763
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: November 15, 2017, 02:21:56 pm »
Very nice. What did you use for your net curtains?

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #306 on: November 15, 2017, 02:37:02 pm »
Very nice. What did you use for your net curtains?

I cheat! See http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38690.0 for the details.

Online mika

• Awards
« Reply #307 on: November 16, 2017, 08:51:53 am »
Hope your screen isn't too large as this is being pretty cruel to an N gauge model!

Really? You could have that enlarged to poster size and it would still look great!

Keep up your amazing work.
Thanks for sharing.

Michael

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #308 on: November 19, 2017, 10:54:03 pm »
Back a few pages (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg472821#msg472821) I mentioned that I was looking for places where a camera could be put down at ground level and the idea of making a sort of inverted periscope seemed worth a try. Iíve finally got round to making one. Itís not hugely successful but hereís a test shot I made to try it out.

I used mostly 60 thou plastikard to make the box.

Its footprint is about 55mm square and it stands about 85mm high. A hole is cut in the top part to be a tight fit for the camera lens barrel. In order to get a nice circle I used the Portrait cutting machine, cutting three pieces from 20 thou and cementing them together. A second Ďtopí sits about 15mm below the first, also cut as a tight fit for the lens. This gives some stability to the camera. The mirror itself sits on a piece of plastikard set at 45 degrees to the horizontal. By some fluke I managed to cut the mirror to exactly the right width so that itís a tight fit and doesnít need to be glued in place.

Hereís the camera sitting on the box.

It does feel rather dangerous handling the camera like this Ė the thought of the damage it could do if it topples over is worrying, though Iíve found that using some Blutak around the box helps. Itís also rather difficult to see the image on the display if the camera isnít near the front of the layout. The biggest problem, though, is the faint second image caused by the mirror. If you look at the test shot you can see it under the loop of wire in the fence in the left foreground. Still, better than nothing, and built at little cost.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: November 19, 2017, 11:00:23 pm »
Excellent!!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: November 19, 2017, 11:14:51 pm »
Very clever solution Roger. :thumbsup:

The biggest problem, though, is the faint second image caused by the mirror.

I don't know the quality of your mirror, but might a better quality mirror help there?
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: November 19, 2017, 11:36:10 pm »
I don't know the quality of your mirror, but might a better quality mirror help there?

I've long since forgotten any knowledge of such things that I once had, but I wonder if the double image is, first, the wanted reflection from the silvered rear surface of the mirror and, second, an unwanted one from the front surface. Perhaps the problem is unavoidable - but I'm happy to be corrected!

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: November 19, 2017, 11:42:47 pm »

I've long since forgotten any knowledge of such things that I once had, but I wonder if the double image is, first, the wanted reflection from the silvered rear surface of the mirror and, second, an unwanted one from the front surface. Perhaps the problem is unavoidable - but I'm happy to be corrected!

;D Sounds like you've forgotten more than I know. :dunce:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: November 19, 2017, 11:49:23 pm »

You are not wrong there.  The way to get around it is to use a front silvered mirror.  They are available but expensive for a quality one and tend to be delicate to handle.  Mirrors with low or non-reflective glass are also available.  You could look around for an optical instrument makers web site possibly?  But, with all that said, the result that you got is excellent!
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #314 on: November 20, 2017, 12:23:16 am »
Astronomical telescopes have front surface mirrors, and in Newtonians the secondary mirror is used to turn the light path through 90deg, I wonder if they can be bought as spares ? They come in various sizes to match the diameter of the primary.

Also "star diagonals" 45deg or 90deg are used to turn the lightpath to a more comfortable angle for the eyepiece and I think cameras are sometimes attached to them ( though more usually the camera is attached more directly to the drawtube)
The star diagonals come in two sizes 1.25" and 2", the latter to fit the 'up-market' eyepieces.
Vignetting might be a problem though in front of the lens ?

there is currently on Astroboot a 1.25 diagonal for £6.50 and the mirror from a 2" for £20 http://www.astroboot.co.uk/

Just a couple for example, there should be other places to buy, which  may come to my mind the moment after I press Post  ! :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:24:30 am by MalcolmAL »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything