!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 10274 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Wrenton
« on: September 05, 2017, 06:05:47 pm »
Welcome to the imaginary village of Wrenton. Rule One applies. I don't have any 'back-story' to explain where it may be on the railway network, but what you're about to see place it somewhere in East Anglia. Back in October 2013 I had the idea of making some buildings in 2mm scale though without any intention of constructing a layout. I have a favourite village in Essex. One of my grandfathers was born there and it has lots of lovely houses and cottages crying out to be modelled. Working from my own photos and Google Street View images would give me enough information to make reasonably accurate versions of their frontages though the backs and sides would have to be mostly left to the imagination.

It was only when Iíd made a few buildings that I started to think about incorporating the buildings into a model railway.  In these photos of the early buildings you can see that I mounted them on temporary bases while they awaited their final home. Perhaps mounted IN temporary bases is more accurate as I always include some Ďfoundationsí, thus avoiding unsightly gaps under the walls.

I started with something simple - a garden shed (it has made it onto the layout) and followed that with a pair of semi-detached cottages from drawings in an old model magazine using card (which havenít). After that I tried another cottage using plastikard, which I much preferred to the card and which Iíve since used for all my models.

So hereís the first cottage which has made it onto the layout. The sills and the drip strips above the windows (if thatís the right name for them!) are clearly too large. Lesson learned Ė a photo shows up problems that might otherwise pass unnoticed.

Iíve used home printed roofs on all my buildings. They are based on photos of the real thing, stretched vertically in Photoshop to give the correct shape of the tiles or slates. Most of the village buildings have plastered walls so I donít have to worry much about brick papers.

Before starting work on the cottage I drew out the walls and window and door cutouts using Photoshop.

I printed this onto thin card, scored the corner lines and cut round the outlines. This was then folded up to form the shape of the cottage. Itís easy to see if any changes need to be made. When I was happy with the design I made another print, this time on label paper. This was then stuck onto a piece of plastikard to act as a cutting guide. This time, of course, the walls were cut as separate pieces. Once the label paper was peeled off, the walls could be assembled. I used this technique on all my early models, though I later bought a Silhouette cutting machine which makes cutting the walls, and many other components, much easier. More of this in a later post.

Next came a group which will sit on a steep hill. Here are the first two buildings. And one of them did need brick paper. I used a photo of the real building and Photoshopped a large enough area of bricks to cover the building.

Further up the hill is one of the two pubs which will grace the layout:

A small shop in the middle completes the group:

On the other side of the road is a guildhall, the original dating from about 1500. The twisted shape of the building was quite a challenge and was achieved by building it around a series of formers, much like building a model boat.

And next to that will be a building based on a very old one which served at one time as a workhouse and later as a butcherís shop. I love the look of the front of this building. Unfortunately it finished up almost facing the back of the layout!

This tiny cottage presented a few constructional problems. The sagging roof is deliberate, I promise!

This next group goes to the left of that cottage. Perhaps I should mention that Iím making the buildings as they look today, or quite recently, hence that bright blue cottage. I recall from childhood visits to the village that some of them looked rather scruffy in the 1950s and I doubt that that colour would have been seen! 

This building needed some modifications before installation on the layout as itís on a somewhat gentler slope than Iíd planned for. Hereís how it looked before the modifications. One lesson learnt from this building was to paint the walls using a colour that comes straight from a tube or pot. Iíd mixed this colour using artistsí acrylics and when the time came to retouch it after the modification I had a job to mix up the same colour again. So now I have a selection of sampler pots from the DIY store to chose from.

After making these buildings, which had taken about nine months, I finally persuaded myself that I wanted to build a model railway to put them on Ė I didnít need much persuasion. The village would be a major part of the layout and by basing the buildings on prototypes in a small area a sense of unity is achieved. Most of the real buildings are within a few hundred yards of one another, the most distant is only a couple of miles away. Some of the models are grouped like the real ones, most, though are not.

Offline PeteW

• Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 06:29:08 pm »
That's some great modelling  :thumbsup:.

How did you do the windows? That last one in particular looks fantastic.

Offline Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 23682
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 06:33:29 pm »
WOW!!!

Seriously impressive.
Reminds me of the buildings that Alan Downs used to build and feature in the modeling magazines back in the 70's but he was modeling mainly in O or sometimess OO gauge.

Very good work indeed.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Online nabber

• N Gauge Society Number: 21030
  • 2mm Association Number: 5295
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 06:34:30 pm »
Wow! That's very nice modelling - I love the Red Lion in particular. I think the photos taken outside really bring out the colours, and do have a much more 'natural' feel compared to usual indoor photos.

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 06:39:21 pm »
These are really impressive models. Thanks for sharing your pictures, and building techniques.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:29:15 pm »
What a seriously impressive set of buildings.  I'm currently making up a set of Metcalfe card kits but, seeing these results, I will seriously consider your technique for future buildings.  Well done!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 07:41:24 pm »
Streuth! :goggleeyes:

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 08:07:37 pm »
Excellence in miniature.

Congratulations!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 08:54:09 pm »
I canonly echo the compliments.
Brilliant.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 09:32:15 pm »
 :goggleeyes: :jawdropping:

Those buildings are just stunning, and deserve to be featured in the monthly mags or the N Gauge Society Journal.

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 09:36:04 pm »
Utterly Brilliant! That is some VERY impressive modeling!

Offline Entwistlecymru

• N Gauge Society Number: 27365
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 09:38:26 pm »
Stunning modelling. Very impressive  :thumbsup:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 09:47:23 pm »
How did you do the windows? That last one in particular looks fantastic.

I expected someone would ask that - didn't expect it would be the first reply!

OK, hands up, I cheat. The frames aren't real, they're printed and they're behind the glazing. I don't think this trick would work in larger scales but it seems ok in N.

I start with the outline drawing like the one in my original post. The outlines are on one Photoshop layer (I have to assume some familiarity with the program) and the window shapes on another. I add yet another layer and draw a dark rectangle within the window shape. I leave a bit of the original shape showing all round - that's the outer shape of the frame. The I draw in the internal glazing bars. I add curtains to this layer too. On one more layer I draw any net curtains required using a light grey. I set the transparency of this layer to show a hint of the curtains behind. I switch off the layer with the original window shapes before making a print. Here you can see the drawing for that last building with the walls laying on it, a couple of them in approximately the right position.

This building is actually more complex because it has sash windows. I worked with a couple of copies of the print, cutting the windows in half - top and bottom sashes. I then made up a sandwich of glazing, packing and prints. I hope this drawing explains it:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 10:02:52 pm »
What a seriously impressive set of buildings.  I'm currently making up a set of Metcalfe card kits but, seeing these results, I will seriously consider your technique for future buildings.  Well done!
I made a couple of Metcalfe kits and they certainly go together well and make up into sturdy models. I'm not fond of the obviously drawn brickwork and roofs, though. They would look better if these were more realistic, I think. But they do save a lot of time. I made the goods shed in less than a day. My scratch built one took ten days!

I could do a post showing the construction of a little cottage step-by-step if that would be of interest. Perhaps in the tutorials board? I photographed the build of a recent model at every stage of construction so I've got the pictures I'd need.

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 10:04:37 pm »
Yes please. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here