!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: L'esprit de Lavaux  (Read 719 times)

Online Gary Burcombe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26212
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: L'esprit de Lavaux
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 08:38:17 am »
one issue with the size of your basebooard that springs to mind, and I'm surprised Newport Nobby hasn't mentioned it already, is whether you have access to both long edges.  1.4m is a long reach across if you you only have access to one edge.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 09:27:46 am »
In my defence, GreyWolf did say he'd be asking advice about the baseboard further along, but you're quite right, Gary. Reach/access all areas must be considered but maybe GreyWolf is lucky in having access to every side of the board.

Offline GreyWolf

• Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
Baseboard location
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 09:37:47 am »
one issue with the size of your basebooard that springs to mind, and I'm surprised Newport Nobby hasn't mentioned it already, is whether you have access to both long edges.  1.4m is a long reach across if you you only have access to one edge.

Excellent point Gary!
The board will be up in the loft area, with one short (1400mm) edge near a wall under the roof. The longer edges will be accessable, so - other than stupidly over-reaching to break things - it should be fine!
Although with the slope of the roof over it ... will have to be careful not to knock myself out when standing up!  :dunce:

Cheers  :beers:

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
L'esprit de Lavaux - Phase 1 The Big O val
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 11:23:57 am »

Like I said this is going to be a long term project, that I intend taking my time over. But I'd still like to be able to 'play trains' while I'm doing it – you know the “having your model railway cake and eating it too” syndrome.

To be able to do this magic trick … I'm going to develop the layout over four phases. The first is the Big 'O' val:

First item on the Track Shopping / B-day / Xmas list is the Kato M2 master set, plus some extra straight track, just to use up the space you understand!

I have left a buffer of 50mm (min) from the edge of the board to the base of the rails – given that the battens are 24mm that should be enough to keep clear of those around the edge?

:ngauge:

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 12:48:58 pm »

Right ... as we have guests visiting for a few days, 'Er in doors' has me on spit and polish duty! So I will be AFF (Away From Forum) for a while ... unless I can sneak on tit'puter when no ones watching  >:D

Thanks to all for the interest, advice and warm welcome.

:thankyousign: :thankyousign: :thankyousign:

:beers:

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 02:50:12 pm »
Drill holes in the middle of every inner section to allow for upgrades/ inevitable changes of mind when you start laying track!!

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
L'esprit de Lavaux - Initial Final Plan
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 02:31:30 pm »

After a number of iterations, and changes and rethinks … I now have an (initial) Final Track Plan!
All comments and suggestions welcome.  :NGaugersRule:

There are three main areas:

At the bottom is a small station with a yard … this is the fictional “Lavaux sur l'Lac Gare”, which will have a street behind it with shops etc. The main line between Lausanne and Montreux passes through, and the local S4 service stops here going to and from the vineyards.

In the middle is “le petit valais”, a reference to the canton of Valais that the Rhone flows through to lake Geneva. Main line trains run through this from the new Gotthard Base Tunnel – not shown!

Then at the top, facing south, are the vineyard terraces of Lavaux, where the track emerges from the Grand Vaux tunnels, and snakes its way through the vineyards.

There are already a number of issues with this layout that even I can see!
  • The first of which is that the track is not connected all round – on the left of “le petit valais”  just before the tunnel exit – the connection to the turnout is not made. I'm hoping that there may be some play in the Kato track that will allow for this.
  • The next is the passing loop at “Lavaux sur l'Lac Gare”, that may be too close to the edge of the board. Not sure if there is any solution to this!
  • Also the slopes have some steep grades – up to 4% - but I'm hopeful that the build will sort these out with use of flexi-track.

Thanks in advance for your comments - I'll be AFF for the rest of September - so apologies if I'm slow in replying to you!

Cheers  :beers:

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 09:09:03 pm »
The passing loop does look perilously close to the baseboard edge but a see through barrier should save any misfortunes.
A gradient of 4% would be too much for virtually all UK outline models but I have no knowledge of European stock so you may, just may, be OK :hmmm:

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 09:08:08 am »
After some negotiation, my wife has decided that the layout should be over in that part of the loft space, instead of this part. Which is actually better as I'll be able to get around all sides of the layout - though still under the roof! This has also allowed some extra room for the layout, giving 2000mm by 1500mm (instead of 1400mm). So I've been able to reconfigure the layout a bit!

At the bottom the fictional “Lavaux sur l'Lac Gare” small station with a yard is there, and the main line between Lausanne and Montreux is now double track with cross-overs, and is further in from the edge of the baseboard.
In the middle “le petit valais” will still have main line trains running through, but now has dual track also with cross-overs to allow changes of direction.
At the top, the track still emerges from the Grand Vaux tunnels, and snakes its way through the vineyards. While the main line is also now double track.
The track is now all connected (using flexitrack - so we'll see if that works in practice). Duelling the track is now possible with the wider baseboard size. And the slopes although still steep grades are all less than 4% now. I'm still hopeful that the build will sort these out again with use of flexi-track.
Right - can start to think about the materials list for the baseboard!

Thanks as always in advance for your comments! Cheers  :beers:

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 09:34:08 am »
Congratulations on negotiating the extra space with 'The Authorities'.
At what cost, though, I wonder? :hmmm: ;)

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 09:41:02 am »
 :thumbsup:

Impressed here too in Australia... but I continue to worry about reach over access.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
L'esprit de Lavaux - Building the Baseboards
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 01:12:47 pm »
The Baseboard is 2000mm by 1500mm - I have two tables that are 1200mm by 700mm - that the baseboard will sit on - but which way round is the best? My current plan is:

So the first problem I see is the over hang of 40cm at either end, which seems too large?

Adding the joists to the baseboard has the following effect:

Second problem is, due to logistical reasons (so it will fit in the car) the baseboard is infact two boards of 2000mm by 750mm; which means that the join of these is at the same place as meeting of the two tables!

Then add the track:

The third problem is that in the middle “le petit valais” runs over the two battens that join the two baseboards AND rest on the meeting of the two tables - and the track has cross over points!

Comments and suggestions most welcome! Cheers  :beers:

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
L'esprit de Lavaux - Planning the Baseboards and supports
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 03:49:18 pm »
Having had a think about it ... I now feel that a better solution is to turn the tables by 90 degrees, and then move them apart a bit:

This gives a more uniform (and pleasing) over hang of 150mm all round, with a 300mm gap between the tables.
Adding the mainline oval to this now means that all turnouts and wiring on the main line are accessable from below.

To help resovle “le petit valais” problems, I've changed the track plan to have a Kato 20-210 Scissors Crossing, instead of the two Kato 20-230 Double Track One Cross Turnout No.4's.

Putting in the joists and the rest of the track I now have :

So the two central joists (holding the boards together) are now better supported, and the Scissors Crossing wiring will also be accessable from beneath.

Still may have difficulty with the two turn-outs in to the station yard, which are over one of the tables ... but it does look better, yes?

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 03:58:01 pm »
Impressed here too in Australia... but I continue to worry about reach over access.

Tis a good point ... is there any 'standard' arms-length value that should be used?

Cheers!  :beers:

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 04:39:30 pm »

Tis a good point ... is there any 'standard' arms-length value that should be used?

Cheers!  :beers:

Basically - 'No'
It depends on your build and on the layout, taking into account such constraints as:-
how tall you are/ how long your arms are
track containing stock/buildings close to the front of the layout which could be damaged when reaching over them
a fiddle yard behind a backscene which may need access to a derailment or other problem

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here