!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: L'esprit de Lavaux  (Read 718 times)

Offline GreyWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
L'esprit de Lavaux
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:51:48 am »

Considered a site of universal value, Lavaux vineyard terraces were elevated to the status of world heritage site by UNESCO in 2007. The mosaic of wall terraced vines welcome visitor from around the globe. These once uncultivated and overgrown hillsides have been transformed into a majestic landscape made up of terraces and vineyards. Throughout this transformation, although the techniques of terrace cultivation had evolved, the fundamental principles remained unchanged.

The vines take advantage of the “triple sun” effect: the rays from the sky, the rays reflected from the lake, and the nightly release of heat captured in the vineyards walls during the day. Along with the natural imposed conditions: breaks in the slopes, climatic barriers and a natural boundary situated at 600m above sea-level: below which the vines thrive but above only forests and pastures grow.
Facing Lake Geneva (known locally as Lac Leman) and the Alps, the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Lavaux spreads over two districts: Lavaux-Oron and Riviera-Pays-d’Enhaut. The territory extends over 10 municipalities: Lutry, Bourg-en-Lavaux (which includes the ex-municipalities of Cully, Epesses, Grandvaux, Riex and Villette), Chexbres, Puidoux, Rivaz, Saint-Saphorin, Chardonne, Corseaux, Corsier-sur-Vevey and Jongny.
<source: http://www.lavaux-unesco.ch/en/N5665/protected-area.html>
SBB rail lines running from Lausanne pass the Lavaux vineyards both at the foot, next to Lake Geneva (the 'main line') to Montreux, and through the vineyards, leaving Lausanne on direction Palézieux (the S4 'local line') and passing through Pully-Nord, up to La Conversion, Grandvaux and Puidoux-Chexbres.
It is this magnificent landscape that I would like to capture the 'spirit' of - for my very first (ever) model railway! I know myself that this is quite an ambitious project! Which is why I will be taking some time to plan it as much as possible.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: L'esprit de Lavaux
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:57:18 am »
Hi GreyWolf, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I know absolutely nothing about European trains, but would be interested to know what size you think your plan will fill, and what make of track will you be using?

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
Lavaux interesting features
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 10:04:22 am »

There are, I think, a number of interesting features that I'd like to incorporate, as far as possible. One of which is the tunnel trough Grandvaux, on top of which are roads and houses!

Here you see an SBB train just exiting the short tunnel (on the right edge at the middle) … above it are the road tunnels. The entrance to which looks something like below.

Nearby is Grandvaux station that I'd like to represent in some way. There are also road crossings that could be included … as well as numerous bridges under the rails! Along with an excellent viaduct  …

But the main feature is the walled terracing of the vineyards, Which the rail line sweeps through on a flexi-track!!

So there we have it! As I said maybe a bit ambitious for my FIRST (ever) n-track … but hey, I can dream!  :sleep:

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:22:58 am by GreyWolf »

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:09:11 am »
Hi GreyWolf, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I know absolutely nothing about European trains, but would be interested to know what size you think your plan will fill, and what make of track will you be using?

Thanks for the Welcome!

As a complete "newbee" I'm going to make my life simple and stick to Kato Unitrack; and intend to have a baseboard of 2m x 1.4m (and will be looking for advise on that later!)  :D

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
L'esprit de Lavaux - Baseboard & Battens?
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 12:36:37 pm »
 :helpneededsign:

Having trawled around the forum (which sounds very Frankie Howard!  :-[ ); I have a sense that there is a lot of very experienced modellers here – that I'd like to take advantage of please.
[I can't help it it's how I write it!  :angel: ]

So the first decisions on materials are which baseboard and what battens to use! My nearest supplier has a good range of materials for (building) construction – but which to choose. My first thought was MDF 2500mm x 1850mm x 8mm untreated wood fibres; I should say that the space I reckon to have for the layout is (max) 2000mm by 1400mm
An alternative would be a birch plywood panel 1500mm x 2500mm x 9mm with a phenolic resin coating. Getting these cut down to size would be easy as the supplier will do it (for a fee). The more difficult question is which is better?

The next decision is what size and type of battens to use to strengthen the board? It will be resting on a table that is 1200mm x 700m, so there will be over-hang of 350mm to 400mm around the edges. My first thought was 24x48 (x2000) mm wood strips – but this might be too heavy?

Any and all advise would be most welcome, and thank you in advance!  :thankyousign:

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 01:35:46 pm »
If the layout is going to be transportable or in an outside building or a garage, I would recommend steering clear of MDF as it does tend to attract moisture and warp as many modellers have found to their horror... 6mm Ply is what I've used for the base board with 2 x 1 battons and cross bracing every foot to stop any bending, glued and screwed..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:41:08 pm by Only Me »

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 01:49:14 pm »
If the layout is going to be transportable or in an outside building or a garage, I would recommend steering clear of MDF as it does tend to attract moisture and warp as many modellers have found to their horror... 6mm Ply is what I've used for the base board with 2 x 1 battons and cross bracing every foot to stop any bending, glued and screwed..
Plus of course, MDF is both heavy and hard!
By the way, I found a lovely model shop in Geneva. Only problem was it was closed on the day I came across it.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 01:55:35 pm »
If the layout is going to be transportable or in an outside building or a garage, I would recommend steering clear of MDF as it does tent to attract moisture and warp as many modellers have found to their horror... 6mm Ply is what I've used for the base board with 2 x 1 battons and cross bracing every foot to stop any bending, glued and screwed..

Thanks for the reply 'Only Me'  :wave:

Will be indoors and don't expect to have to move it.* Am liking the idea of the Ply as it is also treated. For the batton - is that 2 inch x 1 inch? So 50.8mm by 25.4mm? I'd read a post / article somewhere that barcing per 12 inch (305mm) is needed - thanks for the confirmation!
Stupid newbee question - which way round are the battens applied (ie what size is glued / screwed to the board?).

Cheers  :beers:
*subject to SWMBO approval

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 02:26:03 pm »
Normal practice would be to glue/screw the 1" side to the board. Since we've gone metric the wood now seems to be about 44mm x 21mm :hmmm:. Before fitting your bracing battens please ensure you drill holes in them to thread wiring through. In fact, I laid my track plan down and fitted the bracing around the plan. This avoided me trying to fit an under board point motor where there was a batten (a problem previously experienced)

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 04:55:20 pm »
Welcome aboard GreyWolf! :wave:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 05:14:46 pm »
Hi GreyWolf,

Great to have another Continental layout, if only in it's infancy, on the Forum  :claphappy:.

Hope the guys have answered your questions re the board.

I hope to have some vineyards with terracing on my French/Spanish layout (Principat d'Izaro) in the future but at my building speed you will probably overtake me so looking forward to that.

The viaduct looks great so hope you have room to do it.

I obviously don't know your better half (ie SWMBO) but, in my experience, if you don't have an allocated room the layout WILL have to be moved now and again (and again) so Good Luck with that.

Sounds like a lovely part of the World to model.

Looking forward to the plan and build.

Have fun,

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 06:13:27 pm »
Hi GreyWolf,
Great to have another Continental layout, if only in it's infancy, on the Forum  :claphappy:.
Hope the guys have answered your questions re the board.
I hope to have some vineyards with terracing on my French/Spanish layout (Principat d'Izaro) in the future but at my building speed you will probably overtake me so looking forward to that.
The viaduct looks great so hope you have room to do it.
I obviously don't know your better half (ie SWMBO) but, in my experience, if you don't have an allocated room the layout WILL have to be moved now and again (and again) so Good Luck with that.
Sounds like a lovely part of the World to model.
Looking forward to the plan and build.
Have fun,

Hi Weave, thanks for the welcome! Just had a quick view of your thread "Principat d'Izaro (French/Spanish layout)" and it's looking good!

Might be a while before I get to move to the 'Construction' thread!  :(

Yup the terraced vines are going to be a challange - so might come knocking on your PM door for some tips later (much later)!

:beers:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 06:49:22 pm »
Hi GreyWolf,

Hope I can help in the future. As the ground in the area I'm modelling is very stoney and arid they use Grenache vines which are more shrubby than others but potentially easier to model...

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/946088c28dd54998be16793404c9b7f6/a-slow-food-picnic-in-the-lords-vineyards-near-banyuls-france-b8933b.jpg

Edit, next one didn't work and can't find it. Will try again

http://www.completefrance.com/polopoly_fs/1.4630639!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg

I will still have to do the terracing etc. so get going and we can learn together. To keep my SWMBO happy and so she's not a complete train widow I try and bring scenery bits downstairs (like my restaurant) so we can watch TV together while I'm doing it. We do talk to each other too. Anyway, maybe vineyard practice in the next few months?

Bit of terracing ...

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/ec743115fa78406dbcab09ade4130514/vineyard-by-the-sea-banyuls-sur-mer-roussillon-france-b2yrxt.jpg

Doesn't matter re the vines and can't remember if you said but are you going to model present day or earlier?

I'll stop taking over you thread now.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:54:26 pm by weave »

Online Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 08:25:35 pm »
Welcome aboard.

I love the connection with Swiss wines which are not as commonly available hereabouts as they deserve to be (but, fortunately, can still be found).

Kato 'Unitrack' is a very good choice as it's pretty much a complete system and there is a lot of information here on the Forum about it.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
Board and Battens - tick
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 06:24:17 am »

Thanks to all for the advise and friendly welcome!

Given the potential issues with MDF, I've settled on the plywood panel for the base board and the  24x48x2000 mm  wood strips for the battens. A couple of three hours on 'AnyRail6' and I have a plan for the battens and board – the battens will be screwed and glued short edge (24mm) to the board.

By my calculation this will need 10 x 2000mm lengths, with off-cuts that will fill in the gaps.

The next phase is to start planning out the track – but to quote Newportnobby  “Before fitting your bracing battens please ensure you drill holes in them to thread wiring through. In fact, I laid my track plan down and fitted the bracing around the plan. This avoided me trying to fit an under board point motor where there was a batten !” Sound advise and I'll see better once I have the tack plan down!

Cheers all  :beers:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything