!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Plym Bridge (my retirement project)  (Read 810 times)

Online Ditape

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
Plym Bridge (my retirement project)
« on: August 28, 2017, 03:47:45 pm »

With Retirement approaching very rapidly at the end of September, I feel the need to build a new layout to keep me out of mischief, to achieve this I will need to dismantle my OO (orribly oversize) layout "Morthole" which was based on the real station of that name on the Withered-arm of the SR line in North Devon. My OO stock will be sold off to raise funds for the new layout,The new layout will partially fill the space freed up,after redecorating the room it is in which is my living room.The new layout being n-gauge willl give me a bit more space in my living room about 25 square feet which will be much needed as I will now be spending much more time at home not working 4 nights a week (12 hour shifts) and sleeping thru' 4 days each week.

Plym Bridge is based on the Passenger Station at Plympton prior to Dr.Beechings axe falling in the'60s, as can be seen in the plan which is Approx. 10ft X 2ft6ins it will incorporate a 10 road traverser (that I found on ebayhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Preset-Stepped-Traverser-Table/282374463530?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=581500960312&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649) I originally had thought of using a nelevator but 10 roads @80 seems a better proposition than 20 roads @ 1000+ especially as I do not really need the automated side of the nelevator. The basic layout is a figure of 8 with about 2ins max hight the station being on a slight gradient which will not really effect my operations as my main thing is to watch trains go by. The points will be servo operated with auto polarity switching using the set up from Hattonshttp://www.hattons.co.uk/62436/ANE_Model_A002Smart_4_Servo_control_operation_set_SmartFrog_complete_with_switches_control_board_d/StockDetail.aspx manually switched, the Loco control will be DCC,This layout will let me really indulge in my preference for scenic work, especially if I fit a drop in scenic section over the traverser. The layout will be WR based and of no real fixed era, but Rule 1 will apply.

I belieive this project will get underway the end of October/begining of November and work starting on the layout in the new year.
Diane Tape

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Plym Bridge (my retirement project)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 06:08:21 pm »
Looks fascinating, Di, and I look forward to seeing it develop with lots of pics please.
My only change to the plan would be to make a right hand point part of the inner curve at the top LH side and have a left hand one on the outer oval to make the crossover as that would remove the awkward 'S' on the crossover.

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 07:20:51 pm »
That's a very interesting plan, Di, and much more interesting than the normal 'half-an-oval' layout that one so often sees.  The traverser enables the fiddle yard to be smaller, thus giving much more space for the 'real railway'.  All best wishes for a very happy retirement when it comes.

John.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 10:01:31 pm »
 :hellosign: Very nice plan Di, look forward to developments
      regards Derek.

Online Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 05:16:35 pm »
This is interesting.  Can I assume that, since you mentioned a 'Nelly' as a passing thought, that the bottom of your picture will be the back of the layout? (against a wall possibly?)  My concern then would be that you will have to allow for the traverser when in its 'out' position.

The technical aspects of a traverser are fascinating to me and I look forward to hearing more about this project.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Online Ditape

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 05:21:02 pm »
This is interesting.  Can I assume that, since you mentioned a 'Nelly' as a passing thought, that the bottom of your picture will be the back of the layout? (against a wall possibly?)  My concern then would be that you will have to allow for the traverser when in its 'out' position.

The technical aspects of a traverser are fascinating to me and I look forward to hearing more about this project.

No the traverser is at front.
Diane Tape

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 11:37:08 am »
An interesting idea that I had not considered.  I will be watching this with interest because I have a similar area available to me.  Although I also have the option for L, U shape or even with some "jiggery pokery" all the way round the (odd shaped) room, which also needs to retain the desk, computer, printer/scanner and two drawer filing cabinet.  Good luck with your project and enjoy your retirement.
John

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 01:45:34 pm »
My only thought/ concern is what gradiant will be on those curves. anything much more than 2.5 % and a good portion of locos will struggle.

Otherwise I love this idea!

Online Ditape

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 04:11:36 pm »

This is a 3D representation of the track plan for the proposed layout.
Diane Tape

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 07:33:11 am »
Looks good Di, with plenty of scope for scenic work. My only comment would be whether you could make the right hand loop a little bigger? Is there a chance with the current arrangement that you will see the front and back of a long train in this section?

Welcome to your new career of retirement, it's great!

Online Ditape

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 10:46:19 am »
Just a Quick update on the project, I have ordered the base boards which should be with me in a couple of weeks, I am in the middle of deconstructing the OO (orribly oversize ;) )layout to make room in my small flat for the new project, I am slowly selling off my OO collection I may also sell off my t-gauge collection, I will keep you all posted on progress as and when there is any.
Diane Tape

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything