!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Colworth Hill : The Next Generation  (Read 280 times)

Offline cjdodd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Owner of Colworth Hill and Billybrook Yard
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Colworth Hill : The Next Generation
« on: August 06, 2017, 09:12:00 am »
Over the past few years i had been slowly developing my 1st N Gauge layout, but due to the size of the place i was living in the layout was only 6ft x 4ft and had to sit on the dining room table, while it was great fun and i learnt so much (and made many mistakes) it was very limiting as to what i could do. So you can imaging my delight when earlier this year i moved house, i popped my head into the loft and saw it was fully boarded out had electrics for mains and lighting, well that was it, the loft layout was born.

I cut up the old Colworth Hill layout and kept certain elements of it to incorportate into the new layout. I thought about giving the new layout a new name, but i wanted to carry on with the Colworth Hill name as thats the name that got me started and this was the new iteration of it. So where to start ....

.... WOOD ..... lots of wood

yes 100m !!! of 2"x4" timber in 1m lengths, it had just been taken off a building site where it was holding up some stairs while they were secured into place, cost me 20 for  the lot.

But it was no good building a layout in the loft if it was going to be too cold up work up there so next came lots of insulation

This stuff goes a long way, 5 rolls did the whole loft and now it's lovely up there, a little hot in the summer, but i'm planning on adding an extrator fan to release heat buildup in the summer months. The light came from Ikea and were butchered into parts as it was the chepest way to get LED bulbs, buld holders and cable.

So I had light, i had warmth and i had loads of time, time to get making. Over the next few weeks the frames started to take shape,

Toying with different building materals i ended up going for the tried and tested plywood base boards with a coating on MDF sealer to damp proof them.

So thats the stage i'm at now, this weekend i just started one of the ends under the computer monitor and then it's time to head back up the other side of the loft until i have a complete loop. I've worked out i'll have about 1 scale mile of track in the end and i plan on a 4 track main line with long countryside scenic sections to watch trains wind their way through the fields. I've got a few ideas of different track plans in different areas but that is something i'll work on one all the ground work is in place.

So thats where i am, watch this space ........

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Colworth Hill : The Next Generation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 09:37:52 am »
That's going to make many of us, especially me, very envious :envy:
I do have difficulty getting into my loft space, though.
Good to see you remembered to create holes for threading wiring through the frames, something it's all to easy to forget (don't ask)

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 09:48:31 am »
There's nothing like a fresh start to get you going on an improvement.  Otherwise it's just a question of tinkering.  Good luck with the project and I look forward to reading about your progress. :thankyousign:
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 02:31:52 pm »
That is certainly a great space for a layout.
Looking forward to seeing your build develop.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything