!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 8123 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2017, 09:12:46 am »

Some of my howlers have never, and will never, be broadcast :-[

Entertain us please :D

:no: :zippedmouth: :whistle:

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2017, 02:32:43 pm »
Track Laying

Confined indoors due to rain allowed some progress with track laying on the neoprene sub-base.

A brief sunny interval today gave me an opportunity to take a photograph.  Sorry it looks so dull; black neoprene and the dark sleepers of Peco 'Setrack' don't give much of a contrast.  I think it does capture the look of a train set of 40-50 years ago that had been developed with some additional track to give the 'double track and two sidings' layout from the book of plans.  How the (much!) younger me would have enjoyed such a layout.

I'll now attempt to connect the feed wires and see if I can persuade a couple of trains to run...

Many thanks for looking.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2017, 04:03:35 pm »
Electrifying.

I have finished a fairly straightforward wiring session.  It is all so much easier when one can simply turn the layout upside-down and attend to the wiring whilst sitting comfortably.

Electricians and electrical engineers please look away now:

I have used the same electrical system as my old motorcycles did: a live wire to whatever-it-is that needs electricity and return to earth.  Earth, in this case, is a black 5A wire (for auto-electrical use) that runs round the layout below the baseboard.  Common return, I suppose, in model railway terminology.

Amazingly, trains are running on both the Up and Down lines.  The only problem was occasional derailments caused by a pair of insulating rail joiners on a curve.  I have moved the insulated join to a straight section and all is well.

Time to play trains.  Years ago it was 'Flying Scotsman' and 'B12' No. 61572.  Today it is 'Lady of the Lake' and 'B12' No. 8572.  Both are Union Mills and both are in that lovely LNER apple green livery which Union Mills captures (to my eye anyway) so very well.

If I can get this far; anyone can.

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2017, 04:15:05 pm »
Good stuff, John.
Does your camera do videos? As you have seen, I use Dropbox and so far have not been charged at all.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2017, 12:49:11 pm »
Thank you, NPN.

I enjoyed your film of the 'Q1' and that looks like a fantastic layout which you are building.   :greatwork: 

I don't have a digital camera.

But I do have the mobile telephone which the office expects me to have handy.

It takes photographs.

I'll see if I can use it to make a short film.  All new to me.

It won't be Ivo Peters' standard, though!   :hmmm:

Kindest Regards.

John

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2017, 02:02:38 pm »
Thanks, John.
Dear old Ivo Peters. I have a couple of his books and a couple of films about the S & D (a 'proper' railway)

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2017, 02:28:11 pm »
British 'N' Gauge in the Garden in Glorious Shakyvision

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkoxdc3ees2tz9c/Table%20Top%20Railway%208%20Aug%202017.MOV?dl=0

Thank you, NPN for your suggestion.  Here is the worst model railway film ever made.

This is clearly a triumph of good quality products (almost all British and Commonwealth as is my intention) and sound advice from members of the Forum over my ineptitude.

Track and goods rolling stock from Peco (and, yes, that is a Borders Railway re-opening commemorative wagon - it's nearby).  Thank you, NPN and Bealman, for your helpful advice to use points with live crossing vees.   :thankyousign:

Locomotives by Union Mills.  Apple green in the sunshine (amazingly, it is sunny today):-  'Lady of the Lake' on the Up line (appropriate engine given Sir Walter Scott's love of this part of the country'.  'B12' No. 8572 on the Down line, with apologies to it for being on a goods working today.  I really like these robust little engines which run so very well. 

The Gresley teak carriages are by Dapol (British company but manufactured in China, I believe).  Sorry that there are three carriages in the formation; the normal passenger train on this kind of layout when I was young was Composite and Brake.  But one of my friends had a Restaurant Car as well.  And the Gresley Buffet is so nice I couldn't resist it.  I like to think that the 1:148 me is inside drinking glorious English Sparkling Wine and watching the world pass by.  With these sharp curves, I'll have super views of the 'Scotch Director' up front.

Improbable Tunnel is faked up to the left and the overbridge is to the right.  The motor omnibus is practising breaking down so that it can do it consistently once the bridge has been built.  A (very) second-hand platform at the top shows the intended location of the passenger station.

Thank you for looking and apologies for the awful video - the first I have taken on a telephone.   :-[

Model railways are fun.

All the very best.

John

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2017, 02:39:59 pm »
British Pathe News would have been proud of you! Nowt wrong with the video. It showed us a great little layout.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2017, 07:30:24 pm »
Good work with both the layout and video John.

Your vegetation is very realistic! :D

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2017, 07:33:24 pm »
That looks really good and great to see those trains running so well.
Great stuff.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2017, 08:13:59 pm »
That looks really good and great to see those trains running so well.
Great stuff.

PP  :thankyousign:

Thank you so very much for this, but it's important to recognise that the trains running well is because of the quality of our present day manufacturers (Union Mills, Peco, Dapol & Gaugemaster) and the help from members of this Forum.

If I can do it, anyone can!

With all best wishes.

John

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2017, 09:37:15 pm »
Wahey, John!
Good stuff, sir :claphappy:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2017, 10:48:33 pm »
Good work with both the layout and video John.

Your vegetation is very realistic! :D
British Pathe News would have been proud of you! Nowt wrong with the video. It showed us a great little layout.
:hellosign: Agree with the above, thanks for sharing
     regards Derek.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2017, 04:26:55 pm »
Steps Forward, Backward and Then Forward Again (Hopefully).

For someone who has pottered with model railways for as long as I have, the Table-Top railway has certainly made me think.  Last layout was US 'N' scale with Kato 'Unitrack'.  The one before that, the 'Plywood Pacific', was H0, again US, with code 70 Peco 'Streamline'.  Both were large and gave few constructional difficulties.  There was an unfinished French H0 effort as well amongst all this.  However three-and-a-bit by two in British 'N' gauge has made me learn a great deal.

The latest two problems:

1 The under board-mounted point Peco motors would not work reliably.  Must have been my dodgy installation.  I had no difficulties with the 'Tortoise' switch machines on the Plywood Pacific which are also below the baseboard.  I then simply cut the big hole as Peco suggests and clipped the motors directly to the points.  I needed to shorten the actuating pin.  Wire cutters made little impression on it but the slitting disc did the trick.  Peco clearly use good materials!  The big holes are tidied up with black card and will hopefully be even better once the ballast is in place.  There was no room for the point for the second siding to be dealt with this way so it will either be manually controlled (very prototypical as it's in the yard) or the second siding will be lifted (also prototypical!).   

2 When one mixes 'Setrack' with 'Streamline' points, some cutting is to be expected.  I worked to a 'Setrack' length of two 'double straights' and one 'short straight'.  This required the switch and crossing formation, which is three medium radius turnouts long (albeit with two arranged as a trailing crossover), to have an 11mm long piece of track.  At first this was fine, but as I operated the layout and moved it around, including standing it on its end, it became clear that this short piece would be a problem in the future.  Best dealt with, then!  The 11mm piece was thrown in the dustbin and three other track pieces had 11mm cut off to maintain equal distances across the layout.  All were long pieces so are stable.

There are few better experiences over a weekend than lifting the track which one has just laid.  But model railways are fun.

The experimental neoprene top to the MDF baseboard appears to be fine and trains are quieter than when running directly on the MDF.  I'm watching it, though!

To demonstrate that the Table-Top railway is operational again, the World's Worst Photographer has been out and about in his motor car...

GWR spit and polish: One of Mr Collett's new 'Dukedog' 4-4-0s on a short Up passenger train passes a well-cared for survivor of Mr Dean's famous goods engine class on the Down line.  Some unlikely coal wagons are in the first siding.  The second siding is empty in case it gets lifted.  (The blue dot in the foreground marks the intended location of the Up Starting Signal.)

AA Service: The AA Patrol has parked his trusty BSA 'M20' whilst he attends to polishing the wheels on the off-side of the photographer's new motor car.  The photographer had to replace the Bentley with a Jaguar in order to be able to afford the colour transparency film.  The signalman has the kettle on the boil whilst the photographer captures the lovely gleaming 'Dukedog' for a second time today.

Locomotives by Union Mills, goods wagons by Peco, passenger rolling stock by Dapol and road vehicles by Oxford Diecast.  By the way, I think that Mr Heard at Union Mills gets the GWR dark green spot-on.  I see it as very similar to the British Racing Green on the Bentley that the photographer doesn't have.  Have you seen some of the shades of GWR green on '00' locomotives on the market at present?  But colour perception is a personal thing.

Many thanks for looking.

Model railways are fun.

Best wishes.

John 

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2017, 04:55:01 pm »
I sympathise!  Forward and backward steps seem to be the norm.  Perhaps it's a mark of a determined modeler.  But it all looks very good.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything