!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 8122 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2017, 03:54:10 pm »
Looks fine to me, John, and your track spacing is very neat.
What's more, the Scrap Rail doesn't look as if it contains any set track points (they look like electrofrogs to me) so that's a Brucie Bonus :thumbsup:

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2017, 09:34:00 pm »
 :thankyousign:

Many thanks for your kind comment, NPN.

The scrap rail had five pretty much unused medium radius Electrofrog turnouts and two well-worn 'Setrack' ones, amongst assorted straights and curves and a little bit of bashed-up 'Streamline' code 80 flexitrack.  A very useful selection and ideal for the purpose.  I was surprised at the amount I could re-use as I've always assumed second-hand track to be unsuitable for further use.  I was wrong this time.  A Brucie Bonus indeed!

Your (and Bealman's) helpful advice was not only technically sound but saved me buying four 'Setrack' points...  :beers:

Thanks again and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2017, 10:00:23 pm »
Great progress and any thread that gives Harburn Hobbies a mention gets my vote!   :thumbsup:

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 08:49:10 pm »
Progress or the Lack of it!

I wired up the track today (a temporary lash-up but trains could run) and gave the layout a test.  I was less than impressed with the running!  Electrically, it was fine; it was the 'unsmooth' rolling along that made me worry.  I'm sure this will be entirely due to my poor P. Way work, rather than any fault of the Peco components.

Investigations continue...

All part of the fun of model railways.

All the very best.

John
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:55:46 am by Train Waiting, Reason: Punctuation. »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2017, 08:53:14 pm »
Run a finger (slowly) round the track and see if you can feel any joints out of kilter, John. Do not do this quickly as it results in pain and maybe loss of valuable red liquid :ouch:

Offline Tornado

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
    • My N Gauge Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2017, 09:24:00 pm »
Run a finger (slowly) round the track and see if you can feel any joints out of kilter, John. Do not do this quickly as it results in pain and maybe loss of valuable red liquid :ouch:

I can vouch for the pain, and significant blood loss. Through my own stupidity coupled with fat fingers, i've had one or two track joiners embedded in my thumb  :doh: :D

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2017, 09:36:38 pm »
NPN and Tornado

Thank you very much for this.  The straights are straight along a straight edge and the curves are marked out accurately for the radius and diameter and track is accurately laid to the markings.  There are still gaps at some of the rail joints.  Amazingly, the pointwork formation with 'Streamline' points and my cut track pieces is probably about the best part of the layout for running.

The 'top' is not as good as I should like either.

For a first effort with 'Setrack' in British 'N' gauge it would be fine, I suppose, but I expect better from myself.  My other 'N' experience is US 'N' scale with Kato track; I made a better job of that and it's a much bigger layout.

Time to 'Stop and Think' as the M&GN signal box lever collars used to say, I believe.

The G&SWR made do with 'Train waiting'.

Thanks again and all the very best.

:thankyousign:

John

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2017, 10:28:13 am »
Have you by any chance mixed track codes anywhere? Set track is code 80 so will fit perfectly with code 80 flexitrack and points, but there is a height difference between code 80 and code 55 as code 55 rails are partly embedded in the sleeper base. The finger test would detect that. Some rolling stock will not like the height difference.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2017, 10:36:38 am »
A difficulty I have had problems with.

Watch ya fingers, though!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2017, 07:28:33 pm »
I'm pleased to see that this has continued to develop whilst I have been away.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2017, 11:22:17 pm »
Have you by any chance mixed track codes anywhere? Set track is code 80 so will fit perfectly with code 80 flexitrack and points, but there is a height difference between code 80 and code 55 as code 55 rails are partly embedded in the sleeper base. The finger test would detect that. Some rolling stock will not like the height difference.

Many thanks, NPN

All rail codes are the same.  I regret that all difficulties are caused by my poor workmanship.
I'm pleased to see that this has continued to develop whilst I have been away.

PP, Thank you for this.

Progress has stalled whilst I attempt to sort out the poor-quality track-laying.  I suspect the problems are multi-factorial.  Hopefully, I'll be able to do some thinking over the weekend.

Model railways are fun!

All best wishes.

John

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2017, 12:41:54 pm »
Just a thought. If any rail joiners are even a little bit damaged, bent or mis-aligned they need to be replaced.
It's surprising how much better the track will lay if the joiners are perfect.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2017, 04:08:05 pm »
Back on Track (Sorry!)

Firstly; very many thanks for the helpful ideas for troubleshooting my appalling track.  I'm very grateful for the advice.

:thankyousign: :NGaugersRule:  :beers:

I anticipated that the problem might be multifactorial and that was the case.

Problem 1.

My tightfistedness.  I used two old offcuts of Sundeala on top of the MDF, rather than obtaining new material.  You can see the join in an earlier post.  And the mild steel plates that I used to try to persuade the Sundeala to lie flat.  I've never had any trouble with correctly seasoned Sundeala in the past but then I have not used Peco 'Setrack' in British 'N' gauge before.  I'm sure that I would have got away with it in US 'N' scale with Kato 'Unitrak' or in H0 with Peco track.  My 'P4' tracklaying was never on Sundeala.

Conclusion: Sundeala and Peco 'Setrack' in 'N' are excellent products but not idiot proof.  Along comes the idiot and trouble occurred.   :dunce:

Solution: Replace the Sundeala with 10mm neoprene.  This also has a join (two joins actually) but these appear flat.  And they are well 'Copydexed'!   

Problem 2.

Trying to be too clever.   :-[  The Up line has seven pairs of power feeds and the Down line has six.  This appears excessive but I plan to have two separate block sections and I believe in lots of power feeds anyway.  I tried to do a really neat job with holes drilled through the Sundeala and MDF that pretty much fitted the diameter of the wires.  Most of the bad parts of the track were due to it being pulled out of alignment by the power feeds or sitting high because of them.

Conclusion: The power feed wires were sticking in their holes when they really needed a degree of movement.

Solution: Open out the holes in the MDF from 2mm to 8mm.  'Poke' holes through the neoprene with a bradawl.  Pass the wires through.  Once the track join is acceptable, the neoprene pretty much heals up and unobtrusive track wiring is obtained.

Hopefully, that's the problems solved.  And it's pouring with rain.  So I can press on with some track laying.

Thank you for reading.

With best wishes.

John

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2017, 05:15:48 pm »
Glad to see you're getting there, John.
None of us got anywhere without making some errors and that's how we learn.
Some of my howlers have never, and will never, be broadcast :-[

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2017, 10:58:51 pm »

Some of my howlers have never, and will never, be broadcast :-[

Entertain us please :D
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here