!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 8033 times)

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #225 on: November 13, 2017, 08:21:51 pm »
Looks just like mine!
Smashing photo John.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2017, 09:05:22 pm »
Thank you, Martin.  I'm relieved that the photograph was present and correct this time.

This little glitch had the side-effect of making me think a bit more about the Southern version of the layout.

The plan is for the junction station to be sufficiently generic in design to pass (well, sort of) for locations on all of the 'Big Four'.  The LNER locations were easy - Brawton (for Darrowby) and Flaxfield (for Arcady).  For the GWR, I fancied Guestwick (for Allington).  The Southern was easy, or so I thought.  The branch line would go to Sanditon and I would re-read Jane Austen's unfinished novel to find a name for the junction station.   But, of course, as all 'Jane-ites' know, Sanditon is in Sussex.  And Union Mills' Southern locomotives are all ex-LSWR.  Silly of me!  Time, I think, to move a bit further West.  And, maybe, just maybe, combine the GWR and Southern in one layout.

And... as for the LMS; I'm still thinking.

It's good to think.  :hmmm:

John       
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2017, 10:41:07 pm »
 :hellosign: Super photo John, well worth the wait, thank you
     regards Derek.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2017, 08:12:45 pm »
Another Three-Quarters of an Inch Makes All the Difference

(16.5mm to be precise)

Today it was time to stop putting off investigating the bang and lurch that the Union Mills locomotives' tenders made crossing the facing points into the Down Loop.

Only the Down Loop, never the Up Loop, and never a derailment.  And only on the straight road.  The diverging road, although it was, in effect, a double reverse curve was fine.  D9007 'Pinza' and the GWR railcars experienced no trouble.  Replacing the points made no difference.  Time to try the old trick, to prevent leading wheel derailments, of a straight between the end curve and the facing points.  I experimented: the 45.5mm straight gave perfect running but the 29mm straight was back to bang and lurch.  That 16.5mm (interesting co-incidence!) is clearly important.

All locomotives are now performing well at the turnout and the layout is 45.5mm longer!  As to why: I have a theory but no proof.

With best wishes and thank you for looking.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2017, 10:51:29 pm »
 :hellosign: good news John, goes to show in this case bigger is better  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #230 on: November 15, 2017, 08:33:46 pm »
Time for Some Crimson Lake

Here, demonstrating the additional 45.5mm track piece, which gives much better running through the facing points, is LMS '2P' 4-4-0 No. 443 on a short Down stopping passenger train.

Incidentally, the 'Unijoiners' are fully 'clicked' home, but the track piece is showing a very slight gap at each end.  Also, the rail joints are slightly high which sometimes happens with 'Unitrack' and especially, in my experience, when one uses the shorter track pieces.  This can be dealt with...

Many thanks for looking.

Best wishes.

John

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #231 on: November 15, 2017, 08:50:01 pm »
.. the rail joints are slightly high which sometimes happens with 'Unitrack' and especially, in my experience, when one uses the shorter track pieces.

Yes, something I've noticed with my small collection of Unitrack, and seems to be a slight drawback in what is otherwise a decent track system. I've always assumed it would be improved by screwing the track down, but as I only use my Unitrack for temporary test ovals that's not likely to happen.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2017, 06:48:51 pm »
Down at the Station Today

What-ho, Chums,

Although I probably ought to have been doing other things, I popped down to the station earlier today to see if anything interesting was happening.  This goods train came though on the Down line:

I was fascinated by the first van in the train which looked to be ex-works.  Fortunately for me the train was stopped at the signal approaching the Down Goods Loop at which point the 'Toad' was opposite me.  The guard is well-known in these parts and always goes by the name of 'Grenadier' (I've never met anyone who knows his real name!).  Knowing that there wasn't a train due on the branch line, I walked over and asked Grenadier about the lovely green van.  I told me that he had admired it as well and that it was headed for a firm in Somersetshire called Sam's Cider.  I asked where it came from and he said somewhere to the south-east.  At that point the train got the road and I was not able to find out more.
The train locomotive was 2537, a regular hereabouts.  Old Bill Dean is her regular driver and he keeps her looking splendid.  She proudly retains 'Great Western' on her tender when many locomotives are starting to appear with the new GWR monogram. 

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

And special thanks to Chris (IP) for the van.

Toodle-oo,

John

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2017, 07:05:43 pm »
Hi John
Lovely photo. I cannot quite replicate as my own Dean Goods is black.
Strange that Sam’s Cider vans appear here from time to time.
Martin
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2017, 07:17:29 pm »

Did B12s ever run in Germany?   :D  :D  :D

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2017, 07:32:33 pm »

Did B12s ever run in Germany?
Yes, I can assure you that they did.  I have seen an absolutely lovely photograph of No. 1565 showing our good German friends what a proper engine looks like.  Just as well that the B12/3 was Westinghouse-fitted as I don't know what the ever-efficient Germans would have made of our vacuum brakes.  At least we can blame the Midland for that!

Thank you very much for posting the photograph.  [Rods down as well - I really ought to pay more attention to this!]

Union Mills for Ever!

All the best.

John

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2017, 07:54:06 pm »
Time for Some Crimson Lake

Here, demonstrating the additional 45.5mm track piece, which gives much better running through the facing points, is LMS '2P' 4-4-0 No. 443 on a short Down stopping passenger train.

Incidentally, the 'Unijoiners' are fully 'clicked' home, but the track piece is showing a very slight gap at each end.  Also, the rail joints are slightly high which sometimes happens with 'Unitrack' and especially, in my experience, when one uses the shorter track pieces.  This can be dealt with...

Many thanks for looking.

Best wishes.

John

That Crimson Lake 2P looks really good. Can I justify one in West Cornwall?
Special train perhaps?
My Layouts -

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2017, 07:55:01 pm »
Yes, I can assure you that they did. 

Well well well!  I was only joking, but I've just found an online article about the restoration of 8572 at Kloster Mansfeld in 1994.  My flabber is well and truly gasted!   :claphappy:

http://www.wandering1500.co.uk/pages/b12history.html

Here she is in Germany!

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2017, 08:02:10 pm »
 :laughabovepost: :beers: :thankyousign:

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2017, 08:25:08 pm »
Hi John
Lovely photo. I cannot quite replicate as my own Dean Goods is black.
Strange that Sam’s Cider vans appear here from time to time.
Martin

They come this way too, occasionally. :)
The Dean looks a lovely loco. Don't tempt me!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here