!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 8120 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 09:00:39 pm »
John - does this mean all locos and rolling stock are likely to be Poole Farish as far as UK outline goes?

The plan, such as there is a plan, is for UK outline, 1900-1938.  Locomotives, apart from a couple of Peco 'Collett Goods', will be from the absolutely excellent Union Mills range which I cannot praise enough.  If left as supplied, they slightly remind me of Hornby Dublo or Wrenn products.  They perform so well and appear indestructible, just like my old Wrenn locomotives which still get an occasion outing on an oval track I have for them.  However, I certainly would not totally rule out some Poole Farish, such as a Hughes/Fowler 2-6-0, although I don't have any as yet.  I do have a couple of modern Farish GWR railcars.  As for rolling stock, goods wagons are from Peco - I have built up a little collection.  Passenger rolling stock could be Poole Farish, modern Farish or Dapol.  Perhaps think of it as using modern products to create something that looks 'old-fashioned' but works well, such as some of the current Triumph motorcycles which look gloriously traditional but will certainly be much more reliable than my old machines. 

Sounds like an excellent plan to me.
Are you intending that scenery will be very limited such as platforms, signal boxes, bridges and tunnels just "plonked" in place just as it was on my 00 layout 50 years ago?
Thank you very much for this; it is precisely where I think I will find the most difficulty achieving what I have in mind.  Scenery will be fairly limited and everything will be rather too bright and shiny for 'proper' railway modelling.  The best example I can give is to think of an illustration from an old 'Ladybird' book.  Colourful, cheerful and idealised.  Does this make any sense?   

Ideas, thoughts and comments on this would be very welcome.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 09:17:55 pm »
John - does this mean all locos and rolling stock are likely to be Poole Farish as far as UK outline goes?

The plan, such as there is a plan, is for UK outline, 1900-1938.  Locomotives, apart from a couple of Peco 'Collett Goods', will be from the absolutely excellent Union Mills range which I cannot praise enough.  If left as supplied, they slightly remind me of Hornby Dublo or Wrenn products.  They perform so well and appear indestructible, just like my old Wrenn locomotives which still get an occasion outing on an oval track I have for them.  However, I certainly would not totally rule out some Poole Farish, such as a Hughes/Fowler 2-6-0, although I don't have any as yet.  I do have a couple of modern Farish GWR railcars.  As for rolling stock, goods wagons are from Peco - I have built up a little collection.  Passenger rolling stock could be Poole Farish, modern Farish or Dapol.  Perhaps think of it as using modern products to create something that looks 'old-fashioned' but works well, such as some of the current Triumph motorcycles which look gloriously traditional but will certainly be much more reliable than my old machines. 

The Peco Colletts fetch somewhat silly prices but wait a while and I believe Colin Heard at UM is bringing one out which will be far simpler/cheaper. Regarding modern Farish, they are manufactured in China and Bachmann Farish is part of a Chinese parent company. Dapol is currently made in China although the company is based in the UK at Chirk.
I'm just trying to gauge how far your 'principle' will be taken :hmmm:

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 10:20:31 pm »

The Peco Colletts fetch somewhat silly prices but wait a while and I believe Colin Heard at UM is bringing one out which will be far simpler/cheaper. Regarding modern Farish, they are manufactured in China and Bachmann Farish is part of a Chinese parent company. Dapol is currently made in China although the company is based in the UK at Chirk.
I'm just trying to gauge how far your 'principle' will be taken :hmmm:

Thank you very much indeed for this.  I'm also trying to gauge how far my idea to use British or Commonwealth-manufactured items can be taken, so it is particularly helpful to be asked.

At present, my view is 'where reasonably practicable'.  As regards steam locomotives, the Union Mills range and the couple of Peco 'Collett Goods' which I am fortunate enough to have will do nicely.  I cannot think of an alternative supplier for the GWR railcars and I already have them, so that seems fine.  Apart, perhaps, for occasional items like brake vans, Peco can take care of the goods rolling stock.  It is for the passenger rolling stock that the 'reasonably practicable' becomes important as I cannot think of a present-day British or Commonwealth supplier of r-t-r stock.  Please can anyone help with suggestions for suppliers that I have overlooked? 

Although I would certainly not rule out some Poole Farish items, I am not planning on relying on them.  My plan is to try, as far as I can, to create an old-fashioned looking 'train set layout' using contemporary products.

Thank you so much for helping me to try to think this through.

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 07:18:04 am »
Great ideas John. I look forward to watching your progress. Maybe the basis for a first layout for my grandson (currently 4).

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 09:36:41 am »
Sorry, John, but as far as RTR goes I can only think of Poole Farish as being British made. Perhaps some of the cognoscenti may know otherwise?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 11:21:27 am »
Sorry, John, but as far as RTR goes I can only think of Poole Farish as being British made.

Were any of the Hornby Minitrix items assembled in the UK or was it all made in Germany?

Lone Star Treble-O Lectric?  That's the stuff I tend to think of as classic 60s N gauge!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:22:31 am by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 12:38:37 pm »
I get the impression that Train Waiting knows what he's doing and look forward to pics.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 07:26:35 pm »
I agree totally with your views on Union Mills locos. And yes their basic design and ruggedness fits your plan perfectly.
One thing that I would add , if you are going for the boyish train set approach is to keep everything flat as that's how our trainsets were. Apart from, of course, the strange tunnels which just fitted over the track.
And don't forget trains made up of a complete hotch potch of wagons, vans and coaches!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 09:58:43 pm »
That looks good, a pair of ovals, a siding, small station etc
and a couple of trains running round, plenty of enjoyment.

Thank you very much, Broadsword, that's exactly what I have in mind.  Up and Down lines, a through station at one side of the table-top baseboard and sidings at the other side.  It really is most encouraging to see that you have the same idea.  As you say, this will give plenty of activity to be enjoyed [whilst consuming tea/coffee/foaming ale/wine according to the time of day!].  There is a published plan by Paul A. Lunn in the 'Peco Setrack 00/H0 Planbook' ('Plan 6:Extending the oval to include double tracks', also called 'The Axmouth and Beer Railway') which is pretty much what I should like to do.  A quick internet search ought to find this plan, without me worrying about any copyright difficulties by including it here.  Changes that I am inclined to make are to arrange the entry to the yard by means of a trailing connection and to dispense with the headshunt, as I don't intend to undertake much in the way of shunting.  Does this sound at sensible to you?

Thank you so much for your interest and your helpful comment.

All the very best.

John 

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 10:19:46 pm »
Great thread and great idea!  Look forward to seeing how you bring this to life, will be a walk down memory lane for all of us who embrace the ethos that it is better to be Juvenile then Senile :)

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 10:29:55 pm »
Great thread and great idea!  Look forward to seeing how you bring this to life, will be a walk down memory lane for all of us who embrace the ethos that it is better to be Juvenile then Senile :)

Good spelling mistake, Andrew. Some say I started off Senile and have become Juvenile :-[

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 10:47:14 pm »
I agree totally with your views on Union Mills locos. And yes their basic design and ruggedness fits your plan perfectly.
One thing that I would add , if you are going for the boyish train set approach is to keep everything flat as that's how our trainsets were. Apart from, of course, the strange tunnels which just fitted over the track.
And don't forget trains made up of a complete hotch potch of wagons, vans and coaches!

Yes please, an improbably short tunnel with no geological requirement really ought to be over the curves at one end of the layout.  This could be visually balanced at the other end by a nice overbridge, approached by worryingly steep gradients to annoy road traffic.  It would feel somewhat disrespectful to some of the layouts of the past that I seek to emulate not to include a motor omnibus on the overbridge.

Perhaps, as a little twist, I'll try to arrange for a permanently broken-down motor omnibus with its furious passengers looking wistfully over the bridge parapet at the trains running reliably (thanks to the mainly Union Mills motive power) below.

With many thanks and all best wishes.

John

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 10:58:43 pm »
It will be nice to see how your layout works out. Have you seen the one built in a coffee table in this months Model Rail Magazine, this forum was mentioned in the read up although I do not see to recall seeing the layout on here.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline broadsword

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 11:45:47 pm »
Thank you for your comments, get your train (or trains ) running. if it suits
an old  layout that's fine, if not just have fun.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 12:00:56 am »
Are you going to simulate the Triang Transcontinental series stock and locos of the day?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything