!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New flat ideas  (Read 1928 times)

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
New flat ideas
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:35:28 am »
From an other thread, some of you will have noticed some of my housing issues.

With any luck, my wife and I will be moving into a one bedroom flat (social housing) and have a bit of stability in our lives.

I am still hoping to do something layout wise, but covering my requirements will be difficult.

I am basically a watch the trains go by person, so a small shunting layout is out. My interest is multiple units.

Concepts, so far.

1. Coffee table layout.

My Pendolino, when I get it) would probably loop back nose to nose.
Probably lack of variety of rolling stock, how do you get a decent fiddle yard in a coffee table.

2. A board that I keep on top of the wardrobe, or similar, and take down to have a running session.

Scenery would have to be limited.
Would I manage to cope with lifting it up and down, getting out stock, putting it all away, with my arthritic spine.
A bit more scope available for stock.

3. A picture rail level, shelf layout all round the lounge.

Longs trains able to run.
Large, but narrow, scenic opportunity.
Would I or anyone be able to see the trains running though.

4. King's Lynn Model Railway Club.

They have an N Gauge layout in development.
It would be a 30+ mile round trip to go.
The club is upstairs, with a narrow, steep staircase. We moved out of a house, as I cannot negotiate stairs very well any more.

SWMBO is open to the idea of me doing something, but does not want clutter. Her own hobby is crochet and we need to have space for large quantities of wool..................

Online Ditape

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
Re: New flat ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 11:43:03 am »
How about one of those divan beds that have a lift top with storage beneath should give you 6'X4' to play with.
Diane Tape

Offline Yet_Another

• N Gauge Society Number: 25847
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 11:54:51 am »
Or a coffee table in the form of a box that the top folds open to double the size of the layout space? Would need a false 'top' to hide any wiring.
Tony

'Things are not done by those who count the cost of every thought or deed.'

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 12:58:05 pm »
Or a fold down layout hinged to a shelf attached to a decent size batten on one wall. Limited height for scenery at the top end but countered by ease of electrics while the baseboard is upright.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 01:31:22 pm »
The first layout I had aged 7, although it was a Triang 00, was on a board hinged to the wall with legs that folded into the underside. I didn't bother with scenery, just had a folded figure of 8 with a flyover my dad made. My dad fitted a pulley system so I could lower it down. It lasted until I had to share the bedroom with my little brother.😫
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Online Ian Morton

• Ebay
    • Modelscape
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 02:29:23 pm »
Don't have a fiddle yard!

Given a large coffee table have one station on each side (or part station, platforms disappearing under a town/bridge, etc) with a scenic divide in the middle.

The multiple units can reasonably sit in platforms or sidings when not running and you can use one station as the fiddle yard and the other as the scene. Having different station designs would allow you to change era, area or even country just by changing the stock.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:40:56 pm by Ian Morton »

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 06:09:12 pm »
Bob,

I would go for the layout stored on top of the wardrobe, but with a light-weight baseboard made from foam-centred board or similar.

Make it about 80cm wide, so you can 12" radius curves at each end, and at least 6' long.

Good luck !

Joe

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 06:20:24 pm »
My two layouts have to store away under two single beds when we have visitors.
One is 6ft by  3ft and the other slightly smaller.
As long as they are not too heavy storage is easy.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 09:50:10 pm »
Or a fold down layout hinged to a shelf attached to a decent size batten on one wall. Limited height for scenery at the top end but countered by ease of electrics while the baseboard is upright.

My idea too. The underside could be boxed in painted the same colour as the wall or made to look like a piece of furniture or use your artistic skills and paint a Mona Lisa so when folded up it looks like a piece of furniture. It would be a little deeper but you could hinge it in the centre too to make it twice the length.
I'm glad you've got your problems sorted and good luck for the future.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 10:10:01 pm »
I like the coffee table idea, probably because my first layout was a 4' x 2' coffee table layout  ;). When I get aroundtuit, it will have a safety glass top which will fit into rebates in the top edge, at the moment it just has a sheet of perspex on top. Some photo's to give you an idea -

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/40/4209-120616225236.jpeg ('night' picture)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/40/4209-120616225009.jpeg (not quite finished layout)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/40/4209-080616234939.jpeg (Station area)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 10:21:32 pm »
change  the mattress  for your layout

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 10:38:14 pm »
What about a micro modular of some sort? Lightweight Kato (or set track) dog bone loops on boards that can be set up at each end and simple metre long 2 or 4 (2 out 2 back) sections that can be connected together for as long as you want. They don't have to be particularly deep, so can stay lightweight, but should still have scope for scenery and the whole layout should pack away small and be able to be dropped onto a table or even the bed (or a couple of planks running across the top of the bed frame) at will.

Being in sections means you can pick up a single section to work on at any time too, so you're not having to stretch over the whole layout to do scenery.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 11:51:10 pm »
change  the mattress  for your layout

:hellosign: A brilliant idea :thumbsup:
      regards Derek.

Online dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12791
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 05:52:11 am »
Don't have a fiddle yard!

Given a large coffee table have one station on each side (or part station, platforms disappearing under a town/bridge, etc) with a scenic divide in the middle.

The multiple units can reasonably sit in platforms or sidings when not running and you can use one station as the fiddle yard and the other as the scene. Having different station designs would allow you to change era, area or even country just by changing the stock.
I've managed to get this type of layout, but slightly smaller into the drawer of a computer desk. Pull the drawer out for a running session and slide it away when finished. The electrics fit into the space for the PC tower.

Dodger

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 07:58:40 am »
I am getting food for thought, thanks folks. Once I get to view the flat, I will have a better idea of which options could work.

I have a small bit of experience with foam board, so this may be the way to go regardless. With my spine issues, avoiding to much heavy lifting is a good idea.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything