!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: choise  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Old Bob One

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: choise
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 02:38:02 pm »
Hi all, Sorry again for taking so long to reply and yes I know its becoming a habit but with my spell of illness, running my Fly Cast stand and everything you can think of taking up time I have only done a little bit to the plan.  I have lengthened the stations a bit and added a crossover to the top station but for the life of me could not do it to the right shelter one. I am still thinking about what to do about it yet. All of the buildings are to scale but I am not sure what to put in the middle. I am thinking of using a ply base with an inch of foam board on top as we have a funny neighbour who likes to complain about everything and being that the layout will be next to her bedroom wall I want to keep the noise down as much as possible. Which would be the best foam to use. I have found 2 different ones which are http://www.wickes.co.uk/Celotex-25mm-High-Performance-Insulation-Board-1200-x-2400mm/p/190545 and http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/advancedsearchresults.aspx?query=Foamboard Sheets&followsearch=0&queryFromSuggest=true&userInput=Foamboard%20Sheets . Knowing me Both are the wrong ones. One last question Peco code 55 or Kato in respect of cost and reliability and  Yes chrispearce plan 3 was based on Madder Valley. Again I hope everyone will forgive me as it has been busy but I shan't be able to start building until at least September I hope. But please keep the suggestions coming as they are helping a lot. I promise that I will not be so long in replying. Take care all. Bob

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 04:42:35 pm »
I think the actual 'best choice(s)' of baseboard has been discussed in detail but ply is a good choice.

With regard to noise reduction, there are several track underlay options including:

WS foam track underlay  - http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000484/1000589/1000678/0/Woodland_Scenics_N_Gauge_Track_underlay/prodlist.aspx

Other suppliers also offer this product.

I'd avoid using the Peco stuff as I understand it degrades and goes to powder quick rapidly. I struggled with the Gaugemaster foam underlay as it didn't quite match the Peco flexi I was using.

If you'd rather cover the entire board perhaps consider Plastazote closed cell foam sheeting that is available from various suppliers. Google the bit in bold to get info and prices.

I'm sure others will suggest probably better ways to keep the noise down but hope this helps a bit.

Dave G

Offline escafeld

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 04:59:41 pm »
If you'd rather cover the entire board perhaps consider Plastazote closed cell foam sheeting that is available from various suppliers. Google the bit in bold to get info and prices.
Dave G

Plastazote was used on the Northallerton layout. There are some pics here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=2560.msg27147#msg27147

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 11:28:08 pm »
B&q sell green foam sheets for insulation under parquet Floors - good for sticking on top of ply.

http://www.diy.com/departments/diall-5mm-laminate-solid-wood-flooring-xps-foam-underlay-5m/1570772_BQ.prd
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:35:56 pm by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 04:01:33 am »
The choice of Peco vs Kato track is a question that has been addressed many different times on this forum often causing a considerable amount of thunder and frothing at the mouth by some. One camp swears by Peco 55 and another are more likely to swear at it. In an nutshell, one might choose Peco for its looks and versatility, whereas Kato Unitrack is considered to have the advantages of greater robustness and ease of set-up. The truth is that neither track type is best for everyone.

There seem to be many opinions of the best underlay as well. I use Trackrite, an Australian product, which is a dense , weather resistant, and chemical resistant foam that I suspect is like the WS stuff. Unlike the WS product, Trackrite is shaped to fit the track, and has bevelled sides so it is very easy to lay and requires less ballast. Comes in rolls of 5m or 10m and has different cross sections. I really like it.

http://www.barcourt.com/trackrite.htm

Webbo

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 06:34:14 am »
The WS track underlay does have a bevelled edge and is available in a roll so it sounds very much like the Ozzy version Webbo describes.

Here's a pic showing the WS stuff before ballasting:

and one after ballasting:

Dave G

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 06:45:51 am »
One last question Peco code 55 or Kato in respect of cost and reliability...

@Webbo has summed these two up nicely; let me add that they're not an "either/or". You can buy a basic Kato starter pack (like the Master 1 set) and have a controller and oval of track that'll be ideal for running in new stock regardless of how complete your main layout is. If you opt for DCC on the main layout, the DC Kato track becomes even more useful for running in stock before installing DCC chips (as is often recommended by the manufacturers). Also useful for doing repairs, where the absence of gradients, loose ballast, and other variables ensures the loco should run perfectly on the Kato track, all else being equal (there are one or two locos that don't like the Kato #4 points).

plan 3 was based on Madder Valley.

A great layout. John Ahern is, in my opinion, the father of modern railway modelling -- and what he achieved is amazing given he was modelling during the 40s when virtually nothing was available beyond scraps of cardboard, wood, wool, and other commonplace materials.

What's often overlooked today is the sense of fun that Ahern focused on. His layout was meant to be a piece of fiction that drew the operator and any observers into its world.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 06:52:45 am »
That's an impressively neat ballasting job there, Dave!

Of course the Kato stuff is already "ballasted," which may appeal to Bob.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 09:38:49 am »
The WS track underlay does have a bevelled edge and is available in a roll so it sounds very much like the Ozzy version Webbo describes.

Can you get it from Osborne's? :laugh3:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 09:40:37 am »
One last question Peco code 55 or Kato in respect of cost and reliability

This thread may help you make a decision, Bob. Of course, no 2 locos are the same e.g. your Fairburn may be totally different to mine (taking an example only) but you would need to go with Kato #4 points or run out of space. I have a feeling when I test more larger Dapol locos the steam failure rate, currently 30%, will rise :hmmm:
Diseasels have a 100% pass rate

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=37681.0

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 02:42:35 pm »
Hi and yes I am still about. Its been a very busy month has August.  What with having a two week holiday in my old stomping ground Northumberland ( the first in 6 years) and doing my Fly Cast stand plus visiting a few of our local preserved railways I have not even thought of doing the model. But now things have quieted down a bit And saved a bit of money I might be able to start on the model. After looking at the plan again I still have a few niggles about it. Like the distance between the left side station and the top station. It looks a bit too short on the plan but may look better full size and there does not seem to be a lot going on down the right side of the plan apart from the shelter sidings. I am wondering about what to put through the middle of the plan. Questions, Questions and so much to think about but I recon that's part of the frustration of building a layout. Take care all Bob.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 03:30:22 pm »
Glad you're still with us, Bob.
As I've said before I think 3 stations in a relatively small space is overdoing things. Personally I would get rid of the one at the top and move the 'Shelter' (bottom right) a bit further up into the bend just south of the river. There is absolutely no reason to get rid of the sidings but rather than have 3 facilities for goods and cattle, have specific industries top and bottom. The latter would justify the 'Shelter' as a halt to bring workers in to e.g. a brewery, dairy etc and would allow you to purchase and run specific types of wagon. Just some thoughts

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 08:05:10 pm »
I got fed up with the old plan as I just could not get it the way I wanted it so I pinched another plan and changed it a bit to suit the measurements I am restricted to. It will have a village feel to the front and an industrial town feel at the back. It should keep
me busy not only building but running as well. Of course any suggestions are always welcome.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:06:23 pm by Old Bob One »

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 10:22:34 pm »
You may need to refine that bottom left hand corner, Bob, as the curves look too close together and I reckon you'll be having collisions there :uneasy:

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2017, 01:09:34 pm »
Yes that corner does need tweaking But I shall do that when laying the track. I know its cheating using some one else's idea but the buildings and the other bits will be different. Its just that I liked the look of the plan and wanted to get started on the layout. Lets hope its the right one at last.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here