!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: choise  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Old Bob One

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
choise
« on: June 06, 2017, 05:07:31 pm »
Here are 3 choices (plans). I am after a layout which we keep me busy running it as well as building it. The trouble is I just cant choose which as I like them all. So what as people who have been at this game a lot longer that I have are your preference 1 2 or 3. You advice would be appreciated.

Which would you prefer.

Online port perran

• Awards
Re: choise
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 06:09:43 pm »
For me, option one gives you greatest flexibility and the chance to sit and just watch trains.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:04:31 pm »
For me, option one gives you greatest flexibility and the chance to sit and just watch trains.

Ditto!

Dave G

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 08:52:05 pm »
Agree. No 1 looks best, operational wise and should give hours of fun.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 09:27:31 pm »
I'd agree with the choice of No.1, but think 3 stations in such a relatively small space is at least one too many, unless you model it as long time closed to passenger traffic so run down/derelict. Think of the fun you can have making it as grotty as you like.

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 09:34:32 pm »
I would go for the first one too.

The thing that worries me is that all the stations look very short... What sort of trains are you thinking of running? I reckon a platform needs to be about 75cm long if you want to run anything more that a DMU. You seem to have a decent amount of space to work with so if it was my layout I think I would have one good-sized station rather than 3 small ones. But in the end it is your railway, so if it feels good, do it!

Keep us posted.

Happy modelling!

Chris
Sometimes I sits and thinks. Sometimes I just sits.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 05:33:48 am »
Another look at the 'preferred' plan makes me agree with the station comments.

NPN has a good idea about a closed run down station or perhaps a small Halt like the Scenecraft 42-005.

Look forward to seeing what you decide.

Dave G

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 05:51:29 am »
Option 1.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 07:47:53 am »
Generally I'd go for option one, platforms could be longer, the minimum on the real railway I'm modelling is 300ft so giving about 2ft in N gauge, and they were tiny country stations with  no goods sheds or cattle yards.
It looks a little toy like, as you have the "Circle of track with the sidings all inside"

I'd either,
bin one of the stations and move a railway accessed factory / industrial there.

Or more likely expand the left hand station into a small town station and Bin the top one.
 Moving the right hand station up a bit and using some of the curve.

The main left hand station I'd have a siding or two outside the circle which would mean you could push them further into the corners.

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 12:00:11 pm »
I'll lob in a vote for No1, too. But that looks like an awfully long reach to the upper-left corner if you have no other access.

Offline escafeld

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 10:44:17 pm »
Plan 1 seems the more interesting.

If you really want to include three stations (as all your plans have three) then maybe you could flip one station over so the platform is on the inner track and the goods yard is on the outer track, which should create more interest is trains having to cross over lines.

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 02:10:33 pm »
Sorry for not answering sooner as I am suffering with asthma and hay fever. The lack of breath when carrying things or walking up hill or things like that I am used to but the coughing though the night and day I am not but we have to make the best of it somehow. Now back to the matter in hand. Thank you all for the advice all duly noted. The layout will be number 1 as I also liked that one a bit more than the rest. It will be set in the 4th era so late 40s early 50s just like me so plenty of steam. I do like the thought of three stations but one will only be a halt with a shelter as it gives me plenty to do running it ( The transferring of goods and bring animals down to the main station for market days etc.). I am working on a revised plan number 1,346 when I get rid of this dam cough. But please keep the suggestions coming as they are a great help. :sorrysign:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 04:09:07 pm »
To suffer asthma and hay fever is a nasty double whammy, Bob.
I find things bad enough with just hay fever so you have my sympathy.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 03:47:27 am »
I feel the majority here are right. Plan 1 has the most potential. I agree with the idea of maybe trading one of the stations for an industry.

One thing though. The line is double tracked and all 3 stations have goods yards. However only the left hand-most station is blessed with crossovers. The other 2 stations' yards can only be served by trains on the inner loop. Would it not be better to include crossovers at the other stations as well? I am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that this is to be UK-based? If it were in the USA then many double-track lines are bidirectional so you could leave additional crossovers out and keep the plan as it is.

For optimum operation I think it may be worth considering addtional crossovers. See what you think. Oddly enough this is where plan 2 has it's merits due to be single track. Each station is self-contained and it would be a very good rendition of a branch or secondary route.

Plan 3 reminds me very much of the Madder Valley by John Ahern!

Just some random thoughts for you to mull over.

It's 0344 and I'm at work. What a ghastly hour to be up  :'(
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Kaian

• N Gauge Society Number: 26669
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 08:53:11 pm »
I would go with 1, but 3 stations seems a bit much for the space.
Maybe 2 with extra sidings
Craig

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here