!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 16126 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #585 on: November 18, 2017, 06:36:38 am »
That's a lot of apples = that's a lot of cider  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #586 on: November 18, 2017, 09:20:54 am »
There are going to be headaches aplenty throughout the country judging by the amount of Samís Cider on the move.....
A black Dean Goods takes the station avoiding line at Port Perran heading westwards towards Blackwater Junction and on to Penzance. Maybe a good night will be had in the "Admiral Benbow" later!

The CLPG workshops in the background have been busy painting the wagon in the red livery of Port Perran Timber merchants.  The CLPG stores van looks resplendent in its Prussian Blue livery.

Thanks for another excellent photo., Martin. Good to see that the spraypainted "Sam's Cider" pallet van matches the handpainted green of the SWB goods vehicles. The "Tarpaulin" LWB wagon looks very good in the red livery of the Port Perran Timber merchants, as does the CLPG stores van in its Prussian Blue livery. I look forward to those appearing at Cant Cove, before Christmas.

On the subject of cider apples, one of the reasons for painting some 5-plank SWB wagons in the apple-green livery was for transporting cider apples and I'm planning to respray some plastic Peco ballast wagonloads dark green to represent cider apples. However, as they would not be a uniform colour, I would have to spot paint lighter green and red, too? For economic reasons, "Sam's Cider" would not have enough of its own goods stock to transport the annual autumn cider apple harvest, so BR Brown 5-plank wagons, like the ones shown in the photo. which Chris (Weave) found, would also be used. Later, in the late 1960s and early 1970s, steel-bodied coal hopper wagons would be used.

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #587 on: November 19, 2017, 07:30:35 pm »

Iíve Been  tidying up Trepol Bay ready for Hayle Christmas show in a couple of weeks.
So....a small running session this evening to see how things are looking.
We have a pannier and autocoach held at signals on Penwinnick girder bridge waiting for an N Mogul heading through Trepol Bay towards Wadebridge  with an empty stock working.
https://youtu.be/1-zT01XhOmo
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #588 on: November 19, 2017, 08:16:54 pm »
Thanks for the nice video, Martin. Always good to see some trains running.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #589 on: November 19, 2017, 08:35:25 pm »
Many thanks for another super film, Martin.  You have managed to achieve that elusive thing for a model railway - a genuine sense of place.  Port Perran and Trepol Bay are, to my mind anyway, in the tradition of 'Sherwood Section', 'Madder Valley', 'Craigshire' and 'Tregarrick' in that one becomes immersed in an imaginary world.  Much as I admire layouts from the other approaches to the hobby, these are certainly my kind of model railways.

I hope you have a good time in Hayle, when it comes.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #590 on: November 19, 2017, 08:55:25 pm »
Both layouts are truly inspirational, John. I fully agree about their 'sense of place'.

Online JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #591 on: November 19, 2017, 09:17:02 pm »
A lovely layout. I'm especially loving the harbour scene.  :thumbsup:

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #592 on: November 19, 2017, 09:18:04 pm »
Thank you John and Chris.
What I set out to achieve was in no way absolute perfection but merely to create a feel for the type of scene evident in North and West Cornwall in the late 50s/early 60s (ish). I wanted untidy, messy and lived in rather than  prototypically correct and unrealistically neat and orderly.
There are many, many mistakes and blemishes (and my modelling skills are far from great) but I wanted to create a make believe railway that has at least some semblance of reality as well.
And, be fun to operate, run and create stories around.

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #593 on: November 19, 2017, 09:21:51 pm »
A lovely layout. I'm especially loving the harbour scene.  :thumbsup:

I agree, John, Terpol Bay Harbour and especially the harbour walls, is a masterpiece. The stone walls look incredibly lifelike.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #594 on: November 19, 2017, 10:18:34 pm »
What I set out to achieve was in no way absolute perfection but merely to create a feel for the type of scene evident in North and West Cornwall in the late 50s/early 60s (ish). I wanted untidy, messy and lived in rather than  prototypically correct and unrealistically neat and orderly.
There are many, many mistakes and blemishes (and my modelling skills are far from great) but I wanted to create a make believe railway that has at least some semblance of reality as well.

:hellosign: Many thanks for the video Martin, your layout is a masterpiece of minature engineering, looking superb. If work allows will see you at Hayle show :admiration:
      regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #595 on: November 19, 2017, 10:26:09 pm »
I also wish you all success at the Hayle Show, Martin, and hope that Derek and you can meet up. Alas, I will not be able to join you but will be thinking of you.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #596 on: November 20, 2017, 01:23:22 pm »

:hellosign: Many thanks for the video Martin, your layout is a masterpiece of minature engineering, looking superb. If work allows will see you at Hayle show :admiration:
      regards Derek.
I look forward to seeing you there Derek.
My Layouts -

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #597 on: November 22, 2017, 03:01:48 pm »
The contract between the Trepol Bay Harbour Trust and Messrs J&W Stuart of Musselburgh for the supply of rope and nets has now been signed after a trial run a few weeks ago.
Indeed the first wagonload of material has just arrived on Trepol Bay harbour:

My Layouts -

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #598 on: November 22, 2017, 04:12:23 pm »
Great work Martin. Your objectives achieved I think.  :beers:

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #599 on: November 22, 2017, 06:17:34 pm »
Absolutely splendid!

Great to see local (to me) industries are doing their bit for the national economy in this exciting new decade of the nineteen-sixties.  Perhaps the Trepol Bay Harbour Trust will request that the van is routed via the Waverley Route to Carlisle.  That way, I can wave to it as it makes its way up to Falahill summit behind a 'V2'.

I look forward to seeing George shunt the van into place at Trepol Bay.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here