!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: After some idea for a 8' x 1'  (Read 445 times)

Offline James C

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
After some idea for a 8' x 1'
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:01:18 pm »
Hi folks,

Actually managed to get things all sorted out and found space for a shelf in the flat that I can use for a railway!

It'll only be an end to ender due to being only a 1 foot wide shelf, but I do get a whole 8 feet length from it.

I'm not the most imaginative of people, and am struggling for a base idea to work from for something so long and thin.

I'm erring towards something like a representation of a through station in the middle-ish at the front with something industrial at one end and along the back accessed as a spur from the station.

Will get the pens and paper out later this week and doddle some ideas and then try and translate them into AnyRail to make sure they'd work.

Any suggestions in the meantime would be gratefully appreciated.

Unfortunately Minehead station that I started ohh so many years ago will end up being cannibalised for this one as I still don't have the necessary space, but needs must.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: After some idea for a 8' x 1'
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 02:03:45 pm »
Is there additional space beyond the 8' for  fiddleyard/cassettes at one or both ends?  Sounds like not, therefore I doubt a through station would be feasible as you'd have nowhere to run trains on and off-scene?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline James C

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 02:12:33 pm »
It "may" be possible to have a fiddle yard on a shelf on an adjacent wall, however my initial thoughts were more that the station was more a means to and end and the industrial part was the main focus, while still allowing to run passenger stock on part of it.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:15:58 pm »
Nick's question is a very important one as you have to decide what length trains you want to run which will dictate how much of the 8ft 'disappears' if there is no chance of a separate yard.
A rough rule of thumb in the scenic part is a train should not exceed more than 1/3rd the length of the viewable section.

Offline James C

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 07:23:01 pm »
Very valid point, and after looking at the location, I reckon (with the Bureau of Infrastructure's permission, as it's encroaching onto her shelves) I could fit a fairly tidy fiddle yard at least 3 tracks wide at one end.

This leads me somewhat towards a more industrial theme at one end with a small passenger terminus on the side, possibly to cater for the workers coming into whatever sort of facilities it ends up being.

Definitely think I'm going to have to forgo the "through station" thoughts and have more 2 car DMU aspirations for passenger traffic with a fiddle yard at only one end.

Offline James C

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 03:09:12 pm »
Just to bring a close to this topic that I unfortunately ended up leaving rather open ended... I've decided to scrap the idea of a "permanent" layout and instead have become a Kato convert working with the T-Trak modular idea.

I have to say I've decided on following our Australian friends guidelines, not least because they work solely in metric, which being a "young'un" I find far easier to stick with when all the track is measured in MM :) Also (and I know that Andrew is an active member on here, so I'm not actively trying to stroke his ego :) ) they seem to be a bit more "all together" with the advice and guidelines.

Plus this way the missus gets to build her own contribution to the layout as well without us getting to fight about what should be on it.

Had my Kato starter M1 set come through today so I can at least "play trains" again in an easily disassembled system, and hopefully a few photos of ongoing work will be forthcoming in the future from me :)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything