!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Layout ideas for 8 by 8 area.  (Read 573 times)

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
Layout ideas for 8 by 8 area.
« on: April 30, 2017, 08:43:17 am »
Hi all

Thanks for your help/ advice on my 6x2 board topic. But I am wondering if I can pick your brains once more. I have another board that is 8x8 with an operator well between 4 and 6 ft points so front is 4ft deep and 8 across and rest is 2 foot across round sides and back. I list below things I am looking for and wonder if anyone could suggest a plan to help.

1. Era wise diesels onwards
2. Will be using ready to run stock
3. Scottish feel to layout
4. Like to build houses scenery etc so looking for a village/town area or two if it works.

Does anyone have any thoughts? If I need to give more info, just let me know.

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Layout ideas for 8 by 8 area.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:29:59 am »
morning

Hi all

Thanks for your help/ advice on my 6x2 board topic. But I am wondering if I can pick your brains once more. THATS WHAT WE ARE ALL HERE FOR

I have another board that is 8x8 with an operator well between 4 and 6 ft points so front is 4ft deep and 8 across and rest is 2 foot across round sides and back. I list below things I am looking for and wonder if anyone could suggest a plan to help.

1. Era wise diesels onwards -  many modellers aim for 1970s / 1980s#

2. Will be using ready to run stock -
3. Scottish feel to layout
4. Like to build houses scenery etc so looking for a village/town area or two if it works.

CLASSES  08, 20, 24 , 25, 26 , 27, 37, 47, deltics if Edinburgh area. I would think br mk 1 stock , mk 2a , b stock. timber, oil, fish, small speedlink wagons if 1980s

Does anyone have any thoughts? If I need to give more info, just let me know

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 09:58:35 am »
I had a look at in my library to get a feel :

Modelling Scotland's Railways by Ian Futers (ISBN: 9780953844883

and have a look at :

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37452-scots-we-hae-scottish-rmweb-layouts/ just to get a feel

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 12:12:48 pm »
I have both Ian Futers books, Scottish Layout Projects and Modelling Scottish Railways. Trying to see if I can fit any of the plans on the board, would prefer a continuous loop plan, but even wondering if I can use a couple of the terminus plans and some fit them into a plan. Currently trying the plan for Carron, to see if it will fit into my area.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 12:15:13 pm »
i would go for a loop plan, two track, maybe one, allow plenty sidings, and interest

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 12:30:37 pm »
i would go for a loop plan, two track, maybe one, allow plenty sidings, and interest

This is where I struggle with sidings. The main line is fine, that's n o trouble but I get stumped with sidings. Any layouts/plans you can recommend with a good sidings plan?

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 12:35:16 pm »
I just lay my track out then move track around.

I would add a passing loop at the front in the station, two small sidings enough to hold loco and 3 coaches / dmu or 5 wagons, and have a fiddle yard at the back of the layout

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 03:39:45 pm »
aloso check :

http://www.freetrackplans.com/603-Crianlarich.php and modify this

http://www.westcoastminiatures.com/

for the buildings

or design own ideas

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:04:15 pm »
Have been playing around with a plan in OO, which I have redone in N, shown below. The plan has the fiddle yard at the front of the layout , a terminus in the middle and a continuous run around the back.
Now, firstly does it work and secondly what could be done to improve it. I think a station at the top would work, but what do others think?

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 07:59:15 pm »
That's a big amount of space in N, and that plan is very much "trains in the scenery", is that what you like? For me that lacks operational interest, but if you're more interested in building scenery (as you say) then it's a good option.

With that amount of space you could comfortably do a double track (even 4-track, although not very Scottish) without it being too 'busy' IMO. As for sidings etc, look at the prototype to get inspiration. Are you thinking WCML, or West Highland Line type stuff? Again, with the quiet branchline stuff there won't be much in the way of sidings.

What about Haymarket as a bit of inspiration? You'll always need to compress/remove sidings, but will give an idea of how they're normally arranged if you want something busier.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 08:24:14 pm »
That's a big amount of space in N, and that plan is very much "trains in the scenery", is that what you like? For me that lacks operational interest, but if you're more interested in building scenery (as you say) then it's a good option.

With that amount of space you could comfortably do a double track (even 4-track, although not very Scottish) without it being too 'busy' IMO. As for sidings etc, look at the prototype to get inspiration. Are you thinking WCML, or West Highland Line type stuff? Again, with the quiet branchline stuff there won't be much in the way of sidings.

What about Haymarket as a bit of inspiration? You'll always need to compress/remove sidings, but will give an idea of how they're normally arranged if you want something busier.

I think you are right about it needing to be double track. Was thinking of a second station to help things fill up. Am thinking West Highland Line type stuff, Haymarket for instance is just too busy for me.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 08:47:53 pm »
For me adding features purely to "use up space" is a bit pointless, and adding a second station in such a short (scale) distance isn't very realistic. Why not add some industry? A distillery, or cement works or something?

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 08:59:59 pm »
would agree with other people's suggestions but to access the goods yard would require a passing loop
and fiddle yard at the back

That's a big amount of space in N, and that plan is very much "trains in the scenery", is that what you like? For me that lacks operational interest, but if you're more interested in building scenery (as you say) then it's a good option. I would be more operational interest based

look at the prototype to get inspiration. Are you thinking WCML, or West Highland Line type stuff?

What about Haymarket or polmadie ???????

as a bit of inspiration?

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 10:06:56 pm »
You've just copied and pasted most of what I've said... ???

Barney - write down the features you want, then devise a plan that satisfies them.

do you want something which will take years to complete, or something quick and easy? Watching trains, or operating? Lots  of shunting, or main line running? Freight or passenger operations? Big scenery?

It seems to me you're coming at this the wrong way, arbitrarily trying to fill the space you have. Consider what you actually want, that may not be a big layout, which is a significant commitment of time and money.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 05:46:56 am »
each to their own

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP