!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout  (Read 3825 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2017, 10:20:18 pm »
Hmm work seems to have slowed down, far too busy playing with trains. I knew putting track down was a mistake!

Matt

Welcome to Newportnobby's world. Must be the Newport connection :hmmm:

Offline mattycoops43

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2017, 02:00:49 pm »
Hi there

Well, playing with... scale modelling I mean, has shown me the need for some better lighting, so I have rearranged, added two extra strip lights so there is a 4' light over each section of the layout. Also I have added some short strips of LED over the engine shed area as it is in a gap between the main lights.

Huge improvement, and I no longer need to keep moving a spotlight around to do any work. I have a 5m strip of LED lights so I am going to add some extra bits of LED lighting over the far corner where the Branchline terminates as it is still very gloomy.

I have mounted Strip lights direct to the eaves, the end one I was able to mount sideways, and the side ones I have added some strips of MDF so that it is shielded from direct view, This means it is all indirect lighting as originally I had the two side lights un protected and they were a bit bright.

Next on to the scenery!

Matt

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2017, 02:02:10 pm »
Forgot to mention, the LED's over the engine sheds are not on in the photos, they are quite effective when they are.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2017, 03:13:53 pm »
Thanks for the progress update, Matt. It looks very good :thumbsup:

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2017, 07:30:32 pm »
Hi there

I sorted the templates for my platforms yesterday and had a go at my first platform today, an island platform. I am so impressed with the Metcalfe kit.

I trimmed down a pencil so the lead was flush against the carriage, put some tape around it so the lead didn't mark the coach and used that to draw the required clearance. I had already trimmed the paper to slot into the side of the rail, which helps hold it in place. This is so easy, start with a big piece of paper, then run your finger around the rail tops so they show through and mark the paper, then you have a line to get the paper to the rail side.

I have never done this before, and found the kit to be up to the usual Metcalfe high standard, very easy to make and easy to get square and true.

I am extremely pleased with the way it has come out, I think the platform gap is spot on and trains run past with no issues. The platform needs some kind of fixing down as it is very slightly bowed in the middle(only by a fraction of a mm)

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2017, 08:55:45 am »
Looks good, Matt.
I think we all try to get the platforms as close to the rails as we can without them being fouled by stock so as to avoid a big gap. However, there are certain locos like the Minitrix 9F and the outside frame Farish class 08 which are wider than most.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2017, 10:28:28 pm »
Platform 2 completed. Got the curve slightly wrong somehow, in the transfer from the template. Means I have a gap in the middle of the curve although I may be able to fix by trimming the far ends a bit, it is only a couple of mm.

Matt

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2017, 07:22:11 am »
Looking good Matt. Large gaps are quite prototypical. I was at Clapham Junction yesterday, Chris Bonnington would have struggled to get across the crevasse between platform and carriage.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2017, 10:11:58 am »
Looks pretty good to me, especially as the normal viewing angle would be from the front - not the side.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2017, 09:00:53 pm »
Work on the platforms still going on. I am still amazed how easy it is to get a great result with these kits even on awkward shape platforms.

I also fitted some led lights over the dark parts, but that got very frustrating. They all worked when I connected the wires up to a spare hornby controller to supply the 12vdc. It is one where I use the 16vac to supply a gaugemaster controller.

However, after I rerouted the LED light wires behind the layout, and soldered them up properly, the lights would only flicker, and the HH controller that was connected seemed to lose power too, the light would come on but not power a train up.  Definitely the hornby controller at fault, but it is a pain!

Matt

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2017, 08:00:25 pm »
Hiya

Quick question on the platforms. I made the left one above wide to accommodate a station building, but it does look a bit on the wide side. Is it too wide? should I have done a bulge out for the building? What is the maximum 'usual' platform width? I am thinking of making that the main bigger station and making the one by the engine sheds a smaller halt that happens to be next to a goods and loco yard.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:49:31 pm by mattycoops43 »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2017, 07:10:25 am »
Hi Matt, the advantage of a wider platform is that there is more space for adding detail... 

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2017, 07:43:11 am »
Agreed!  Station buildings, footbridge, lots of kiosks/refreshment rooms (and countless shops in the modern era).  This lovely long and wide platform will give plenty of room for detail and the end result will not look crowded.  There might even be a couple of Post Office vans on the platform, near the end.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2017, 08:10:42 am »
Wot he said  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2017, 10:22:46 pm »
Thank you for the opinions. I shall go with it, and see what it ends up like. A couple of new additions came to stay today thanks to Lawrence!

Percy now has a platform at the end of the branchline, but it doesn't sit right as the cork ends up and it is just temporarily sitting on some odd bits. First go at the walling for the back edge and it looks good. I may treat it like a halt due to lack of space behind and have a tiny waiting room at the end of the platform, and just leave the passengers to walk up the platform ramp.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here