!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout  (Read 3829 times)

Offline mattycoops43

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2017, 07:54:51 pm »
Today the track was finally laid for the branchline, I have included a passing loop at the end as it will probably have Thomas taking Annie and Clarabel up to the station and it would be nice to be able to change ends.

Loco depot being populated with some diesels in the proper colour. I think the top siding in the main goods yard may become an extra loco siding, with some switched sections. I do seem to accumulate loco's so storage on the layout is always welcome.

And there is a pic of the two tornados having some fun. The funny thing is the Eldest has it all whacking round at full speed, the youngest is telling him off for going to fast and dealing with the derailments caused by the eldest. :D

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2017, 11:47:37 pm »
Hiya

I think I would like to add some uncoupling points for changing ends with loco's. I have never done this in n gauge before. I have heard mention of different couplings, but have only ever used standard couplings in n.

Is there an uncoupler that works with the standard farish/peco couplings or do I need to change them? If I need to change, can I change only the loco couplings as that is the thing i want most to change locos and leave trains coupled up?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2017, 12:46:47 am »
Peco used to do little metal lift arms which attached to their standard elsie couplings, dunno if they still do. They could be operated by below board electromagnets. I bought some years ago, and probably still have them lying around somewhere.

I never got around to experimenting with them, though.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2017, 08:03:47 am »
would advise to spend a bit of money on the dapol magnetic couplers, they work brilliantly.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2017, 06:41:38 pm »
Peco used to do little metal lift arms which attached to their standard elsie couplings, dunno if they still do. They could be operated by below board electromagnets. I bought some years ago, and probably still have them lying around somewhere.

I never got around to experimenting with them, though.

Were they the ones that were an etched strip with a hole in the end that glued over the plastic pin on a standard coupling? That brings back memories.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2017, 06:53:14 pm »
would advise to spend a bit of money on the dapol magnetic couplers, they work brilliantly.

I have just looked them up. They do look great, but are a bit pricey for me at the moment. I think the peco ones which are still available will do what I want.

Thank you.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2017, 10:31:15 am »
You can modify Farish type couplings with the spring to work like the Peco ones. I have done this on Lofthole, documented in the thread. It is a lot easier to modify the couplers on wagons or coaches, so on Lofthole I have modded the ends  of rakes.  I would definitely recommend using sliding permanent magnets rather than electromagnets though.

Take a look at the Lofthole videos to see it in action.

Cheers Jon
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:18:02 pm by PostModN66 »
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2017, 10:25:31 pm »
I eventually got round to trying out my idea for wiring up the track (DC)

This is a fairly temporary control board, made up to try the idea and see how my youngest gets on with it. He seems pretty keen, and my eldest, they love switching switches.

So basically each section of track is controlled by one of 6 switches, each switch sends the track signal to one of three colour coded hand held controllers, the idea being it works as an interlock, no track can be sent to more than 1 controller at a time.

Each switch is over a coloured stripe, relating to the track section on the diagram.

Also there are some switches for isolation areas in sidings for storing locos.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2017, 10:50:28 pm »
Extremely neat and professional looking work, Matt :thumbsup:

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2017, 06:46:59 am »
Puts my 'temporary' set-up to shame!.

Neat job.  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2017, 05:43:57 pm »
Thank you guys, I appreciate the compliments. To be fair though, having seen some of the pro jobs on here, I would not rate it that high. Some of the wires are wrong colours where I had to make changes or ran out, and if I had it locked down I would route it all better so it was all tidy and parallel.

One thing that worked very well is the track diagram. I have spent hours in the past with lining tape laying it out on a board, but this time I printed it out from Word and then laminated it, cut some holes with a scalpel for the switches, and I am very pleased with the result.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2017, 09:34:40 am »
I have spent hours in the past with lining tape laying it out on a board, but this time I printed it out from Word

Lining tape was the route I was going down as I never even knew Word was capable of drawing like that :dunce:
I'd very much appreciate a PM as to 'how to' or even a tutorial on the forum please, Matt.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2017, 06:53:14 pm »
I have spent hours in the past with lining tape laying it out on a board, but this time I printed it out from Word

Lining tape was the route I was going down as I never even knew Word was capable of drawing like that :dunce:
I'd very much appreciate a PM as to 'how to' or even a tutorial on the forum please, Matt.

I had not tried before, I'm not sure it's worth a tutorial as it's very simple and just needs a bit of playing around.

Basically, start with a plain page, hit insert, and then shapes, there are plenty of line shapes available. I used straight lines, quadrants t do the corners and curves to do the random bits. Set the 'weight' for each bit to make it a thick line (4.5 for me) and you can choose the colour in the same option menu.

Clicking on each piece allows you to change the options, and you can drag, and copy and paste, so you can draw a line and then copy it 3 more times to make sure you have 4 straights of equal length, etc etc.

It was fiddly, and it took several attempts to learn how to get it right, but that is just getting familiar with how it works, and when you get it wrong, sometimes the only way is to junk it and start again.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2017, 08:04:37 pm »
Hmm work seems to have slowed down, far too busy playing with trains. I knew putting track down was a mistake!

Matt

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2017, 08:09:13 pm »
Well, at least you're enjoying yourself!
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here